DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Haven't listened to it, but I'm assuming this is them conceding that the album sucks, and now rather than suffering the embarrassment of it tanking conventionally, they can just say, "Hey, it was a gift!". It just reeks of them having spent millions on producing a shit album, realizing it, and finding a corporate partner they could dump it on to recoup costs.

• Like 1

Haven't listened to it, but I'm assuming this is them conceding that the album sucks, and now rather than suffering the embarrassment of it tanking conventionally, they can just say, "Hey, it was a gift!". It just reeks of them having spent millions on producing a shit album, realizing it, and finding a corporate partner they could dump it on to recoup costs.

It's about as hit and miss as their last couple of albums.

And now you have reminded me that that was the album they were promoting when they did the iPod ad 10 years ago. Damn, my ass is old.

For me 27, in the Wiregrass area feels too old and too young. I'm too old for what constitutes as fun in Dothan, and I'm too young for retirement haha.

JD & The Straight Shot have gone POLITICAL!

For the unaware, JD is James Dolan, the president/CEO of Cablevision and owner of Madison Square Garden and the New York Knicks. He, naturally, inherited these roles and his wealth.

He fancies himself a musician. The early JD & The Straight Shot material is god awful "blues" music. He got together a bunch of studio musicians who obviously were in on a long con to get money from him. I think his kid plays guitar at some point, too. He makes these awesome facial expressions and sways during their live shows. There's a lot of side musicians looking at him with a smile on their face to further egg him on/inflate his ego/grab his wallet.

But he's made a new turn with his latest songs, as he's now a political folk/country type. He's described in this article as a "Bruce Springsteen for the 1%," which is an absolutely amazing comedy idea but horrifyingly real. He sings (I use that loosely) lyrics about New York City Mayor Bill DiBlasio's unfair tax policies towards the wealthy classes.

This is one of the best things I've heard in ages.

These were also produced by JOE WALSH of The Eagles. JD & The Straight Shot are opening for them on select tour dates.

JD & The Straight Shot have gone POLITICAL!

For the unaware, JD is James Dolan, the president/CEO of Cablevision and owner of Madison Square Garden and the New York Knicks. He, naturally, inherited these roles and his wealth.

He fancies himself a musician. The early JD & The Straight Shot material is god awful "blues" music. He got together a bunch of studio musicians who obviously were in on a long con to get money from him. I think his kid plays guitar at some point, too. He makes these awesome facial expressions and sways during their live shows. There's a lot of side musicians looking at him with a smile on their face to further egg him on/inflate his ego/grab his wallet.

But he's made a new turn with his latest songs, as he's now a political folk/country type. He's described in this article as a "Bruce Springsteen for the 1%," which is an absolutely amazing comedy idea but horrifyingly real. He sings (I use that loosely) lyrics about New York City Mayor Bill DiBlasio's unfair tax policies towards the wealthy classes.

This is one of the best things I've heard in ages.

These were also produced by JOE WALSH of The Eagles. JD & The Straight Shot are opening for them on select tour dates.

It honestly doesn't sound that bad. He can't sing though.

So, Miley Cyrus did a note-for-note cover of Zeppelin's version of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and released it on Soundcloud.  It's actually not terrible (say what you will about her but she can sing), but again it's pretty much a carbon copy so I'd just as soon listen to Zep.

Of all the bands in all the world, they put U fucking 2 on my iphone without even asking? I am honestly outraged. I couldn't even delete it. Swiping left would just play the song, whereas any other song by any artist could be deleted that way.

It's the worst virus I've ever had. I had to delete all my music off my phone and change some settings to get rid of it and make sure it doesn't come back.

How much of a sell-out do you have to be to literally FORCE people to own your crappy album?

Fuck you, Bono. Twat.

• Like 3

Is this the place for Kanye West is an asshole? I hope the two fans sue him for millions. . . 

Phil McCarten / Reuters

Kanye West lashed out against the media after he was slammed for stopping his Sunday concert in Sydney until two disabled fans stood up. At a concert in Brisbane on Monday night local time, West slammed his critics. “I’m a married, Christian man with a family. Pick another target,” he told the crowd during rant that lasted several minutes. West described the wheelchair incident as “bullshit blown out of proportion." Yeezus also gave permission not to rise up in his presence. "I've been waiting all week for this, anyone who isn't in a wheelchair or handicapped, stand up," he said. "If you cant that's okay"

Read it at Twitter

Much more of a case of Kanye putting his foot in his mouth than being an asshole, if you actually focus on what happened (there's video) instead of getting outraged at misleading headlines. Nothing at all wrong with trying to get a crowd to stand up to get them hyped up for the show.

so Slash has a new album out tomorrow. i've really dug his solo stuff that he's put out. i don't think the vocals are great (just mediocre), but i could listen to that man play guitar all day long.

this new album "World on Fire" continues that tradition.

Much more of a case of Kanye putting his foot in his mouth than being an asshole, if you actually focus on what happened (there's video) instead of getting outraged at misleading headlines. Nothing at all wrong with trying to get a crowd to stand up to get them hyped up for the show.

So he wasn't an asshole this one time.  In general, he still is.

• Like 1

This how Swans close shows right now.

I guess someone has to be the Stooges now that the Ashetons are gone.

Saw them in New York in May and I ached for a week afterwards. Absolutely worth it.

man, tell me about it. What a weird show. I am SO hesitant to use this word to describe anyone much less a woman, but this drunken bitch sexually assaulted a friend of mine during A Little God In Our Hands, and then while she was getting kicked out for taking a swing at my friend (who kicked her in the shins to get her off her) she stumbled and knocked me and my best friend over, and she landed on my bad leg. Her apology? "Hiiiiii." I think if you hurt two people I love and me in a twenty second period, I get to call you a bitch. I think that's the line.

Then the rest of their two hour set happened and we got shook in another way. Wild times in LA.

Also if you saw Swans in NY that means you saw them with Jenny Hval and I am SO JEALOUS. UGH. Not that Carla Bozulich was a bad opener at all! She was excellent! Jenny's just a hero of mine.

• Like 1

Yesterday at about 11 am Guided By Voices announced a handful of new shows for the tail end of their current tour, including Detroit on 11/29.

About 4:30 yesterday afternoon, Guided By Voices announced they had broken up again, and the remainder of the tour is canceled.