DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I think Jawbreaker might be the best band of the 90s. I liked them a lot when I was of the age but it didn't hit me until I was an adult just how amazing a band they are. They're super tight and Blake's one of the best, most talented lyricists and vocalists who has ever lived. I just got into vinyl again and picked this up -- it's such a great vinyl album. It's so intimate and the record scratch and personal investment it takes to put on a record and actually have to flip it clicks a lot. I love this so much.

The one current band that stands out like this are The Menzingers. Those guys are cut of the same cloth.

I'm listening to "Bivouac" right now on Spotify (I know, I know) on your recommendation, and it's pretty decent - something about the vocals and the delivery reminds me of a punked-up Replacements (laughed when I read a music writer made the same comparison in the band's Wikipedia page). The drummer is really good. Dunno that I'd call them the best band of the 90s, but they're definitely a pleasant discovery.

There's definitely a huge Replacements influence on Jawbreaker. The Replacements set the template for punk bands who want to go more personal in their songwriting.I think the appreciation of Jawbreaker comes from what you were into when they were around. I got into all sorts of pop-punk like The Queers and alternative/indie stuff like The Lemonheads. A lot of my playlist was filled with really goofy songs about girls or stuff that was pretty sad about lost love. But the emotion I had about girls and love in the 90s was more angry than sad and wondering about what it all meant. Jawbreaker wasn't the only angry band but they were the only angry band that also put that emotion into stories of personal failures and the rare triumphs . They were the first band in the punk scene I heard that really had depth and resonance in their songwriting.A good comparison for Jawbreaker is Weezer's Pinkerton. It's the same sort of album but more accessible since Weezer is a lot more famous.

Here's your next "Amazing Album Streaming For Free (I Cannot Believe This Wonderous Future)": San Fermin. Bonafide epic pop composition.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/08/219367757/first-listen-san-fermin-san-fermin

1 Renaissance!

2 Crueler Kind

3 Lament for V.G.

4 Casanova

5 Sonsick

6 Methuselah

7 At Sea

8 Torero

9 At Night, True Love

10 The Count

11 Bar

12 In Waiting

13 True Love, Asleep

14 Oh, Darling

15 In The Morning

16 Daedalus (What We Have)

17 Altogether Changed

THIS WEEK for NPR's First Listen, the main album they're showcasing is one of the best albums I've heard this year, but also probably the single least approachable. It's not noise or anything, it's just... on its own trip.

Posted Image

"R Plus Seven" by Oneohtrix Point Never

1 Boring Angel

2 Americans

3 He She

4 Inside World

5 Zebra

6 Along

7 Problem Areas

8 Cryo

9 Still Life

10 Chrome Country

Oh my gosh, THREE albums worth streaming this monday. One rock, one electronic, and one rap.

Posted Image

"Carey's Cold Spring" by Frog Eyes

1. The Road is Long

2. The Country Child

3. Your Holiday Treat

4. Don't Give Up Your Dreams

5. Needle in the Sun

6. Noni's Got a Taste For the Bright Red Air Jordans

7. A Duration of Starts and Lines That Form Code

8. Seven Daughters

9. Claxxon's Lament

Posted Image

"Psychic" by Darkside

1. Golden Arrow

2. Sitra

3. Heart

4. Paper Trails

5. The Only Shrine I've Seen

6. Freak, Go Home

7. Greek Light

8. Metatron

THIS ONE REQUIRES A SPOTIFY ACCOUNT

Posted Image

"Old" by Danny Brown

1. Side A (Old)

2. The Return [ft. Freddie Gibbs]

3. 25 Bucks [ft. Purity Ring]

4. Wonderbread

5. Gremlins

6. Dope Fiend Rental [ft. Schoolboy Q]

7. Torture

8. Lonely

9. Clean Up

10. Red 2 Go

11. Side B (Dope Song)

12. Dubstep [ft. Scrufizzer]

13. Dip

14. Smokin & Drinkin

15. Break It (Go)

16. Handstand

17. Way Up Here [ft. Ab-Soul]

18. Kush Coma [ft. A$AP Rocky and Zelooperz] 

19. Float On [ft. Charli XCX]

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I started a podcast project titled "Homemade Noise" that features unsigned, aspiring, amateur, hobbyist musicians & songwriters who record their music from home. The blob address is: http://homemadenoise.wordpress.com/   And it's also on Youtube at:

Thanks for any views and/or listens! It is appreciated!

So it finally dawned on me all these years later that I have access to the internet and I should just look up what that weird shit was on K-Jah back in the Grand Theft Auto III days.

Album title was better than I could have ever hoped: Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires

This is one strange ass record. But it rules.

• Like 1

I saw THE OBLIVIANS last night. So friggin' awesome. For the unintroduced, the Oblivians are from Memphis. They take all of those Memphis influences (blues, Stax, Big Star, etc.) and blend them through a low-fi, punk filter (definitely a lot of Ramones and Iggy). I sort of would say they're a mix between Husker Du and The White Stripes. Their front-man Greg Cartwright also leads the amazing and awesome Reigning Sound. He should 100% be in the Rock'n'Roll Hall-of-Fame.

So it finally dawned on me all these years later that I have access to the internet and I should just look up what that weird shit was on K-Jah back in the Grand Theft Auto III days.

Album title was better than I could have ever hoped: Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires

This is one strange ass record. But it rules.

Dear Lord, if you loved K-Jah, then the Blue Ark radio station on GTA5 will blow your mind.

I AM LATE WITH THE MONDAY STREAMS FOR A GOOD REASON. This was going to be a one album week, then suddenly one of my favorite musicians up and released his new record. Be enthralled!

Posted Image

"Future Proof" by Mesita

1. No Future 

2. Firesign

3. Forward

4. XYXY

5. Hostages

6. Damage

7. Creature

8. Vigilant

9. Distance

10. Nothing

Elsewhere, there is more manic ambient brilliance.

Posted Image

"Virgins" by Tim Hecker

1. Prism

2. Virginal I

3. Radiance

4. Live Room

5. Live Room Out

6. Virginal II

7. Black Refraction

8. Incense at Abu Ghraib

9. Amps, Drugs, Harmonium

10. Stigmata I 

11. Stigmata II

12. Stab Variation

EDIT: By the way, in case you missed your chance to listen to "Carey's Cold Spring" by Frog Eyes, you can hear it in full and buy it here.

EDIT THE 2ND: OH HOLY SHIT, I had no idea a Bandcamp for this even existed. Chinese Fugazi Worship GO GO GO

Posted Image

"1984" by PK14

1. You and Me

2. Ice Age

3. May

4. Flowers In Hand, A Crazed Woman

5. Egyptian Rain

6. Song About Forgetting

7. One-Man-War

8. Future Mystery

9. Voyagers

10. 1984 part Ⅰ

11. 1984 part Ⅱ

• Like 1

Elsewhere, there is more manic ambient brilliance.

Posted Image

"Virgins" by Tim Hecker

1. Prism

2. Virginal I

3. Radiance

4. Live Room

5. Live Room Out

6. Virginal II

7. Black Refraction

8. Incense at Abu Ghraib

9. Amps, Drugs, Harmonium

10. Stigmata I 

11. Stigmata II

12. Stab Variation

That Tim Hecker sounds something like a giant glacier slowly but steadily carving a path of destruction through your city.  Immense.  I've got to give it another go.

I could not shake the feeling listening to Kanye West - Yeezus that it is the album OG Loc would have done in 2013 if he was real.

I'm pretty sure 'Yeezus' is my album of the year.

I'm pretty sure 'Yeezus' is my album of the year.

You must enjoy comically bad lyrics and Kanye just outright abandoning the one thing he was actually good at, production.

I mean, I can see the album having value if you approach it as a film like The Room: a drama so ridiculously bad that it actually becomes an outstanding comedy. But as a straight ahead project, it's mind-blowingly terrible.

Keep in mind I actually loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and think it belongs on a shortlist of best albums of this decade so far.

I think so far my album of the year is The Flaming Lips - The Terror, but I still have a long way to go. So far 2012 is kicking 2013's ass so badly that it isn't even funny though. The divide between the quality of those two years seems awfully wide about 20 albums or so into my 2013 listening, but part of that is because I opened with a lot of the more obvious mainstream stuff that was always more likely to be full of letdowns than the hidden gem stuff you pack in later.