DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Alright so I decided it'd be worthwhile to take a day and pick through the new streaming things to find things I could pimp instead of just going "MY SOURCES LET ME DOWN SO NOTHING IS GOOD." Especially since that DJ Rashad record "Double Cup" was out last week and that thing's dominated my stereo since. SO! Here's some streams!

The PR line on this one talks about "the intersection between rhythmic and ambient music." I just think it's damn good electronic music.

Posted Image
"Chance of Rain" by Laurel Halo

1. Dr Echt

2. Oneiroi

3. Serendip

4. Chance Of Rain

5. Melt

6. Still/Dromos

7. Thrax

8. Ainnome

9. -Out

Here's one I'm admittedly still working on figuring out, but so far I like it. Dark Detroit Rap. Like, "Dark for Detroit Rap" Dark. Also, this one's a bandcamp page so you've probably got more than a week to get to it.
Posted Image

"No Poison No Paradise" by Black Milk

1. Interpret Sabotage (feat. Mel)

2. Deion's House

3. Codes and Cab Fare (feat. Black Thought)

4. Ghetto DEMF (feat. Quelle Chris)

5. Sonny Jr. (Dreams) [feat. Robert Glasper & Dwele]

6. Sunday's Best

7. Monday's Worst

8. Perfected On Puritan Ave.

9. Dismal

10. Parallels (feat. Ab)

11. X Chords

12. Black Sabbath (feat. Tone Trezure)

13. Money Bags (Paradise)

This is maybe the most NPR album stream possible: A "Best Of" compliation by an overlooked and mysterious Nigerian funk pianist, put out by David Byrne's Luaka Bop record label. 

Posted Image

"Who Is William Onyeabor?" by William Onyeabor

1. Body And Soul

2. Atomic Bomb

3. Good Name

4. Something You Will Never Forget

5. Why Go To War

6. Love Is Blind

7. Heaven And Hell

8. Let's Fall In Love

9. Fantastic Man

10. The Way To Win Your Love

11. Love Me Now

12. Jungle Gods

13. When The Going Is Smooth And Good

Why isnt Killer Mike all over the radio? He has some catchy ass beats for all of the young folks, great lyrics for fans that appreciate lyrics, and the most consistent delivery in rap today. He should be the biggest thing in popular music today if you ask me.

He's easily my favorite solo artist in rap today. Pl3dge is a great frigging album.

Why isnt Killer Mike all over the radio? He has some catchy ass beats for all of the young folks, great lyrics for fans that appreciate lyrics, and the most consistent delivery in rap today. He should be the biggest thing in popular music today if you ask me.

Answer to this is basically that all the things that make Killer Mike so great are irrelevant to radio play now. If anything, great lyrics make him less likely to be played.

POS's We Don't Even Live Here album from last year has been fully remixed from end to end by Marijuana Death Squad.

Free download of the complete WDELH/MDS/RMX album if you sign-up for rhymesayers mailing list:  http://rhymesayers.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ddb68d53de6a64f41c0b18b42&id=2795133319

He's easily my favorite solo artist in rap today. Pl3dge is a great frigging album.

Is this a serious question?  I love Killer Mike, but you can't really say stuff like "I'm glad Reagan is dead" on the radio.  You can't play music by people who are willing to question the audiences value system.  You'd be setting yourself up to hear a bunch of complaints.

I doubt there's too many people that care for John Mayer around these parts, but I really love "Continuum" as an album. With that said, I do not know if there is a more awful, out of place song on a good record than "Waiting on the World to Change."  It just doesn't fit with the album for me. I normally start the album on "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)"

Yeah its my favorite album by far. I think Waiting belongs more on Battle Studies, which outside of Heartbreak Warfare was a disappointment as an album.

I'm more excited to possibly see them on the festival circuit next year than I am to hear their new album.

They were all sorts of great at Bonnaroo that one year, but you probably already know that.  

You should get excited for the new album, though!  They are currently streaming the whole thing for free and it's just so different from everything else they have done.  Loved it on the first listen and AF albums usually take a few listens to get in to.

• Like 1

No one's going to like what I have to say about Reflektor, so here's some streams!

Well, okay, it's kind of a light week, but the two I have here are pretty dang excellent.

Excellently crafted hook-laden rock, now with extra fuzz pedals!

Posted Image
"Surfing Strange" by Swearin'

1. Dust in the Gold Sack 

2. Watered Down 

3. Mermaid 

4. Parts of Speech 

5. Melanoma 

6. Echo Locate 

7. Loretta's Flowers 

8. Glare of the Sun 

9. Unwanted Place 

10. Young 

11. Curdled

A bandcamp hosted tease of a record that is currently heavy in my rotation. Super sparse, atmospheric guitar muisc.

Posted Image

"Overdue" by Circuit Des Yeux (SIDE A ONLY)

1. Lithonia

2. Hegira

3. Nova 88

4. Acarina

Man totally addicted to this song at the moment. Can't get enough.

Gotta love a 12-string.  Could do without the woman's voice, though.

That's one of the things I like best about the song, actually.

This is stellastarr*. I lived up in Boston for a few years. Their modern rock station WFNX was REALLY good and played a lot of stuff you don't hear on the radio. They introduced me to a lot of stuff like Polyphonic Spree and bands of that ilk. Anyways, they played the HELL out of this song. I thought this band was going to be tremendously huge but they didn't make it for whatever reason. I saw them live and they were earth-shatteringly great.This was their first single and I love it so much. Great layered Pixies-style vocals, great guitar solo, catchy chorus, etc.

Yes, Weezer got really tiresome. But they made two perfect albums. And I will also listen to arguments that the Green Album is perfect, too.Rivers Cuomo put out a lot of solo stuff that never made a Weezer album. A lot of this stuff is terrific. Like some of the best songwriting ever terrific. This is my favorite song he released. It's one of the best power-pop songs ever written. I really wonder what the full Weezer band would have made of this but in terms of a low-fi single -- it's 2:30 of verse/chorus/versus distorted guitar catchy background singing perfection.

So, who else read about Metallica liking Justin Bieber and is about ready to Benoit them out of their iPods and CD collections?

I'm sure they're really broken up about someone who cares what they say about Justin Bieber in 2013 and uses "Benoit" in that manner no longer being a fan.

• Like 1

That's one of the things I like best about the song, actually.

Same here it was what put it over the top for me. Loving this Charley Patton song with Henry Sims singing now. Annoyed though that I can't figure out the lyrics in the 4,5 and 6th lines though. 

MMLP2 has leaked and some of the songs have made their way to YouTube. Of course, they keep getting taken down but so far I would say it's a mixed bag. Is anyone interested?

Eminem sure has a thing for chicks that sound like Rihanna, including Rihanna. But, I actually really really like most of this cd..and I havent said that for an Em cd in ten years.

"Love Game" with Kendrick Lamar, and "Rhyme or Reason" are two dope tracks.

EDIT: Awww.,,,he finally squashed the beef he had with his mom.