DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

The only thing I gave a crap about was ELO.   I wouldn't say Eminem is irrelevant (MMLP2 sold more than any hip-hop album really over that span) but it was not a great album and the rest of the nominees were not good either.  As said, the Grammys have no idea what's going on out there in the present day. They've always been ten years behind. They are like Vince McMahon of award shows.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

You have to be a special kind of dumb to do what that Nuclear Hellfrost singer did. 

Ft. Wayners gonna Ft. Wayne.

Odds are you've seen me blabber about Jenny Hval at some point on here. Well she has a new album she is calling "Apocalypse, girl" and here's my new blabber: I am so scared of what this record has in store if this is what she's leading off with.

I highly recommend her prior stuff, Viscera (a Body Horror Folk record), Innocence Is Kinky (DIY Male Gaze Kit) and Meshes of Voice (somehow a live record).

• Like 1

Odds are you've seen me blabber about Jenny Hval at some point on here. Well she has a new album she is calling "Apocalypse, girl" and here's my new blabber: I am so scared of what this record has in store if this is what she's leading off with.

I highly recommend her prior stuff, Viscera (a Body Horror Folk record), Innocence Is Kinky (DIY Male Gaze Kit) and Meshes of Voice (somehow a live record).

So wait ... you don't like this one?

Love Meshes of Voices. should really give Viscera another listen.

I meant to post this yesterday. Ash is my favorite band from Ireland. I know it's not "Irish" music like The Pogues (who I love) but teenagers-in-love doing three-chord pop-punk is sorta my thing.

It's still a running joke amongst a few people I know that Folk Song is the worst song ever written, Nu-Clear Sounds was such a let down it was unreal. They were dead to us after that album.

Remember the good times.

Has anyone checked out To Pimp A Butterfly?  I love it. "Wesley's Theory" is awesome. Sounds like some early 90s g-funk. I really like "Complexion" with Rapsody coming through.  "Mortal Man" is great.. the interview is something.. 

Other standout tracks - "How Much a Dollar Cost" ,  "King Kunta" ,  "These Walls" ...

It's pretty fucking impressive.

I mean Kendrick made an album that's going to be like equivalently digestible by both goobers who listen to music for entertainment and goobers who listen to music for the art, and they will both receive equal and full nourishment. Something like a modern Dark Side Of The Moon. It's just so fucking dense and ambitious. I've been listening to it a lot and I enjoy it differently every time I listen to it.

special shout out to "u" and the record version of "i" which are probably the most brilliant things Kendrick has done, although I feel like explaining why I feel that way about "i" would spoil it.

It's funny, I somehow missed all the hype for his last record when it came out, but I backtracked to it in the hype for Butterfly and holy fuck you guys, how the fuck did I miss out on this?