DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Attempting to think of as many songs as possible with a "Hey Jude ending", an eight-bar phrase that is repeated ad nauseum until a fadeout.

The Police- Message in a Bottle

Grand Funk Railroad - I'm Your Captain
Donovan - Atlantis

The Decemberists - Valerie Plame

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

And not just mini-Judes like Crimson and Clover or Ashes to Ashes, real friggin' long ones.

Hey, that's true. Never thought of that. I was just listening to III, so my counterpoint to that would be Tangerine. But, it was a Yardbirds song before, so, that may be why it's not following Jimmy's later writing style. 

Oh, Good Times Bad Times too. It's a good song, but I wouldn't really categorize it under the "great" umbrella, like their other greats. 

• Like 1

Part of it has to do with the fact that most blues structures don't put much emphasis on the chorus. When the Levee Breaks is probably their best known 12-bar blues track and that doesn't have one. Same goes for their covers/unfortunate rip-offs like Dazed and Confused. But they did cover *so* many Willie Dixon songs and he certainly liked to use refrains if not all-out choruses. There's also a lot of Zep songs that use instrumental riffs as functional choruses, like The Ocean and Black Dog.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Part of it has to do with the fact that most blues structures don't put much emphasis on the chorus. .

I had not entered Zep's blues and funk influences into the equation!  Now it makes sense.

19 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

There's also a lot of Zep songs that use instrumental riffs as functional choruses, like The Ocean and Black Dog.

Interesting you should bring this up because it was actually The Wanton Song, Kashmir, and The Immigrant Song that made me start thinking about the No Chorus thing.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule.  Communication Breakdown and Rock & Roll have distinct and legendary choruses but are still badass Zep tunes. 

Everything they've done was badass. Well, except for the last two albums. Achilles... (my favorite of theirs), For Your Life, Nobody's Fault But Mine, In The Evening and Carouselambra are the only things I can listen to. 

To be fair, Jimmy's addiction greatly hampered his ideas and playing style at that point ('76-on). A lot of it was muscle memory and technical sloppiness. That doesn't mean I dislike it, hell, I love the Knebworth '79 show, but the guy was in a bad place. Those long layoffs (barring Robert's accident) and his vices ruined the fluidity of his style. 

Which is a hell-of-old European folk song, but Jimmy Page based their version on Fred Gerlach's version, which was based on the *amazing* Lead Belly version. I assumed for a long time Zep was doing it as a straight-up Lead Belly tribute but I guess Page only got into that stuff once he heard white English folkies perform it.
I'm assuming most Zep heads have heard one of Lead Belly's recordings of it so here's Gerlach's! This version, while showcasing plenty of talent, is so derivative that he even keeps the spoken-word intro.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 0:20 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Off the top of my head, "Caught Somewhere In Time", "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner", and that "Wildest Dreams" single are particularly repetitious, and I think "Caught" actually does come close to a fadeout.

Out of the Silent Planet as well.

Also a lot of them do it on the bridge instead of the finish of the song.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:48 PM, odessasteps said:

I dont think we have a ska thread, but i spent most of the day listening to Prince Buster after looking for music bumpers  for the new podcast. 

I'm going to see Choking Victim in Chicago on the 16th next month. It'll be fun to get out of the sticks for a change. 

Also, the friend I'm going with just recorded me half of one of his King Tubby LPs but his player fucked up and he couldn't finish it. I love dub but am not a big reggae/ska head, though I've been friends with 3rd wave ska kids for years. 

Anyway here's some tunes 

and the new Cock Sparrer 

Okay, so when I was sixteen and staying up past my bedtime, I wasn't hallucinating when I saw a video on at four in the morning on MTV with Tina Weymouth dressed like a jellyfish.

I also did not hallucinate the live performance in 2012 in Monterrey by Garbage when Shirley Manson let her accent slip and the rest of the band performed wearing lucha masks.

• Like 1