DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

31 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Pretty much every "name" band that's still performing from before the turn of the century seems to charge an arm and a leg - presumably because the older crowd now has disposable income and will spend the money for the nostalgia trip alone.

...except BOC, who will play your county fair for $3 a pop. 

Yeah, this is the first time a singer from my "childhood" (more like preteen to late teens) has passed away and it's really.... I don't know. Weird? I don't think that's the right word, but I grew up with the music of Linkin Park - they're basically the first band I became obsessed with - and it's just so damn heartbreaking. I know he was abused by a male in his family when he was younger so I'm sure that pretty much damaged him from the get-go.

Fucking tragic. RIP Chester, I'll be bumping Meteora today (IMO their best album).

• Like 1

Damn, I didn't know about Chester until just now.  I loved their early stuff and the hits especially were in heavy rotation back then.  Heck there's still a couple I'd play at the gym.  Without knowing how truly bad things are/were he definitely seemed like a guy who's had a fucked up life.  But damn, that voice and the songs really resonated with myself an many others.  The sad thing is that leading up to it he seemed pretty optimistic about the new album so this seems relatively sudden to some.  But that really sucks, RIP Chester.

Maybe I'm reaching on this, but I'm speaking from a place of my own depression. But I wonder if the poor fan reception to the new album triggered something. Like, I know that seems trivial, but something I deal with daily is thinking that the people I love don't like me, and it sits in my mind for days. I feel like something like that may have happened. Linkin Park always cared a ton about their fans, so imagine getting that kind of reaction from people you care that much about.

Also,lots of people checked out on LP after the first 2-3 albums, but seriously, everything up until the last two were good-very good.

Have they said much more, I'm just going to assume this is linked to substance abuse resurfacing again until I'm told otherwise. Never liked them, but you never want this for anyone or their family, friends and fanbase.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:41 AM, Ryan said:

Have they said much more, I'm just going to assume this is linked to substance abuse resurfacing again until I'm told otherwise. Never liked them, but you never want this for anyone or their family, friends and fanbase.

I sadly wouldn't be surprised if that happened, but didn't this happen on what would have been Cornell's birthday?  If so I could see that being the main reason why things went south for him.  I'm also wondering if a day like that was coming up why there wasn't anybody around to be there for him.  It seems like one of those days where you'd need a friend or family member to be around for support, especially since him and Chris were so close.

If one wants to see the power of music, check this out.  While it's not current music I still feel it's worth sharing.  This kind of restored my faith in humanity if only for a few minutes. http://shareably.co/crowd-sings-queen-in-unison/?utm_source=page&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=music

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If one wants to see the power of music, check this out.  While it's not current music I still feel it's worth sharing.  This kind of restored my faith in humanity if only for a few minutes. http://shareably.co/crowd-sings-queen-in-unison/?utm_source=page&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=music

Not gonna lie - that made me a little teary-eyed. 

And all kinds of happy. 

• Like 2

That was special. I've seen pits break out at a show when "Angel of Death" was played on the PA before anyone hit the stage, and I've gotten the rush and the ending comedy of "Doctor Doctor" by UFO and Monty Python being played at Iron Maiden but Queen being sang along to by a sea of people at a goddamn Green Day concert, of all places... yeah. Wow.

• Like 1

How is that even an insult or a thing to be made into an insult? This should probably only apply to people who stuck in a specific time period and refuse to acknowledge good music exists at any point past then or in any other genres.

rockism (uncountable)
(derogatory) A kind of music snobbery that views rock music as superior or normative and values music with "authentic" production values over modern "manufactured" and electronic forms.  [quotations ▲]
2005, J. T. LeRoy, Paul Bresnick, Da Capo best music writing 2005 (page 133)
You literally can't fight rockism, because the language of righteous struggle is the language of rockism itself.
2008, Philip Auslander, Liveness: performance in a mediatized culture (page 126)
Broadly speaking, rockism is the belief that rock is the most important form of popular music […]

• Like 1

The only people who do that shit around me are my father who is 66 or old stupid relatives at weddings as the kids are out on the floor having fun. "You don't listen to that 'jungle bunny' music do you?" I stare at them perplexed and change the subject away from stupid racist shit.

• Like 1