DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

My only other criticism is that Dre tampered with his flow too much.  Maybe it was the writers but he signs off on the lyrics so I have to fault him.  He doesn't sound good trying to rap like Kendrick.  We need that old school cali laid back shit.

But these are minor gripes. It's still very good.

I've gotten way too into synthwave in the past couple months. It's new shit that feels like comfortable nostalgia, and that's simultaneously exactly what I want (in that it's "new shit that feels like comfortable nostalgia") and exactly what I don't want for the same reasons, because it means that I'm not seeking out things that don't make me feel like I'm 10.  Still, the Timecop1983 album from June or July is pretty masterful stuff if that's what you're looking for.

• Like 1

so i just counted up my collection. i own 331 vinyl records, not including duplicates or christmas albums. the vast majority are 70s/80s rock, which is awesome.

i just built a shelf to hold them all and now have them in one place for the first time (hence the counting). i'm pretty pumped about it.

spinning some Jimi Hendrix records to celebrate.

• Like 1

I have given up on ever figuring out how to post youtube videos here, but still, wanted to share this. I've been a giant fan of the Aaron Okeefe students in Ohio who have put up some outstanding covers, and I wanted to give some love to one of my favorites they've done.

EDIT: For fucks sake I just have to copy and paste the link? God dammit all.

Ever been haunted by a song that you keep hearing on the radio/PA at the store or gym/whatever else, and for whatever reason you can't find out what it is?  That had been happening to me for months, as there was something that popped up about every three weeks at my gym. The PA wasn't loud enough to work with Soundhound or for me to learn enough lyrics to Google it, but I knew it was either 80s or faux-80s, it was super catchy but not necessarily "good" and it was driving me nuts.

It turned up in my weekly Spotify "discover" playlist today without my realizing it at first.  "Beat's So Lonely" by Charlie Sexton.  Now that I've heard it without clanging weights and ambient noise, I don't have to hear it again. It's hooky as hell, but it's not actually *good*; the best description I can give is "someone who wants badly to be 1985 Eddie Money but just can't get there." But at least I can put it to bed.

Ever been haunted by a song that you keep hearing on the radio/PA at the store or gym/whatever else, and for whatever reason you can't find out what it is?  That had been happening to me for months, as there was something that popped up about every three weeks at my gym. The PA wasn't loud enough to work with Soundhound or for me to learn enough lyrics to Google it, but I knew it was either 80s or faux-80s, it was super catchy but not necessarily "good" and it was driving me nuts.

It turned up in my weekly Spotify "discover" playlist today without my realizing it at first.  "Beat's So Lonely" by Charlie Sexton.  Now that I've heard it without clanging weights and ambient noise, I don't have to hear it again. It's hooky as hell, but it's not actually *good*; the best description I can give is "someone who wants badly to be 1985 Eddie Money but just can't get there." But at least I can put it to bed.

Ironically, you can probably go out to Saxon Pub or a similar place in Austin any given week and hear him do it live.

Wrll, now I feel like an ass for ragging on a local. ETA: Not directed at you, more just feel like an ass for trashing the song when I heard it in total.

No worries, I trash locals all the time! The cream rarely rises to the top in Austin, and that song is pretty bland generic pop. Now he does more bland, generic Americana singer-songwriter stuff.