DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I'm interested in replacing my blue/red album compilations by The Beates.  I'd love to get one of their box sets.  Can anyone recommend the best one to get?  I've tried to do some research on my own but going track-by-track through compilations is a little exhausting for me.  I'm just worried about getting some set and then finding out that something important was missed.  I'm leaning towards The Beatles Stereo box set.  I don't need that 1990s song they released or anything retroconned into their library after they stopped making music.

The Stereo Box Set is more or less the most complete set.

Has all 12 canon studio albums plus the two disc Past Masters that collects up all the singles not on the albums and the Long Tall Sally EP.

On the other hand, a lot of people (including myself) would argue that the mono versions are better for at least the first several albums.  But the mono box doesn't have Let It Be, Yellow Submarine*, or Abbey Road.

*The four original tracks on Yellow Submarine are on the Mono Masters version of Past Masters, but a couple of songs that never had mono mixes are missing.

So, yeah, Stereo is definitely the most complete version.

The recent U.S. albums box set has alternate takes on a few songs, alternate mixes on quite a few, but it's not got everything and it's more of a nostalgia trip for people who grew up with the original U.S. lps or a curiosity for people like me who are obsessed with all things Beatles.

In conclusion, get the Stereo set unless you're a fairly serious audiophile or a bigger Beatles fan than I got the impression from your post.  And I would personally advise buying Let It Be... Naked separately because it is a mostly improved version of that album.

• Like 1

The Stereo Box Set is more or less the most complete set.

Has all 12 canon studio albums plus the two disc Past Masters that collects up all the singles not on the albums and the Long Tall Sally EP.

On the other hand, a lot of people (including myself) would argue that the mono versions are better for at least the first several albums.  But the mono box doesn't have Let It Be, Yellow Submarine*, or Abbey Road.

*The four original tracks on Yellow Submarine are on the Mono Masters version of Past Masters, but a couple of songs that never had mono mixes are missing.

So, yeah, Stereo is definitely the most complete version.

The recent U.S. albums box set has alternate takes on a few songs, alternate mixes on quite a few, but it's not got everything and it's more of a nostalgia trip for people who grew up with the original U.S. lps or a curiosity for people like me who are obsessed with all things Beatles.

In conclusion, get the Stereo set unless you're a fairly serious audiophile or a bigger Beatles fan than I got the impression from your post.  And I would personally advise buying Let It Be... Naked separately because it is a mostly improved version of that album.

Thanks.  I was thinking of getting Let it Be...Naked as a stand alone purchase after hearing a lot of it on youtube.  It really changes the emotional weight of the album without the over production and I really do like that famous producer fella's wall of sound on other albums.  IIRC Across the Universe and the Long and Winding Road sound a lot cooler in the Naked version.

The blue and red double albums are all that I've owned for the last twenty years.  It has become easier to obtain with the internet and the destruction of the CD market   I've wanted all the Beatles albums for a number of years but the price never seemed to drop in any stores here in Canada beyond $10/$11 each.  They aren't my favourite group or maybe even top 7...maybe  #10 or #11 on any given day.  I prefer them to the Beach Boys (although I love Pet Sounds) or the Stones (although I love...umm really only Paint it Black and Wild Horses) or the Who (who...I do not like at all) or the Byrds or The Kinks as far as big 60s groups go.    

I'm more of a completist with Otis Redding/smaller soul labels/girl groups.  I'd be fine with mono or stereo versions and would probably go for the cheaper set if I had the choice.   

Right now on Amazon, the mono box is cheaper, but, as mentioned before, it's missing Yellow Submarine (though it has all the Beatles tracks from it, just not the score from the b-side, spread on other discs), Abbey Road, Let It Be, and a couple tracks from Past Masters (including my personal favorite Beatles song, ymmv)

So if you were to pick up Abbey Road and Let It Be, and, I don't know, buy those two tracks on I-Tunes, it would probably even out.

Now someone remind me again why it would be really fucking stupid for me to drop 170 bucks on the U.S. boxset.

Right now on Amazon, the mono box is cheaper, but, as mentioned before, it's missing Yellow Submarine (though it has all the Beatles tracks from it, just not the score from the b-side, spread on other discs), Abbey Road, Let It Be, and a couple tracks from Past Masters (including my personal favorite Beatles song, ymmv)

So if you were to pick up Abbey Road and Let It Be, and, I don't know, buy those two tracks on I-Tunes, it would probably even out.

Now someone remind me again why it would be really fucking stupid for me to drop 170 bucks on the U.S. boxset.

Once I get a decent vinyl set up, my goal is to buy the Vinyl boxset of the albums. I occasionally find some of those albums for cheap on vinyl (by vinyl standards), and I realize it'd be dumb to buy any of them individually.

The vinyl boxes go for over three hundred though, so be forewarned.

I know, but the individual albums go for their fraction of that cost online and elsewhere usually. Occasionally, you'll find a couple of them sneak into Amazon for cheap, but that's rare.

$300 for all Beatles Albums on vinyl is no more egregious than the first three deluxe Zeppelin albums going for that much.

This didn't really feel like it belonged in the Poptimism thread because there's not a Youtube link (all I could find was a mobile clip of the first 90 or so seconds of the song) but it doesn't go anywhere else.

So last week I fired up Spotify for the first time in a month or more, and they were REALLY pushing the Magic Man album. I hit play because, more than anything else, I was looking for music that would work well in the background while I did other shit, and on that count it works well. Basic hipster synthesizer pop, enjoyable but not special. (I had never heard their 2013 EP, so the entire thing was new to me.)

Then I hit "Catherine." It is an IMPOSSIBLY cheesy but addictive song, basically the 2014 equivalent of "The Promise" by When In Rome (in that it has absolutely nothing new to say lyrically or musically, but is so perfectly catchy that you will totally be singing it, and also there are synths).  But goddamned if I haven't listened to it basically every day since the album dropped. It's dumb and artificial and perfect and I love it desperately.

I haven't found a lot of albums up for streaming that are worth posting. Well, that changed.

shabazz-palaces-lese-majesty.jpg

"Lese Majesty" by Shabazz Palaces

Suite 1: The Phasing Shift
1. Dawn In Luxor
2. Forerunner Foray
3. They Come In Gold

Suite 2: Touch & Agree
4. Solemn Swears
5. Harem Aria
6. Noetic Noiromantics

7. The Ballad of Lt. Major Winnings

Suite 3: Palace War Council Meeting
8. Soundview
9. Ishmael
10. Down 155th in the MCM Snorkel

Suite 4: Pleasure Milieu
11. Divine of Form
12. #Cake

Suite 5: Federal Bureau Boys
13. Colluding Oligarchs
14. Suspicion of a Shape

Suite 6: High Climb To The Gallows
15. Mind Glitch Keytar Theme
16. Motion Sickness

Suite 7: Murkings On The Oxblood Starway
17. New Black Wave
18. Sonic Myth Map For the Trip Back

btw: this is a rap album.

Here's a random music fact that my brain is having a hard time accepting.  There are only three artists/acts that have had at least one #1 hit on the billboard pop charts in seven consecutive years.  Elvis Presley, The Beatles, and...

Rhianna?!?

She also has 13 #1 hits, the most by any female, and tied with Michael Jackson for the most by any solo artist, trailing only The Beatles who had 20.

I need some help looking for the title of a mike Patton song

its from one of his various projects throughout the years. the whole song pretty much consists of him clucking like a chicken. any help would be appreciated. i know it isn't much to go on.

• Like 1

I love punk rock. But the punk rock I love is the Ramones-type stuff and its derivatives, mostly who play poppy music about girls not liking you or dumb stuff you just watched on TV. A lot of my friends, though, were into hardcore. I was always really intrigued by the 90s hardcore scene. It was really baffling to me. So much of it was built around militant veganism. Like, the toughest and scariest and most violent dudes didn't have regular doses of B-12. It still confuses me to this day. (Also: The music is absolutely awful.)

Here's a video of EARTH CRISIS, the vanguard of animal rights militarism, playing a show at Middlesex Community College in New Jersey in 1996. I went with a few of my friends to this show but it got sold out right when we got to the door. A few of my friends who got there before us did get in and said it was completely insane. Here's video proof it was. Someone throws yogurt and empty beer cans at Earth Crisis. If that's not enough, someone also runs onto the stage in a fur coat and all hell breaks out.

Punk rock trolling at its finest.