DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Love how the midget pulls out a tape in that video, not even a CD, which in those days were a fortune. So much for treasure! Also funny you mention Jericho because he's being tormented on The Eric Andre Show right now. The segment is Hannibal and Eric convulsing while smoke starts to rise from the desk, then Jericho steps in a hole in the floor. He says absolutely nothing to either of them.

oh and RIP Criss Oliva

The Descendents are incredible live. 35 songs in about 70 minutes including two encores. Fucked Up as the opening act made the night even better.

On 10/11/2016 at 3:36 AM, Curt McGirt said:

New Descendants material is pretty good too. Fucked Up I can take or leave, but cool that they got to open for them. 

New album is incredible. They played a lot off it and it was great. I was just sad they didn't have physical copies of it available. I can easily listen to it on YouTube but I wanted to get the CD to support the band, but at least I got the tour shirt so they got some of my $$$.

I got a $15 ticket to see Megadeth at Pru Center this Friday. No offense to Megadeth but I'm way more excited to see Suicidal Tendencies (who are one of the opening acts). ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI JUST ONE PEPSI!!!!

My friend that played the new Descendents for me pre-purchased both the album and the EP they released on the side. Dunno if either are still available, or if you're into vinyl, but they're worth looking for. 

I heard Suicidal are playing "Subliminal", and surely they're playing "Institutionalized". (Good luck sitting through anything not off that first LP) Megadeth are apparently good live as always but it's Megadeth, so as far as that tracklist goes too, caveat emptor. 

• 2 weeks later...

For reasons unknown, on each of the first five dates of the current leg of their tour, Widespread Panic has ended their encore with a different Black Sabbath cover.

They also haven't played any song twice as of yet.

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

For reasons unknown, on each of the first five dates of the current leg of their tour, Widespread Panic has ended their encore with a different Black Sabbath cover.

They also haven't played any song twice as of yet.

When Panic played MSG back in 2004 on Halloween they did lots of covers of NYC bands songs. The first night the first set ended with a Ramones medley. We were flipping out. 

http://downloads.tankcrimes.com/album/rendered-obsolete

Speaking of punk! The new Kicker record is really good. A bunch of old farts (one ex-member of Neurosis, the singer was the Subhumans' [UK] roadie for years) playing just plain old irritated, beat up punk rock with lyrics about being old and irritated. OLD I tells ya! The last song is about wanting to get a MedicAlert necklace for fuck's sake. Not sure if it's as good as their first album, Not You, yet (which is worth buying for the album art alone) but on first spin it rules. 

EDIT: Can't blow it up any bigger, which is why its worth having the gatefold 

Not+You+front.jpg

There's a floating piece of Big Ben with Lemmy hanging out on it, faceless corporate drones getting devoured by a Lovecraftian Sarlacc pit, a burning university, crusties and their bus, a bullet going through the singer's head... a lot of stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

down to <20 vinyl albums i'd love to own. have a collection of around 400. the wife & i have been picking them up when we see something we like, etc. made a "wanted" list about 5 years ago when we moved into a new house. the list started at round 75 albums that we've mostly acquired. stuff keeps getting added, but we're both super happy with the albums we've amassed.

Most notable is that we still need all 3 of Hendrix's albums. i've got a 2 album greatest hits collection, but as Hendrix is my favorite guitarist ever, i've been really selective about his stuff.

Random thought I had today:

Why does Zeppelin get so much shit for stealing music when the Ramones seemingly get a pass, despite being more obvious about it? LZ at least was more creative than the Ramones and didn't rely on the same handful of songs to rewrite over and over again, with some exceptions. 

I must state that I'm biased, being a Zep fan and only really liking one Ramones song ("I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend"). 

Anyways, thoughts?