DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

If this is in the wrong forum, apologies to all. Is there any awesome music/audio editing software around online if you wanted to try and merge or sync two audio files?

My cousins and I are talking the other day about favorite wrestling promos and out of nowhere someone mentioned the idea of the Dusty Rhodes Hard Times promo playing over the Can it Be So Simple instrumental or even the CREAM instrumental

Naturally we start dreaming up the best wrestling promos and instrumentals to sync them with, and now I'm dying to find some editing software to try it. Not for commercial use obviously, just something to listen to around the house 

On 9/13/2020 at 8:51 PM, Hayabusa said:

If this is in the wrong forum, apologies to all. Is there any awesome music/audio editing software around online if you wanted to try and merge or sync two audio files?

My cousins and I are talking the other day about favorite wrestling promos and out of nowhere someone mentioned the idea of the Dusty Rhodes Hard Times promo playing over the Can it Be So Simple instrumental or even the CREAM instrumental

Naturally we start dreaming up the best wrestling promos and instrumentals to sync them with, and now I'm dying to find some editing software to try it. Not for commercial use obviously, just something to listen to around the house

Audacity is free and open source. 

Should be able to handle anything you want. 

The learning curve may seem tough at first, but there's plenty of help out there. 

Https://www.audacityteam.org

• Thanks 1

Hey speaking of which, does anybody know of any free recording programs out there that a dumbass like me can figure out how to use? For years I was literally recording riffs on a cassette player directly to audio tape but that thing finally gave out on me recently. The only way I can record anything now is that little 30 second thing on my phone.

EDIT: I'm guessing Audacity fits under this category haha. Glad I clicked the link.

Edited by Curt McGirt

18 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Audacity is free and open source. 

Should be able to handle anything you want. 

The learning curve may seem tough at first, but there's plenty of help out there. 

Https://www.audacityteam.org

Thank you soooooooooooo much, oh my goodness this works like a charm! Awesome and simple, so much appreciated thank you. Already worked up some tracks syncing together and its everything I was hoping for. Blessings.

I mean, I just want to record clean guitar into my computer without buying anything really, so I can save riffs that I know I won't memorize. If it'll go into the laptop like me just recording a video then I'm fine with that. Can it do that?

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 9/12/2020 at 10:17 AM, The Natural said:

Haven't heard this song in many years and now it's in my head.

You want songs about poultry, Hasil Adkins is your man.

• Like 1

During the night shift, I had enough down time to start a Spotify Playlist called "A Giant Wad of the 80's" and I'm lumping in everything ( including some songs from the late 70's and from 1990 as well) and the results were awesome so far. I found a whole bunch of stuff I had forgotten or yet to hear by using the "Sounds like..." option. By the time I'll be finished with it, it will be very aptly named, as it will be one giant wad, indeed! Nothing further to report on this issue.

• Like 1

Hey squad, my friend and I are planning another list project. The last one we did I posted my Top 5 Albums of the Year(s): 1950-2019. So with the new Rolling Stones 500 Best Albums of All Time, we messaged each other that we should update our own lists. I got a new job so we don’t work together anymore, so it’s a cute project to keep messaging each other about. 

This got me thinking: If I did a Top 100 Albums project here, like the movie ones, would people here be interested in submitting by the end of the year?  Or a longer due date if enough people are interested. I’m working on one myself anyways. I’d gladly work on the ballot counting at the end if it is something you guys think would be fun.

I might could do that. I know I've got a top ten or twenty list saved somewhere so that'd be a start. But there will be a lot of repeat bands, probably -- if one album per band is a rule, that will definitely be a problem. 

EDIT: If I do this it will be a free jazz improv with no order past the top 30-50. There's no way past those numbers. And EPs are another question, because I have A LOT that would make the list. Mini LPs too.

EDIT II: I ALREADY HAVE A TOP 100. So sign me up. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I could do that, but the last time I floated that the general response I got was "lol no." who knows, times have changed

speaking of favorite albums and a decade:

Today is the 10th anniversary of my full-stop favorite album, "Public Strain" by Women. It changed my entire trajectory as a listener and a songwriter. Give it a shot if you haven't.

Jagjaguwar and Flemish Eye also announced a rarities comp today but I have all of those songs lol

i'm still totally buying it

• Thanks 1

I was grabbing a copy of Ghost Dance to use as bumper music for the podcast, when led me to listening to Side one of Easter, which I think is one of the best album sides ever. 

anyway, it’s funny to watch people’s videos of Rock and Roll (N*****) to see who they think deserves inclusion in the montages, along of course with Jimi Hendrix, Jackson Pollack, and the others.  

I still think the problem with doing a DVDVR best albums of all-time poll is I don't think you'll get enough overlap to get any meaningful results. I could be wrong, but my expectation is it would just be all over the place.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I still think the problem with doing a DVDVR best albums of all-time poll is I don't think you'll get enough overlap to get any meaningful results. I could be wrong, but my expectation is it would just be all over the place.

Yeah, could be a prob. Especially with how varying taste is. In there I say that if polling is a problem then it’s the personal journey of creating a list and going out of your way to expand your taste.

I’ve done things like this in the past as a passion project and discovered a lot of music that is now important to me. Forcing myself out of my comfort zone.

Goal: fun. If it’s just me and the four others posting in there the poll aspect won’t work. But I’m excited to track @Lamp, broken circa 1988‘s progress and he’s a poster before this I didn’t know as well. @Curt McGirt is gonna check out more Tom Waits and give us his thoughts. I’m excited for him to talk more about Metal albums which he has recommended and taught me in the past. I’m a fan of both @Execproducer and @Chaos posts and it will be cool to see what they value in an album.

You have an album you think is GOAT? Even if you don’t see yourself joining the long haul, I’d love to see your opinions. I’d appreciate the opportunity of learning something from/ of you.

• Like 1

We don't have to have any overlap. It's not like this is a competition or we need some kind of metric as to who likes what the most. It just seems to me to be cool to know what other people's interests are and maybe find some new stuff to listen to. Shit, music is fun! 

The only genre  (or more accurately a bunch of more or less overlapping genres) that I would feel comfortable enough to do Top 100 albums in would be Goth and I think even that would be shaky at best.

I'm having so much fun with the ever expanding 80's Playlist at the moment that it will take up most of my music time for now.

You know,  when I thought that the day wouldn't actually come, I did say that I'm going to try and keep up with modern music  (in the genres I care about) until the end of 2010's , THEN I only start listening to the 80's and complaining that they don't make good music anymore.

Well, the day has arrived but the problem is I still hear good stuff from 2020 every week in my Spotify suggestions.

The thing that I find most awesome is the lack of shame in which the current artists mash up everything from different good sounding genres and make stuff that wouldn't be thought of couple of decades ago.

I mean , for instance, who in their right minds would combine Nordic Power Metal, Italo Disco and American Hard Rock and yet, Beast In Black is a thing and awesome at that!

• Like 1

I'm going to try and manage my expectations on what that vague tweet could be about, since there's rampant speculation online that it'll be anything from a live stream benefitting the DNC (or something similar) or a remix album, or an album of artists covering the songs of Give Up, or a live album, etc etc etc. Which, I mean, the remix/cover thing has already happened in smaller pieces here and there, but anyway.

If this is a new album... I might cry. Seriously.

EDIT: Yeah, it was a Zoom joke video where they audition various musicians and celebrities. They did a similar thing in 2013. Ugh.

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm going to try and manage my expectations on what that vague tweet could be about, since there's rampant speculation online that it'll be anything from a live stream benefitting the DNC (or something similar) or a remix album, or an album of artists covering the songs of Give Up, or a live album, etc etc etc. Which, I mean, the remix/cover thing has already happened in smaller pieces here and there, but anyway.

If this is a new album... I might cry. Seriously.

EDIT: Yeah, it was a Zoom joke video where they audition various musicians and celebrities. They did a similar thing in 2013. Ugh.

We just can't have anything this year