DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Are you really asking for an artist to knowingly create "timeless" tracks? C'mon dude.

No, I'm just saying that he has timeless tracks in his catalog, and I don't think any of them are on this album.  I think he should create the music he wants to create.  As someone who listens to music with a critical ear, I think that this is an album that sounds really good today, but I don't know how it will sound in a couple of months.  Kanye is an artist that seems to be devolving in scope, both intentionally and unintentionally.  I'm someone who can't in good conciousness call Yeezus bad, but I also don't know what the hell to do with it.  It just feels unpleasant, and why the hell do I want to go back to an unpleasant experience?  I think that is the exact album he wanted to make, but it is also not an album I want to hear.  TLOP is a better album, but there are parts that push me away more than it pulls me in. 

Joey Feek, one half of the Joey and Rory duo, has passed away. Her fight with terminal cancer has been well documented. It would seem she hung on as long as she could in order to spend time with her family, especially so her youngest child would be able to form some memories of her.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/joey-rory-singer-joey-feek-dead-at-40-20160304

AC/DC has cancelled the rest of their current U.S. tour. Frontman Brian Johnson has been ordered by his doctors to stop touring or he'll risk complete hearing loss. The plan is to make up dates later this year with a guest vocalist.

AC/DC has cancelled the rest of their current U.S. tour. Frontman Brian Johnson has been ordered by his doctors to stop touring or he'll risk complete hearing loss. The plan is to make up dates later this year with a guest vocalist.

Apparently, Johnson is downplaying the whole hearing loss thing and there are rumors now that the band used this as an excuse to get rid of him. 

I have a sense that I know how this'll go over, but I got to try.

There's this musician I admire tremendously named Mesita. He's someone who, likes me, operates out of a bedroom. Unlike me, he is a genius and has made so much incredible music. Samples:

That last video is especially relevant. It's the first track to his album "Here's To Nowhere," which is the album that introduced him to me and just blew me away. The guy is an inspiration to me.

Anyways, he's running a kickstarter to try and get vinyl pressed of Here's To Nowhere, so, hey- here's a youtube video of the full album, and if you like it, please consider backing the kickstarter. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Heard there is a new Saves the Day album coming out soon. I am looking forward to that even if the only original member left is the lead singer.

This new Kanye track that leaked is making me so damn excited for this summer album.  Can't even fathom how much work he has in the bag right now. 

Saint Pablo is the song and its disappearing left and right, but not that hard to find.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2016 at 2:41 PM, supremebve said:

No, I'm just saying that he has timeless tracks in his catalog, and I don't think any of them are on this album.  I think he should create the music he wants to create.  As someone who listens to music with a critical ear, I think that this is an album that sounds really good today, but I don't know how it will sound in a couple of months.  Kanye is an artist that seems to be devolving in scope, both intentionally and unintentionally.  I'm someone who can't in good conciousness call Yeezus bad, but I also don't know what the hell to do with it.  It just feels unpleasant, and why the hell do I want to go back to an unpleasant experience?  I think that is the exact album he wanted to make, but it is also not an album I want to hear.  TLOP is a better album, but there are parts that push me away more than it pulls me in. 

OK, so I've come back to TLOP and I beginning to think this album is better than what I originally thought.  I think the first four songs on this album are perfect.  Ultralight Beam is basically a celebration of the gratitude him and especially Chance the Rapper, feel when they look at where they started and how far they've come.  It really could have been a typical hip-hop braggadocio anthem, but they wrapped it in a choir robe and took it to church.  It is one of those songs that makes Kanye a special artist.  He can be so ridiculous and over the top, but he's at his best when he's down to earth and relatable.  This is him being over the top and ridiculous in his ability to be down to earth and relatable.  

Father Stretch My Hands 1 & 2 are essentially the 2 best Future songs I've ever heard (I'm not a Future fan).  I don't know what the hell thesesongs are about, but they sound so fucking good.  It is like Kanye heard that people liked Future and Young Thug and decided that he could do that shit better, and then he did.  

Famous is essentially a song about Kanye being better than everyone, and by the end you kind of believe him.  Rihanna is not a great singer, but if the history of hip-hop has taught us anything, being able to sing is overrated.  Her voice fits this track perfectly, and Kanye and Havoc put together an absolute banger.  People spent so much time talking about the Taylor Swift line, but why would you give a fuck about her when listening to this bad ass song?  No one gives a fuck about your feelings Taylor, Kanye is showing the world why you shouldn't win any more awards.  This is one of those songs that Kanye fans can point to and tell Kanye haters to go fuck themselves.

I don't think I can think of a recent album that starts off nearly this good.  I could write a similar review of the tracks between Waves and Wolves, but that will have to wait until another day.

On 4/8/2016 at 7:45 AM, J.T. said:

What kind of awesome world do we live in when Cheap Trick and NWA are in the same class of inductees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?

If you ask Gene Simmons that question, he might punch you in the mouth.