DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

On 2/13/2016 at 3:14 PM, supremebve said:

He's the perfect rock star for our time.  He's insane, but there is enough truth, entertainment, and flat out brilliance that he's not a joke.  For instance, I 100% believe that he called Taylor Swift about that line in his song.  Taylor's people didn't like it after the fact and they put a statement out about it.  You want to know why I believe Kanye, because there is no reason to say that he did if he didn't.  It's kind of like why I like people who like to fight.  People who like to fight rarely lie, because they don't really give a fuck if you're mad.  What are you going to do, fight them?  They like fighting, that shit would probably make their day.  Kanye does not give a fuck what Taylor Smith's fans think, he called her to see if she cared, but I don't even think he cared that much about that.  Kanye has enough fans that Taylor Swift's fanbase is either a part of his fanbase or someone who would never be a part of his fanbase.  Why would he give a damn about what any of them thought?  He's not going to change any of their minds.

I'm not saying I told you so, but I did tell you so.

• Like 2

I like what Bill Simmons said about Kanye in his promos for his show on HBO:

"I believe that Kanye is a genius. It's just that he knows it, and that's the problem."

He's the rockstar we need and deserve in the 2010s.

So, I avoided listening to David Bowie - Blackstar in the immediate wave after his death. I was never the biggest Bowie fan (although I enjoy some of his work very much, I am by no means a Bowie completionist), and I didn't want to get swept up in some outpouring of "Bowie the greatest ever" kind of thing. I think it would be fair to say I probably care about him as much as "a guy that made it okay to be weird for a lot of people" as I do as a musician, because I think I'm old enough to appreciate just how important that was for a lot of his fans.

Listened to it today. On a third spin now which tells you something has passed the sniff test right there. It's good. It's really, really good. Like, I have a hard time imagining he has anything else on this level in recent times. It's just such a mature album. Moody, dark, yet in moments uplifting. Mysterious. And the way Bowie can shift so effortlessly even within one track from moments of pop/rock into doing "shit David Bowie likes doing because he knows it sounds good to him" is the kind of thing very few people can lay claim to.

Not reinventing the wheel by praising Blackstar at this point, but yeah, that's a hell of a way to go.

Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now

• Like 1

In this "load music into all my brain to keep from thinking" phase I'm in right now, I've come to a particular realization: Deerhunter is the best indie rock band and I'm not really sure it's close. Get your "huh huh low bar" joke out of the way and like think about it: there was a thread on the old board where it was like "what bands or musicians have five straight great albums" and how few modern bands came up. I mentioned then that Deerhunter was on their way and hey guess what they fucking did it. 

-Microcastle for real specificity in tone and atmosphere, how to evoke mood without waves of affect
-Weird Era Cont for being hysterical and ambitious and playful, working between multiple songwriters
-Halcyon Digest as Cogent Statement On The Generation that also happens to jam hard as hell. 
-Monomania as fanatical obsession with a certain sound above all context or trend
-Fading Frontier as exceedingly earnest and straightforwardly sentimental.

that pretty much covers every part of "indie rock" in them five records. And they're all great records, with maybe like two not-great songs among all five.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

So, I avoided listening to David Bowie - Blackstar in the immediate wave after his death. I was never the biggest Bowie fan (although I enjoy some of his work very much, I am by no means a Bowie completionist), and I didn't want to get swept up in some outpouring of "Bowie the greatest ever" kind of thing. I think it would be fair to say I probably care about him as much as "a guy that made it okay to be weird for a lot of people" as I do as a musician, because I think I'm old enough to appreciate just how important that was for a lot of his fans.

Listened to it today. On a third spin now which tells you something has passed the sniff test right there. It's good. It's really, really good. Like, I have a hard time imagining he has anything else on this level in recent times. It's just such a mature album. Moody, dark, yet in moments uplifting. Mysterious. And the way Bowie can shift so effortlessly even within one track from moments of pop/rock into doing "shit David Bowie likes doing because he knows it sounds good to him" is the kind of thing very few people can lay claim to.

Not reinventing the wheel by praising Blackstar at this point, but yeah, that's a hell of a way to go.

Look up here, I'm in heaven
I've got scars that can't be seen
I've got drama, can't be stolen
Everybody knows me now

Lazurus is an amazing song.  The way it changes, shifts, and builds to a crescendo all while maintaining the same mood.  His haunting vocals, those drums, and the lyrics that tell the story of a man who had it all, lost it, and is ready for the freedom his death will bring.  I don't know who is going to do it, but I'm ready for the hip-hop producers to get their hands on this one.  There are multiple breaks that are going to lead to some straight heat once it gets chopped up.

On 8/2/2016 at 7:52 AM, BL88 said:

In this "load music into all my brain to keep from thinking" phase I'm in right now, I've come to a particular realization: Deerhunter is the best indie rock band and I'm not really sure it's close. Get your "huh huh low bar" joke out of the way and like think about it: there was a thread on the old board where it was like "what bands or musicians have five straight great albums" and how few modern bands came up. I mentioned then that Deerhunter was on their way and hey guess what they fucking did it. 

-Microcastle for real specificity in tone and atmosphere, how to evoke mood without waves of affect
-Weird Era Cont for being hysterical and ambitious and playful, working between multiple songwriters
-Halcyon Digest as Cogent Statement On The Generation that also happens to jam hard as hell. 
-Monomania as fanatical obsession with a certain sound above all context or trend
-Fading Frontier as exceedingly earnest and straightforwardly sentimental.

that pretty much covers every part of "indie rock" in them five records. And they're all great records, with maybe like two not-great songs among all five.

They're also really fucking amazing live. I haven't listened to Deerhunter since Halcyon Digest, though. They're another band I can thank Nine Inch Nails for getting me into their music, they were an opener on the "Lights in the Sky" tour in 2008. The other bands on that tour that I got heavily into were BORIS and A Place to Bury Strangers. Turns out the opener for the Nashville date was HEALTH, and I didn't start to appreciate their music until about a year after that show. I'm still so pissed I didn't get to see BORIS.

So has anyone been digging the new stuff De La Soul has been leaking online?

Its very different but I'm really digging it. I mean its the first sample free album they've ever made (for various reasons) everything so far has been super chill and just a joy to listen to.

James

You know, I really love "Bottomless Pit" by Death Grips. Considering how highly I think of Swans' "Glowing Man," it may well be that my favourite music of 2016 is accessible, mainstream(ish) efforts by experimental bands. So be it.

• Like 1

So I got my copy of De La Soul & The Anonymous Nobody

I can't express in words how this record makes me feel at this time. I mean it is De La Soul, who have never released a bad full album. But this album... this album is so above and beyond what I was expecting. The only word to describe ti is... Joyous!

James