DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Crap. I might have to go with REM. Trying to think of the order.

I think Automatic for the People is probably my favorite album of there's. But they don't really have anything too great after that, aside for a few great songs. And directly in front chronologically is  Out Of Time, which I really don't like (aside from "Me In Honey.")

So I think I'd have to go Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green.

I think that's an awesome five albums.

I just don't like Green. I was an REM fan and I liked "Orange Crush" then the whole album came out and it didn't really do anything for me. Really, the only thing by them I've liked from that point on is "Nightswimming".

First 5 Pennywise albums! Fuck I had forgotten how much I loved them, thanks YouTube!!! And put the Bouncing Souls in that category too. True Believers may be my favorite song ever.

I'm not a Bouncing Souls fan. I grew up listening to the first two albums and then fell off and thought they were really friggin' dumb. But then I heard THE GOLD RECORD well after the fact and that album is so insanely great. It's a total hidden gem. The Souls get lumped into Warped Tour-type bands that are dismissed critically. It's a shame because if some random band no one ever heard of dropped The Gold Record, people would have bugged the hell out for it. It's super.

Your Bouncing Souls experience is like mine, except I've never revisited them. Guess I'll check that album out.

Let's all take a moment to mourn the loss of Live365, which was killed five days ago after 17 years when the old CRB agreement expired and the new agreement eliminated the "small and hobby" broadcaster royalty rate. This effectively means that without startup money in the tens of hundreds of thousands, there is no legal mechanism for a small, hobby broadcaster to stream music online.

I started listening to Live365 back in 1999 when RadioSpy (remember that!) died.  It was an amazing wide open space of people broadcasting the most obscure and bizarre and ancient stuff.  Yes, a lot of people just played classic rock and top 40.  But there were so many people playing things like old lost grindhouse soundtracks, trucker songs, 1960s Italian pop, Vietnamese folk music, weird wiccan spoken word jams, episodes of Jack Benny of Johnny Dollar, yodeling, atonal chamber music, just about anything you can imagine in the history of sound.  It was one of the last vestiges of the early 2000s internet radio free-for-all (remember Spinner!  Remember when we all used Winamp to watch episodes of Daria and random screenshots of dudes listening to techno while coding?)

The new policy likely signals the end for obscure things like that, at least easily available in a nice searchable app, as no centralized platform to support them will be able to survive and the giant ones just don't do that stuff. (note SOMA FM is desperately trying to raise money right now to stay afloat under the new system, so pay them a visit while there is still time)

RIP LIVE365

RIP CELESTIAL JUKEBOX DREAM

Maurice White, the founder and leader of Earth, Wind and Fire has died at 74.

I heard about that this morning along with Dave Mirra committing suicide and Axl Rotten passing away.  It is 2015 all over again.

Wait, what?  Didn't know about Mirra and Axl, holy shit.

Can't say I was a big fan, but man their music was just fun as hell to listen to.  Him along with the rest of them seemed like the coolest guys around.  RIP, Maurice.

Crap. I might have to go with REM. Trying to think of the order.

I think Automatic for the People is probably my favorite album of there's. But they don't really have anything too great after that, aside for a few great songs. And directly in front chronologically is  Out Of Time, which I really don't like (aside from "Me In Honey.")

So I think I'd have to go Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green.

I think that's an awesome five albums.

I just don't like Green. I was an REM fan and I liked "Orange Crush" then the whole album came out and it didn't really do anything for me. Really, the only thing by them I've liked from that point on is "Nightswimming".

First 5 Pennywise albums! Fuck I had forgotten how much I loved them, thanks YouTube!!! And put the Bouncing Souls in that category too. True Believers may be my favorite song ever.

I'm not a Bouncing Souls fan. I grew up listening to the first two albums and then fell off and thought they were really friggin' dumb. But then I heard THE GOLD RECORD well after the fact and that album is so insanely great. It's a total hidden gem. The Souls get lumped into Warped Tour-type bands that are dismissed critically. It's a shame because if some random band no one ever heard of dropped The Gold Record, people would have bugged the hell out for it. It's super.

Your Bouncing Souls experience is like mine, except I've never revisited them. Guess I'll check that album out.

The Souls seemingly just listened to a whole bunch of Kinks songs and just decided to make an album in that vein. (And actually covered "Better Days.") Can't really go wrong with that. My favorite Green Day album is "Warning" so take my opinions on cheesebag punk bands doing Kinks tributes for what it's worth.

This is one of my favorite songs on the album. The video is sorta insufferable but the song is about pizza.

For anyone who has a Roku and wants to take a break from David Carradine KILLING PEOPLE WITH A ROBOTIC ARM!!!

You should be made aware that the "Pluto TV" channel (which I guess you don't need a Roku for and can watch as a regular app or on your computer) now has an opera channel.

A MOTHERFUCKING OPERA CHANNEL!!

The Roku channel is glorious High Def and right now is showing Peter Sellars' recent alternately innovative and infuriating production of Henry Purcell's "The Indian Queen".

there are commercials that pop up rather jarringly.  But finding opera anywhere, especially new productions is hard without shelling out for DVD's or if you don't have a theater that shows MET broadcasts nearby or are willing to pay the MET's exorbitant streaming service fee.

FIND THIS AN ENJOY IT, DIVAS!!!!

Seriously, this is amazing.

Kanye setting an album release date for yesterday, changing the album title a million times, selling out MSG to premiere it on the release date and then....... not releasing it.  Ok, solid heel stalling.

Following that up today he ranted a bit about Taylor Swift before adding a bunch of songs to the track list and promising that the album would be released by the end of the day.  It's not out yet.  This has pretty much been a master class in heel work and building anticipation.  The man is a genius.

I hope this album is great, or the backlash is going to be insane.  Kanye gets to act like Kanye, because the work has been so consistently great.  People hate him now, let this album be some trash, those Cam haters are going to feel like church ladies. 

It's probably going to be great.  It also might never be released!  Damn you, Kanye!

These last few days have been peak Twitter, though.  His little mini-rants during studio breaks, the release of those text messages about inviting awesome wrestlers, etc etc.  My favorite bit was the rule list that his models had to follow for the MSG show.

It's probably going to be great.  It also might never be released!  Damn you, Kanye!

These last few days have been peak Twitter, though.  His little mini-rants during studio breaks, the release of those text messages about inviting awesome wrestlers, etc etc.  My favorite bit was the rule list that his models had to follow for the MSG show.

He's the perfect rock star for our time.  He's insane, but there is enough truth, entertainment, and flat out brilliance that he's not a joke.  For instance, I 100% believe that he called Taylor Swift about that line in his song.  Taylor's people didn't like it after the fact and they put a statement out about it.  You want to know why I believe Kanye, because there is no reason to say that he did if he didn't.  It's kind of like why I like people who like to fight.  People who like to fight rarely lie, because they don't really give a fuck if you're mad.  What are you going to do, fight them?  They like fighting, that shit would probably make their day.  Kanye does not give a fuck what Taylor Smith's fans think, he called her to see if she cared, but I don't even think he cared that much about that.  Kanye has enough fans that Taylor Swift's fanbase is either a part of his fanbase or someone who would never be a part of his fanbase.  Why would he give a damn about what any of them thought?  He's not going to change any of their minds.

Finally putting on the new Dream Theater. Musically it's par for the course and excellent, but so far the lyrics play like a bad parody of a rock opera. I mean, track 2 is actually titled "Dystopian Overture."

I listened to this and the new Megadeth album today.

Double bad rock opera lyrics!

When Jay-Z grew up he became the head of a multi-million dollar business empire that will secure his kin for generations.

Kanye became a douchebag 13 year old on twitter jealous of Taylor Swift's record sales.

While Kanye is certainly a douchebag, I seriously doubt he's jealous of anyone's sales and his family is going to be taken care of for a very, very long time.

He's taken a lot of losses trying to make fashion work. Not quite the same thing as Hammer buying gold toilets.

I'll always appreciate people who at least try to be ambitious. I don't think Taylor Swift is bad at music but I also don't think she's pushed anything forward. And Jay could have - the talent was there - but decided to play it safe and make more money instead. They're not really comparable.

• Like 1

Did I dream I'd grow up to be Vanity one day?  Yep.  She and Apollonia dated Prince and I thought that was the greatest thing ever at the time.

RIP, Ms. Matthews.

When my mom got her masters someone in her graduating class was named Apollonia Vanity whatever her last name was.  My biggest Vanity memories are from The Last Dragon, which I watched hundreds of time as a kid.