DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

This is the last song I heard this year, played by a local band on Channel 3 WCIA, while our Crack WCIA Newsteam were getting drunk and filming it. 

Which of course can only remind me of something far more positive

YamakawaBBM99cardfront.jpg

I CAN ONLY ASK THAT MUCH FROM THIS YEAR GODDAMMIT GIVE ME A NEW YAMAKAWA

No, I don't really want to eat a load of sleeping pills immediately, no matter how bad the year went. 

It was 

Tower - S/T 

Ripper - Experiment of Existence

You can probably find both of those pimped in the metal thread. I have received some punk tapes and 7"s from this year but still playing catch-up. Everything else is burned stuff and at a glance I see one ridiculously deranged, glue-sniffing German hardcore record, my friend's long-term band's final EP (which is depressing as hell), a fair to middling power metal record, a much better and more ridiculous power/speed metal record and... nada. But not everything is filed by year in my computer. 

Given things, I think it's best we just let this one slide. Maybe just say the top ten for last year is Purple Rain, Songs I'll Always Sing, Songs from a Room, Ziggy Stardust... take your pick. 

I definitely have a top nine, and the top five is all stuff I return to frequently and will for another few months at the least. I just don't want to wrangle again.

1. Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
2. Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits
3. ScHoolboy Q - Blank Face LP
4. Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch
5. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
6. The Hecks - The Hecks
7. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
8. The Avalanches - Wildflower
9. The Fat White Family - Songs For Our Mothers

Ten bounces between three different records (Gonjasufi, Scallops Hotel, Solange), most often landing on Scallops because Milo's my favorite MC.

Honestly the big thing that cut into my music intake this year was being hobbled and house bound, counter intuitive as that seems. I take public transport so I used to take a longer route on the way home to try new records, and if I vibed with what i heard I'd put it on the big speakers when I got back to the house.

Maybe instead we could put together like a favorite songs list? Everyone gets one track, so we end up with like some retrospective playlist.

New RTJ could arguably be more political but it's still great. "Thursday in the Danger Room" though... ugh, it just wrecks me. Didn't help hearing that right after what would have been a late friend's 30th birthday. 

Oh, and I'd be down for a favorite tracks thing, specifically because my Rixe 7"s just came in the mail and the better of them was from last year. French-speaking Oi! with a black panther on their logo and a name that translates to "brawl", what's there not to love? 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

New RTJ could arguably be more political but it's still great. "Thursday in the Danger Room" though... ugh, it just wrecks me. Didn't help hearing that right after what would have been a late friend's 30th birthday. 

I don't think it should have been more political, but I also see where you are coming from.  I think they balanced the album really well between the political and making fun hip-hop songs.  I've heard people say that they didn't like this as much as 1 and 2, but I think this one is great.  I've been trying to catch up on all the music I missed from last year, but keep coming back to "Run the Jewels 3" and "Awaken My Love."

The political thing is part of a convo I had with a friend of mine on Facebook today about the album. He said that Killer Mike has been in the mix all year (talking to Bernie, etc.) but there are only two or so songs that hit on anything political, then said "well, they probably finished it before the election". And also, "well, it's also not MY band" haha

Dunno if this is the best place for this, but if you missed Sturgill Simpson on "Saturday Night Live" last night, get to Googlin'. Fantastic performances. I used to think he was the future of country music, but he's transcending country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jstout said:

Dunno if this is the best place for this, but if you missed Sturgill Simpson on "Saturday Night Live" last night, get to Googlin'. Fantastic performances. I used to think he was the future of country music, but he's transcending country.

Since you dig Sturgill, maybe you'll enjoy this: