DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I love both "Something to Believe In" and "Howlin' At The Moon." They're two of my favorite Ramones songs. My favorite Ramones song after the first four albums is Bonzo Goes To Bitburg.I read Mickey Leigh's (Joey's brother) autobiography a few months back. Those dudes wanted to be huge rock stars and were super pissed they never had a radio breakthrough. It wasn't their fault, though. It was radio's.If you like The Ramones (and every true American loves The Ramones) then you have to check out The Exploding Hearts. They're probably the most heartbreaking story in music history -- even past Chris Bell or D. Boon.

Y'know, just because the Ramones played catchy songs doesn't make them not Punk Rock. I was pushed against the front of the stage at a Ramones show at the "legendary" City Gardens in Trenton NJ in 88 and that was no fucking pop concert.

Y'know, just because the Ramones played catchy songs doesn't make them not Punk Rock. I was pushed against the front of the stage at a Ramones show at the "legendary" City Gardens in Trenton NJ in 88 and that was no fucking pop concert.

And I got squashed in a crowd during a Flogging Molly ballad. I also stagedove at a christian rock concert in my younger days.

A band can be both punk and pop. Stop treating "pop" like it's such a insult just because some boy bands appropriated it 15 years ago.

Arguing about what pop is seems a lot like arguing about what indie is after one of the Kardashians (can't be arsed to get the spelling right) started talking up Tame Impala. It's all a ubiquitous jumble.

Arguing about what pop is seems a lot like arguing about what indie is after one of the Kardashians (can't be arsed to get the spelling right) started talking up Tame Impala. It's all a ubiquitous jumble.

Oh, My God, Kristin Stewart just totally tweeted how awesome the new Ubiquitous Jumble EP is!!!!

• Like 1

Wait, back up. There are people who claim that The Clash aren't a punk band? I cannot fathom this.

And for the record, until bands like fifteen started the whole hippy punk/folk punk thing, pop punk was probably the only sub genre of punk that was actually worthwhile.

• Like 1

I don't mean to upset anyone, but isn't that just college rock? Like Olivia Tremor Control or Fountains Of Wayne?

Must admit I'm not getting 'punk' from that. Or even 'hippy' really. 

There's a lot of worthwhile punk, btw. I love me some pop punk (more than most), but that's far from the be all and end all. 

Anybody heard the new Crash Kings? I just found out they have a new album, even though I think it's already old. I kind of liked their debut, and wondered if it's worth chekcing out.

Best new band I've heard lately - Green River Ordinance. Look for the song "Dancing Shoes".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxXcQ77DDM

Big Sean feat. Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica - Control (HOF)

The first verse is the best Big Sean verse I recall, but you can skip to 3:00 and get to Kendrick. This is the song of the day. I've heard people who don't think Kendrick dropped one of the greatest verses in rap history, but I think he did. And I think it's a calculated step to get people to actually, you know, try. I adore the verse and I eagerly await the responses; far more than the current trends, hiphop is about battle. 

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxXcQ77DDM

Big Sean feat. Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica - Control (HOF)

The first verse is the best Big Sean verse I recall, but you can skip to 3:00 and get to Kendrick. This is the song of the day. I've heard people who don't think Kendrick dropped one of the greatest verses in rap history, but I think he did. And I think it's a calculated step to get people to actually, you know, try. I adore the verse and I eagerly await the responses; far more than the current trends, hiphop is about battle. 

Shit is going to hit the proverbial fan, and we will reap all of the benefits.  You just know everyone he named woke up today and went straight to the studio.  This is probably the most exciting thing to happen in hip-hop since Good Kid M.a.a.d. City dropped and I'm eagerly awaiting the responses.

It's a little bit amazing to me now how it works. I hear stuff on 89.7 (Lorde, Capital Cities, and yeah going back a year or two Mumford and of Monsters and Men) and then it sort of oozes over to the more mainstream alt rock type channels. And then a few months later it's on all the pop channels. I don't think music has ever really worked like this.

This isn't random, or a thought, but I sure as hell don't want to start a new thread for it.

My new album is out today, and it requires a little bit of explanation about how to approach it.

Basically, the center of the record is your decision. I've created three "courses" with different themes to place in the middle of the record. To keep from suggesting an order on the bandcamp page, the tracks for these courses are in two places: most of them are included as bonus tracks, but to help find out what course you might be interested, I released a free Starter Kit. You'll want to have both the starter kit and the album to get the most out of what I've made.

Don't worry, though: the album's $1 minimum. Not interested in fleecing people, just interested in trying something.

There are more details on the first track of the starter kit about what each course entails. So, click the respective covers to get to the music.

Posted Image Posted Image