DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Damnit, Gregg!  I just started my journey back through Teenage Fanclub albums and now I need to find my copy of Judgement Night too.

Totally on the Teenage Fanclub tip, it is amusing now that Bandwagonesque has gone from being considered overrated (Spin's album of the year in 1991) to now criminally underrated.  It's a legit pop masterpiece that I think only Gregg and I love now.

I love Bandwagonesque (and It's a Shame about Ray, I used to be able to sing the whole thing cover to cover from memory).

Judgment Night is something that for years I would remember as this awesome thing and wish that I hadn't sold my copy. Then a few months back I got on Spotify to show my girlfriend how amazing it was and...it hasn't aged well for me, at all. Only truly listenable tracks for me now are TFC/De la, Dinosaur Jr/Del, and Mudhoney/Mix-a-Lot

• Like 1

Anyone else remember the Judgment Night soundtrack? What a weird thing. This was the soundtrack to a really bad movie that paired up the biggest alternative rock acts with some of the bigger hip hop artists of the day in a pretty interesting collaboration. House of Pain and Helmet? Sure! Why not? Pearl Jam and Cypress Hill? Go for it! Faith No More and B.O.O. Ya Tribe? Done deal.

It's a really weird album and I have never, ever been able to figure out if I like it or not. This was the first "rap rock" thing and it's infinitely better than the neckbeard roofie garbage from Woodstock '99.

There is one song on this album that is undeniably a great song. That is "Fallin'" by De La Soul and Teenage Fanclub. One of my favorite songs and a constant on mix-tapes I made throughout my sweet romantic teenage nights.

These two tracks are tied for the best on the soundtrack, IMO.

The Mix-a-lot / Mudhoney track is criminally underloved and I also like the De-La-Soul / Teenage Fanclub collab.

The Onyx / Biohazard title track is not better than the worst song on Backdafucup.  It did not make me forget Throw Ya Gunz.

Rock / Rap is not dead.  The Black Keys have a collab album with a few hip hop artists but they call themselves Blakroc when they take the Hip Rock route.

For the 5 Albums gimmick, I'll go with Queen:

Queen II

Sheer Heart Attack

A Night at the Opera

A Day at the Races

Jazz

or maybe Bowie.

Hunky Dory

Ziggy Stardust

Aladdin Sane

Pin Ups 

Diamond Dogs

• Like 2

I don't have that soundtrack but I'll forever love that three-song Exploited medley that Slayer put together with Ice-T that builds and builds and builds until it just explodes into "Disorder". (other two are "War" and "UK '82" for those wondering, all of of Troops of Tomorrow)

This will make you drive really really fast. 

Oh and Biohazard/Onyx is too damn catchy. I really should just download the whole thing someday, even though I'll probably hate most of it. 

Also, I thought Judgment Night was pretty good, at least towards the end (especially the climax). Denis Leary's best role outside of Rescue Me for sure. 

• Like 1

Everyone is talking about the JN soundtrack and It's a Shame About Ray and all of a sudden I'm 14 again! Still remember buying them from Strawberries.

As for 5 albums I'd have to go with the Toasters:

Skaboom

Thrill Me Up

Dub 56

Hard Band For Dead

Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down.

or the Dead Kennedys

Fresh Fruit

In God we Trust inc.

Plastic Surgery Disasters

Frankenchrist

Bedtime for Democracy

Ooooooo, DKs is a good pick. But I'm going with BOC:

Blue Oyster Cult

Tyranny and Mutation

Secret Treaties

Agents of Fortune

Spectres

(actually On Your Feet Or On Your Knees, which is live, is stuck in the middle. If you want that to count and cut Spectres I'm on board as well

• Like 1

My music library doesn't lend itself to a lot of artists with large catalogs. I dont know for sure how that happened. Anyways here's some I was able to come up with

--Daniel Lopatin (Oneohtrix Point Never/Chuck Person)

Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol. 1

Returnal

Replica

R Plus 7

Garden of Delete

--Steven Ellison (Flying Lotus/Captain Murphy)

Los Angeles

Cosmogramma

Until The Quiet Comes

Duality

also I tried Liars but the problem with Liars is that my favorite Liars records at this point are They Were Wrong So We Drowned and Mess, and there's four records between those two.

Blue Oyster Cult

Tyranny and Mutation

Secret Treaties

Agents of Fortune

Spectres

(actually On Your Feet Or On Your Knees, which is live, is stuck in the middle. If you want that to count and cut Spectres I'm on board as well

BOC is an excellent choice.  I'd probably go with Oingo Boingo, which raises the question of whether "Boingo Alive" counts or not (it's "live in studio", basically, a new-recordings-of-greatest-hits thing before that was a thing, using the concert arrangements of songs)  Without Alive it looks like this:

Good For Your Soul

Dead Man's Party

Boi-Ngo

Dark at the End of the Tunnel

Boingo

With Alive you start with DMP instead, but get some of the better songs off GFYS.

Nine Inch Nails:

The Downward Spiral

The Fragile

Year Zero

The Slip

Hesitation Marks

If a double album counts as two albums for this fantasy scenario, just take off Hesitation Marks. I would smuggle Still in my underwear or something, too.

Blue Oyster Cult

Tyranny and Mutation

Secret Treaties

Agents of Fortune

Spectres

BOC is an excellent choice.  I'd probably go with Oingo Boingo, which raises the question of whether "Boingo Alive" counts or not (it's "live in studio", basically, a new-recordings-of-greatest-hits thing before that was a thing, using the concert arrangements of songs)  Without Alive it looks like this:

Good For Your Soul

Dead Man's Party

Boi-Ngo

Dark at the End of the Tunnel

Boingo

With Alive you start with DMP instead, but get some of the better songs off GFYS.

See, I'd go earlier.

Only a Lad

Nothing to Fear

Good For Your Soul

Dead Man's Party

Boi-ngo

First 5 Pennywise albums! Fuck I had forgotten how much I loved them, thanks YouTube!!! And put the Bouncing Souls in that category too. True Believers may be my favorite song ever.

I was gonna go with Sabbath but the Cult has my soul. The only other option aside from Sabbath I can think of would be Priest.

Rocka Rolla

Sad Wings of Destiny

Sin After Sin

Stained Class

Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine

Honestly, I don't know if the BOC five album spread can even touch that. Sad Wings of Destiny is still my favorite album of all time. 

Crap. I might have to go with REM. Trying to think of the order.

I think Automatic for the People is probably my favorite album of there's. But they don't really have anything too great after that, aside for a few great songs. And directly in front chronologically is  Out Of Time, which I really don't like (aside from "Me In Honey.")

So I think I'd have to go Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document and Green.

I think that's an awesome five albums.

• Like 1

First 5 Pennywise albums! Fuck I had forgotten how much I loved them, thanks YouTube!!! And put the Bouncing Souls in that category too. True Believers may be my favorite song ever.

I'm not a Bouncing Souls fan. I grew up listening to the first two albums and then fell off and thought they were really friggin' dumb. But then I heard THE GOLD RECORD well after the fact and that album is so insanely great. It's a total hidden gem. The Souls get lumped into Warped Tour-type bands that are dismissed critically. It's a shame because if some random band no one ever heard of dropped The Gold Record, people would have bugged the hell out for it. It's super.

No love for New Adventures In Hi Fi? I maintain that is a criminally underrated record.

I like New Adventures a lot. But it's "a band's best five albums in a row" and trying to put that album to include New Adventures means I'd have to start at Life's Rich Pageant AND include Out Of Time.

I'm not a Bouncing Souls fan. I grew up listening to the first two albums and then fell off and thought they were really friggin' dumb. But then I heard THE GOLD RECORD well after the fact and that album is so insanely great. It's a total hidden gem. The Souls get lumped into Warped Tour-type bands that are dismissed critically. It's a shame because if some random band no one ever heard of dropped The Gold Record, people would have bugged the hell out for it. It's super.

The critics called Pinkerton the worst album ever. Point being the critics are morons and nobody should take any of them seriously.