DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v.4.75 (HBO is Out of the Manny Pacquiao Business Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

13346520_1017824948254148_42552096960020

Crawford vs. Postol
July 23, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBO/WBC/Ring Magazine Super Lightweight Championship: Terence Crawford (140) © vs. Viktor Postol (139.5) © - Crawford, DEC (unanimous)
- WBO (Crawford: third defense)
- WBC (Postol: first defense)
- The Ring Magazine (vacant)

WBO Featherweight Championship: Oscar Valdez (126) vs. Matias Carlos Adrian Rueda (125) (vacant) - Valdez, KO (body punch), R2 (2:18)
Jose Benavidez (146.5) vs. Francisco Santana (148) - Benavidez, DEC (unanimous)
Oleksandr Gvozdyk (175) vs. Tommy Karpency (174.5) - Gvozdyk, KO (body punch), R6 (2:21)

TopRank.TV Preliminary Card:
Ryota Murata (161) vs. George Tahdooahnippah (161.5) - Murata, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:52)
IK Yang (143) vs. Leonardo Zappavigna (143) - Zappavigna, TKO (referee stoppage), R6 (0:43)
Edward Williams (144.5) vs. Christon Edwards (144.5) - Williams, DEC (unanimous)
Stanyslav Skorokhod (155) vs. Hakim Bryant (155) - Skorokhod, DEC (unanimous)
Stephen Nelson (173) vs. Tim Meeks (171) - Nelson, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (0:32)

Attendance: 7,027
Gate: $750,000
Buyrate: 55,000

The title is a bit misleading. Morrison boxed for seven years with HIV PRIOR to the Nevada test that determined he had HIV. He fought once after that had been publicly disclosed in Japan and then fought again after returning from retirement. He also had a few bouts that were deemed to be staged (that don't show up on his official pro boxing record). There is that infamous story from 2007 where he fought an MMA bout in Arizona (on a Indian reservation obviously) and his opponent did not know the Arizona commission wasn't doing blood work or testing for that fight. His opponent found out while he was being interviewed on Sherdog radio.

Here is the press release from a 2009 "mixed rules" match he had:

PRESS RELEASE
Who’s Your Daddy Productions is pleased to announce it has reached a promotional agreement with two time World Heavyweight Champion Tommy “The Duke” Morrison. Morrison has embarked on a comeback which will continue as part of the only complete combat sport event in the world, Ultimate Xplosion. “We are pleased to have the opportunity to promote such an accomplished and controversial fighter. Mr. Morrison fits the mold that embodies Who’s Your Daddy Productions, Intrigue, Controversy and a complete disregard for authority. Mr. Morrison’s comeback is alive and well and will continue in the US under our label” states WYDP Director of Operations. Who’s Your Daddy Productions has paved new roads in combat sports over the last six years by combining all combat sports on one event. This format along with innovations in production format and distribution gives Who’s Your Daddy Productions an opportunity to become a major player in 2009. “We truly believe we have found a winning formula that will take the combat community by storm in the next calendar year.” Tommy Morrison comments, “I am happy to have finally found a team that shares the same vision as me, regaining the world heavyweight title.” Who’s your Daddy Productions invites the world to view Mr. Morrison’s first fight under Who’s Your Daddy label at Ultimate Xplosion 12 on January 31, 2009. Mr. Morrison opponent will is to be announced and will be broadcast on GOFIGHTLINVE.TV. Ultimate Xplosion 12 will be headlined by Mia St John. This opportunity was made possible only after Mr. Morrison was subjected to a battery of medical tests by personnel appointed by Who’s Your Daddy Productions and Morrison was pronounced fit to compete and free of any disqualifying medical conditions. “I told everyone in the world I was clean and I have proven it once again,” Tommy Morrison. All of Mr. Morrison’s fights will be available exclusively by internet PPV on GOFIGHTLIVE.TV. THE DUKE IS BACK AND HE IS HUNGRY; The question is does he have enough left in the tank to get it done? Only time will tell!!!!

Yes, this is a "press release". 

• Like 1

Outside of a few spots here and there, Postol really had nothing for Crawford. He was running into Crawford's traps all night. Postol was waiting for a brawl that he wasn't going to win anyway.

Sorry I didn't mean to be a dick either but I know Chester is from my area and our government doesn't allow us to be able to subscribe to Showtime.  So we are stuck streaming-ay or they get jammed on PPV for 60 bucks if we want to see Showtime fights.  Much like everyone south of us will get to watch the Adonis Stevenson card for free on Spike where as it will be blocked here and shown on PPV.  PPV in Quebec only probably

• Like 1

Saying you're streaming the fights is fine (much like some random person said in the Brock Lesnar thread IIRC). However, announcing where you are viewing the illegal content is where we veer into something else.

Even though Kodi itself is perfectly legal, we still have to be a bit careful. Hence, why I didn't actually answer Chester's other question. I just didn't want a back-and-forth to develop where more information is divulged pertaining to the streaming.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...