DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

GNR doing two shows in Vegas before Coachella. I would love to drive out to Vegas, but I'm sure the prices for even terrible seats will be astronomical. I saw GNR in 2011 in Indy and the prices for that version were like...$100 for floor GA. First reunion show and in Vegas? I'm betting $100 will be the cheapest. Obstructed view.

At the Drive-In are back with a pretty big tour, and new music coming sometime this spring/summer. There's a tour date in Nashville, and you can bet your ass I'm going. I've been dying to see them live since I discovered them when I was 13, but they had been broken up for about a year by that point in time. A few years later, when I was about to go into high school as a freshman, I stumbled upon this EP on the internet called "Tremulant" by a new(ish) band, The Mars Volta, and my taste in music was never the same after that. I'm so, so, so excited for this. Even if the show is a stinker like the Mars Volta one in 2009 that I saw, it won't matter - this is quite literally a childhood dream.

For my money, one of the best album openers, ever:

Fuck it, just go listen to Relationship of Command. It might be more slick than their two other albums and EPs, but I'll be damned if it isn't near perfect.

I've had My Name Is Jonas stuck in my head ever since the news started reporting on the storm of doom headed my way in a few hours. Weezer's Blue Album is still number one and the best. Everything -- chord progressions, melodies, harmones, etc. -- is pretty much perfect.

• Like 1

I still think the green album is one of the most underrated albums ever. The first 3 Weezer albums are among the best first 3 albums by any band ever. Too bad it's pretty much downhill from there.

• Like 1

I still think the green album is one of the most underrated albums ever. The first 3 Weezer albums are among the best first 3 albums by any band ever. Too bad it's pretty much downhill from there.

One of my friends asked this question on Twitter:

If you could only listen to 5 albums for the rest of your life, and they had to be by the same artist AND consecutive releases, who/what would it be?

Beatles. Picking which set of five straight is a motherfucker though.

For Sale/Help!/Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper? Then I never hear Abbey Road, a legit top ten all time album for me. But to include it I get Let It Be and Yellow Submarine, which isn't optimal.

Plus leaving out those first albums loses a shit ton of classics.

Alternate answer Black Sabbath. Then, although there are a lot of other albums I love being left out, Self-Titled/Paranoid/Masters Of Reality/Vol. 4/Sabbath Bloody Sabbath becomes a pretty easy answer.

Beatles. Picking which set of five straight is a motherfucker though.

For Sale/Help!/Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Pepper? Then I never hear Abbey Road, a legit top ten all time album for me. But to include it I get Let It Be and Yellow Submarine, which isn't optimal.

Plus leaving out those first albums loses a shit ton of classics.

Alternate answer Black Sabbath. Then, although there are a lot of other albums I love being left out, Self-Titled/Paranoid/Masters Of Reality/Vol. 4/Sabbath Bloody Sabbath becomes a pretty easy answer.

Not much of a Beatles fan, and mainly early stuff, so I would stop after Revolver regardless.

My initial thoughts were The Cure, but I can't find anything better than Head on the Door through Wish. Likewise, New Order has their first four albums but I just can't hang with Technique. I mean, I could probably compromise in order to have my four faves from each, but that's not the point of the discussion :)

Thinking more, of course there's The Ramones, up through End of the Century. Zeppelin's first 5 albums. Maybe the Pogues, depending on your feelings about Hells Ditch.

My friend used Springsteen, who could legitimately be stretched IMO to 7 albums, through Born in the USA.

Honestly, while I really like Fugazi a lot I've never truly gotten into anything after In on the Kill Taker.

The Prince mention caused me to feel dumb for overlooking my all-time favorite artist, Stevie Wonder, and his run of Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingess' First Finale, and Songs in the Key of Life. I would even stretch that back to include Where I'm Coming From and Signed, Sealed, Delivered.

Anyone else remember the Judgment Night soundtrack? What a weird thing. This was the soundtrack to a really bad movie that paired up the biggest alternative rock acts with some of the bigger hip hop artists of the day in a pretty interesting collaboration. House of Pain and Helmet? Sure! Why not? Pearl Jam and Cypress Hill? Go for it! Faith No More and B.O.O. Ya Tribe? Done deal.

It's a really weird album and I have never, ever been able to figure out if I like it or not. This was the first "rap rock" thing and it's infinitely better than the neckbeard roofie garbage from Woodstock '99.

There is one song on this album that is undeniably a great song. That is "Fallin'" by De La Soul and Teenage Fanclub. One of my favorite songs and a constant on mix-tapes I made throughout my sweet romantic teenage nights.

• Like 1

Damnit, Gregg!  I just started my journey back through Teenage Fanclub albums and now I need to find my copy of Judgement Night too.

Totally on the Teenage Fanclub tip, it is amusing now that Bandwagonesque has gone from being considered overrated (Spin's album of the year in 1991) to now criminally underrated.  It's a legit pop masterpiece that I think only Gregg and I love now.

• Like 1

Damnit, Gregg! I just started my journey back through Teenage Fanclub albums and now I need to find my copy of Judgement Night too.

Totally on the Teenage Fanclub tip, it is amusing now that Bandwagonesque has gone from being considered overrated (Spin's album of the year in 1991) to now criminally underrated. It's a legit pop masterpiece that I think only Gregg and I love now.

That album is so great. I got it as one of the gimmes in the Columbia House scam. Another album I received was It's A Shame About Ray. Everything else was grunge stuff I quickly tossed.

Teenage Fanclub fact: They are the musical guest on the SNL episode hosted by Jason Priestly, which is the best SNL episode.

• Like 1

Damnit, Gregg! I just started my journey back through Teenage Fanclub albums and now I need to find my copy of Judgement Night too.

Totally on the Teenage Fanclub tip, it is amusing now that Bandwagonesque has gone from being considered overrated (Spin's album of the year in 1991) to now criminally underrated. It's a legit pop masterpiece that I think only Gregg and I love now.

That album is so great. I got it as one of the gimmes in the Columbia House scam. Another album I received was It's A Shame About Ray. Everything else was grunge stuff I quickly tossed.

Teenage Fanclub fact: They are the musical guest on the SNL episode hosted by Jason Priestly, which is the best SNL episode.

Boy, in the Evan Dando backlash that occurred in the 90's, the fact that everyone has forgotten what a great power pop album It's A Shame About Ray is...well...a shame.

I am trying to decide what would give you the greatest sugar high of those big power pop albums released around the same time - Bandwagonesque, Shame or Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend.

Boy, in the Evan Dando backlash that occurred in the 90's, the fact that everyone has forgotten what a great power pop album It's A Shame About Ray is...well...a shame.

I am trying to decide what would give you the greatest sugar high of those big power pop albums released around the same time - Bandwagonesque, Shame or Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend.

I went on a 120 Minutes tear the other day. I love all three albums. But I go with Shame first because that was the first album I ever fell in love with. There were bands I liked by the time I got that album -- REM and The Ramones and The Clash -- but I only had Best of albums and Out of Time and Eponymous.

I still remember hearing Shame for the first time. I have no idea why I picked Shame on my Columbia House list. It really brought me to a new world. I had no idea music like that existed. They were short and sweet guitar-driven pop songs. There wasn't anything loud or sounded like bad classic rock. It makes sense in retrospect that I loved that album so much since REM and The Ramones came chronologically first. They're essentially jangle pop at punk length.

I liked both TFC and Matthew Sweet a lot. But I sorta put those albums aside for a few years and then remembered how great they were once my tastes matured and I got Big Starred.

I got into punk a little after I got Shame. Mostly Lookout-style stuff (The Queers) and stuff like Minor Threat and The Descendants. But I also always never really identified too much with all that and sided with Weezer and Cub and That Dog and the like. I can totally trace all that back to loving The Lemonheads first.

• Like 1

One of my friends asked this question on Twitter:

If you could only listen to 5 albums for the rest of your life, and they had to be by the same artist AND consecutive releases, who/what would it be?

My choice would be Alice in Chains.

Facelift

Sap

Dirt

Jar of Flies

self-titled album

• Like 1