DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

On 4/11/2016 at 9:42 AM, supremebve said:

I don't think I can think of a recent album that starts off nearly this good.  I could write a similar review of the tracks between Waves and Wolves, but that will have to wait until another day.

That portion of the album could be an album separate from TLOP and I'd buy 10 copies. Last half of the album, from Waves to Wolves, is my favorite parts. It's what keeps me coming back. And I still love FACTS.

EDIT: Damn, I meant to edit this point in with my prior post about the Rock 'n Roll HOF. My bad!

9 hours ago, Casey said:

If you ask Gene Simmons that question, he might punch you in the mouth.

He's just jealous that he'll never write a song as great as "I Want You To Want Me" or "Fuck Tha Police".  Or "Perfect Strangers" for that matter (since DP are getting inducted too).

• Like 2

That's the opening couple seconds of a Bowie tune, I want to say "Fashion" is the answer.

Edited to add: For comparison, I ask you listen closely to the very beginning of this-

asj

Alright. This has been frustrating me and I figure if any place I frequent will have someone with this viewpoint, it'll be here.

Explain to me why it's bad that pop stars (like, oh, say, Beyonce) have a lot of cowriters on their records, but directors get a majority of the credit for good films. What is actually the difference.

I would understand this argument a lot better coming from people that are all about, like, local theater or independent film, but that's not the kind of people I'm seeing dismiss Lemonade for having multiple co-writers on it.

1 hour ago, BL88 said:

Alright. This has been frustrating me and I figure if any place I frequent will have someone with this viewpoint, it'll be here.

Explain to me why it's bad that pop stars (like, oh, say, Beyonce) have a lot of cowriters on their records, but directors get a majority of the credit for good films. What is actually the difference.

I would understand this argument a lot better coming from people that are all about, like, local theater or independent film, but that's not the kind of people I'm seeing dismiss Lemonade for having multiple co-writers on it.

There isn't a more fraudulent argument for why a pop singer isn't good than, "She doesn't even write her own stuff."  It is just a way to hate on someone when they don't really have any basis for their criticism.  Have you ever heard anyone say, "Frank SInatra sucks, he didn't even sing his own songs?"  Frank Sinatra was legendary because of his performance of those songs, not because he wrote them or composed them or anything else.  Same with Beyonce, Whitney Houston, or most other pop singers. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2016 at 6:51 PM, BL88 said:

Please keep in mind I don't think that having song writers is inherently a bad thing, and I don't actually care at all, I've just been thinking about this and wanted to give an argument for the other side. I think it boils down to music being viewed historically as an inherently more personal medium. We hear one person's voice, and thus subconsciously assume that they are singing about themselves, their surroundings, their experiences. It's easy to see why people would feel betrayed when they learn that someone whose viewpoint they identified with isn't actually their own. It's some bald dude from Nashville. Film is a medium that is about other people. We are removed, we see other people doing things. There is a level of visual performances that we don't get from a radio single.

That's the argument I think someone would try and make intellectually, but it's BS. It boils down to racism. No one cares that Elvis didn't write his own songs. They care that Beyonce doesn't. It's a way to declare minority artists as artistically and intellectually inferior.  

So I had no idea that Culture Club had dropped a single in 2014, done a few shows and announced an album and tour, only for Boy George to have throat/vocal problems.  I'd never heard this song or known it existed.  It turned up on my Spotify "Discover Weekly" (the 30-song algorithmically generated playlist they give you every Monday if you're a paid subscriber) and I've listened to it probably 30 times.  I really hope George gets healthy enough to finish the album, because if this is any indication I'll love it.

Heads up: TM/Live Nation is doing their $20 tickets with no fees sale this week for a bunch of shows this summer. I got one for Dashboard and TBS at Jones Beach and will probably get for Slipknot, the Goo Goo Dolls and Black Sabbath as well.