DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v.4.75 (HBO is Out of the Manny Pacquiao Business Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

20 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Yeah I didn't realise until now. I know people find Haye very arrogant and cocky, but then I was a big Naz fan.

For me it's that with David Haye but more for things he says. I started liking Naz but the cockyness started to get on my wick.

Come Saturday night, one of us will be happy. I can't see it going the full 12.

On 2/26/2017 at 7:16 AM, Hail Sabin said:

The Fuck was up with Wilder's hair during the fight?

WHat they fuck was up with Wilder fans saying Gerald Washington was a legit test and challenger and the guy gets starched by the first punch with serious intentions he got tagged with.  Now the pain wont stop as the WBC has named Bermane Stiverne as the mandatory challenger.    

I thought it was a good, drama filled fight all things considered. Bellew's future at heavyweight though...I dunno. Winning that way might be the worst thing for him because he can have fun fights at cruiserweight and win impressively. Here, he punched himself out in half a round against a guy laying against the ropes after an Achilles injury and needed 3 rounds to recover from trying to get Haye out of there. He can get money fights now at HW, but unless it's against an older David Haye who gets hurt in camp again and aggravates said injury, I don't see him winning hardly any of them.

GGG-Jacobs-Banner.jpeg

Golovkin vs. Jacobs
March 18, 2017
New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

WBA Super/WBC/IBF Middleweight Championship: Gennady Golovkin © (159.6) vs. Daniel Jacobs* (159.8) - Golovkin, DEC (unanimous)
- WBA Super (sixth defense)
- WBC (second defense)
- IBF (third defense)

WBC Super Flyweight Championship: Roman Gonzalez © (114.6) vs. Wisaksil Wangek (114) (first defense) - Wangek, DEC (majority)
Carlos Cuadras (115.6) vs. David Carmona (115.8) - Cuadras, DEC (unanimous)
Ryan Martin (134.6) vs. Bryant Cruz (135) - Martin, TKO (referee stoppage), R8 (0:45)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Andy Lee (160) vs. KeAndrae Leatherwood (159.4)  - Lee, DEC (unanimous)
Jay McFarlane (241.4) vs. Matt McKinney (243.2) - McKinney, DEC (majority)
Serhii Bohachuk (146.8) vs. Yasmani Pedroso (147.8) - Bohachuk, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (2:28)

*IBF Championship only on the line for Golovkin; Jacobs Missed Same Day Weigh-In

Attendance
Gate
Buyrate

The whole setup for GGG/Jacobs is very weird in hindsight, at least from the perspective of trying to sell a PPV. Obviously, it had to be on PPV because HBO wants a ROI from the purses being paid out. I get that. However, HBO went to great lengths to try to make it seem like PBC didn't exist or acknowledge their fights. In addition, just like Kovalev, they made it seem like the fighters in GGG's division were afraid of the boogeyman that is Gennady Golovkin. They always used this the best person we could find tactic to sell fights. Now, you kinda have someone kinda notable (even though it's a William Joppy situation where everyone knows GGG is the actual WBA champ) from the group of people who were supposed to go unmentioned fighting Golovkin on PPV. How in the world is that suppose to sell more than the Lemieux PPV? You can't go into a PPV cold let alone undersell or downgrade the other main event participant. Maybe they didn't know the Haymon/HBO cold war would conclude, but you never close that door especially as you're trying to build a guy up.

Granted Jacobs isn't an elite fighter, he has carved out a decent career after the embarrassing Pirog loss in what was suppose to be his coming out party and the whole bout with cancer.  Knowing this might have been an option should have told them they should really put Jacobs over in some way.  Right now, honestly, it just feels like a fight that would be a good World Championship Boxing headliner instead similar to some of the other bouts that failed miserably on PPV like GGG-Lemieux, Crawford-Postol, and Kovalev-Ward.

• Like 1

Hell of a fight between Chocolatito and Sor Rungvisai. Everyone on my Twitter timeline had it for Chocolatito, but that two point swing after the first round had more of an effect than anyone expected. Moreover, after the surge in the middle of the fight, Chocolatito had a difficult time with the blood in his face from the two cuts. 

Anyway, a big, big upset in boxing and there should be a rematch.

Looking around the web seems like a lot of people thought Golovkin won it.  I have to say I was surprised by the final punch stat numbers.  GGG didnt look that busy at all.  I will have to watch the replay when they show it here and watch it without a couple of whiskeys in me.  Also the feed I saw was the Box Nation one from England and those guys were giving most of the rounds it seemed to Jacobs.  Probably slanted my view.  

• 3 weeks later...

30 years ago today, Marvin Hagler vs Sugar Ray Leonard took place

While Hagler is my second favourite boxer of all time, after reading the excellent Four Kings by George Kimball it's obvious he gave away too many concessions to SRL to get the fight as it was the big one he'd been wanting for years and years. The result is disputed to this day, and with good reason - it was close and with each viewing I change my mind regarding the winner, but in a standard ring I think Hagler wins decisively

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...