DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v.4.75 (HBO is Out of the Manny Pacquiao Business Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

I'm not into boxing as I am MMA. I occasionally watch the big fights. I listen to BBC Radio 5 Live's boxing commentary. On Saturday, Gennady Golovkin fights Kell Brook. Both are undefeated. Golovkin's 35-0 vs. Brook's 36-0. I know Golovkin has brutal power, 32 out of his 35 fights wins by KO with 22 in a row! Brook has 25 by KO. I couldn't believe it when the fight was announced, Kell has big balls fighting Triple G jumping up two weight divisions. I'll be listening to the commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live.

42 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I respect Kell.  He stepped up while the Eubanks fiddle farted around.  Dont see Kell winning but at least PBC will be happy since Kell is giving up his belt and Errol Spence can go win it now

Even though Brook was going to 154 anyway, I think that would have been a marquee fight for PBC. That's in contrast with the other top IBF contenders, Konstantin Ponomarev and Jeff Horn.

I honestly had Brook up 3-1 going into the 5th. Thought GGG looked pretty bad honestly, so I'm wondering if he was sick like has been suggested.  A friend speculated that maybe Brook had an eye injury that caused his corner to stop it?  He seemed to be pawing at it alot more than you would do for basic swelling.

• Like 1

I think it's probably that Brook is better than expected, and GGG isn't that big of a middleweight honestly. His punching power is such that it's going to be tough to survive a war of attrition with him. This could have turn into the Murray fight where Golovkin's power was as consistent in the final stretch where Murray was done as it was when Murray was doing fairly well early on. Except Brook probably won a round or two.

• Like 1

Canelo-Alvarez-Liam-Smith.jpg

Canelo vs. Smith
September 17, 2016
Arlington, TX (AT&T Stadium)

WBO Super Welterweight Championship: Liam Smith © (154) vs. Saul Alvarez (154) (third defense) - Alvarez, KO (left hook to the body), R9 (2:28)
Gabriel Rosado (159.3) vs. Willie Monroe Jr. (158.8) - Monroe Jr., DEC (unanimous)
Joseph Diaz (125.5) vs. Andrew Cancio (126) - Diaz, TKO (referee stoppage), R9 (2:27)
Diego De La Hoya (121.8) vs. Luis Orlando Del Valle (121.8) - De La Hoya, DEC (unanimous)

Free Preview Preliminary Card:
Sadam Ali (146.5) vs. Saul Corral (147.5) - Ali, DEC (unanimous)
Vergil Ortiz (139.3) vs. Ernesto Hernandez (139.5) - Ortiz, KO (straight right), R1 (0:40)
Hector Tanajara (132.5) vs. Roy Garcia (133.5) - Tanajara, DEC (unanimous)
Joshua Franco (117.3) vs. Bryan Bazan (118.3) - Franco, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (0:19)
Zachary Ochoa (140) vs. Daniel Montoya (141) - Ochoa, DEC (unanimous)
Alexis Salazar (157) vs. Larry Smith (153) - Salazar, DEC (unanimous)
Anthony Yarde (185.3) vs. Rayford Johnson (198.3) - Yarde, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (2:10)

Attendance: 51,240
Buyrate: 250,000

It's the usual free preview thing they do on RingTVLive.com and the official Golden Boy Facebook page. It starts at 6:30 pm est.

I remember it use to be on Ustream back when they did the Fight Club cards on there as well years ago.

I listened to BBC Radio 5 Live commentary on Golovkin vs. Brook. Golovkin stopped Brook in the fifth round as Kell's trainer, Dominic Ingle threw the towel in. I've seen the finish, stupid referee for not noticing sooner. Golovkin is now 36-0 with 33 by KO, 23 in a row.

Brook should get a lot of credit with Golovkin's record, moving up two weight classes, giving it a good go and wasn't knocked down. Ingle should also get credit for looking out for his fighter. In the early hours of Sunday morning Kell Brook and his promoter, Eddie Hearn tweeted Brook had a broken eye socket and was to be operated on Monday morning. Kell had to contend with that as well. Fuck Chris Eubank Jr. for his shameful towel remarks.

On 11/09/2016 at 3:33 AM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Brooks camp is saying he busted his eye socket. Good try.  Showed more grapes than the rest of the division 

On 11/09/2016 at 5:44 PM, RandomAct said:

So GGG is out there with walking pneumonia or some shit, and still breaks dude's face.  What a stud.

13 hours ago, OSJ said:

I'd much rather spend $50 to watch GGG beat Canelo to a pulp. Chickenshit bastard.

This to all quoted posts!

Wladimir from 3 or 4 years ago? I think that's a very compelling fight. The Klitschko from the Fury just looked plain tired. He was in the ring for 36 minutes looking absolutely sedated. I don't think Joshua is invincible, but he is clearing entering his prime. If Wladimir doesn't plunk him inside five rounds, I think it's going to be tough if Joshua is consistent with his activity. Like 118-110 or 117-111 type stuff.