DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v.4.75 (HBO is Out of the Manny Pacquiao Business Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Wow what a comeback. Klitschko was cruising to points win but Joshua showed heart and desire when I thought he'd gassed himself out. Great fight. Haters shushed?

That entrance was embarrassing as fuck though, gave me flashbacks to Apollo Creed in Rocky 4

• Like 1

On 29 April 2017 at 10:56 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

That was a great fight.

Followed the Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko build and listened to BBC Radio 5 Live's commentary really missing Mike Costello. Get well soon, Mike. Watched the fight today, great fight and performances by both men. Also refreshing to have a lead to a fight with both men respectful of each other with no trash talking. Be nice to see more of this in boxing and MMA.

8 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Didn't agree with those judges at all, I had Klitschko up by a point 

Yeah, I was surprised - I thought Klitcschko should have been winning on points personally.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Spence won a great back and forth fight. PBC has to build towards Thurman vs. Spence.

Listened to the radio commentary with Mike Costello's welcome return. Sounded a very good fight. I'm not into boxing like MMA. Brook gambled moving up two weight divisions to face Triple G, loses and gets a badly broken orbital. Kell's had to weight cut back down, loses his title, and now his other eye has gone.

Happy George Groves won a world title at the fourth attempt. Carl Froch controversially stoped him in his first go, got KTFO by Froch his second try and lost a split decision to Badu Jack on his third go. How did people tend to score that one? 

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Listened to the radio commentary with Mike Costello's welcome return. Sounded a very good fight. I'm not into boxing like MMA. Brook gambled moving up two weight divisions to face Triple G, loses and gets a badly broken orbital. Kell's had to weight cut back down, loses his title, and now his other eye has gone.

I don't think Kell expected Spence to be that game and determined. At first, it looked like another Kell Brook welterweight title defense. Then, Spence slowly but surely got his bearings together and kinda stifled Brook with his pressure and hand speed. I mean Brook was landing pretty good punches for the first nine rounds or so, but Spence was giving it back more and more every round and not being all that affected by Brook's output.  However, once Errol's work started showing up on Kell's face around round eight it was a wrap. Brook couldn't keep Spence off of him. The last two rounds were particularly brutal. Brook was getting beat up really badly. The fact that Spence took Brook's best punches and had a mature performance makes it that much more impressive. He never really had to show this before. In some fights, he showed he was a very good boxer. In other fights, he showed he was a puncher. The Algeri fight was the closest but Algeri didn't put up any level of resistance let alone arguably or clearly win the first three rounds like Brook did.

53 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Happy George Groves won a world title at the fourth attempt. Carl Froch controversially stoped him in his first go, got KTFO by Froch his second try and lost a split decision to Badu Jack on his third go. How did people tend to score that one? 

For Groves vs. Jack? I'm pretty sure I had Badou Jack winning. Groves didn't fight a bad fight, but Jack was landing the cleaner, sharper, and more powerful punches. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 6:37 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Spence won a great back and forth fight. PBC has to build towards Thurman vs. Spence.

You would figure after Thurman vs Porter.  Guess Spence could fight a guy like Lamont Peterson in the interim.  Would be great if the eventual winner of the Welterweight sweepstakes took on Terence Crawford but dont see it happening

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

You would figure after Thurman vs Porter.  Guess Spence could fight a guy like Lamont Peterson in the interim.  Would be great if the eventual winner of the Welterweight sweepstakes took on Terence Crawford but dont see it happening

I mean it wouldn't rule it out though. I think since Top Rank dropped their part of the lawsuit against Haymon,  Arum/TR is open to working with PBC for like a big fight here and there. However, that would be contingent on Crawford finally fighting Manny, which somehow seems less likely than Arum working with PBC. 

• 2 weeks later...

ward-kovalev-678x381.jpg

The Rematch: Kovalev vs. Ward 
June 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

WBA Super/IBF/WBO/Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight Championship: Andre Ward © (175) vs. Sergey Kovalev (175) - Ward, TKO (referee stoppage), R8 (2:29)
-  WBA Super (first defense)
- IBF (first defense)
- WBO (first defense)
- The Ring Magazine (vacant)

WBA Super World Super Bantamweight Championship: Guillermo Rigondeaux © (121.5) vs. Moises Flores (122) (eighth defense) - Rigondeaux, KO (left hook), R1 (3:00)
Dmitry Bivol (174.5) vs. Cedric Agnew (175) - Bivol, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (1:27)
Luis Arias (160) vs. Arif Magomedov (159.75) - Arias, TKO (referee stoppage), R5 (1:16)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Junior Younan (170.5) vs. Zoltan Sera (170.5) - Younan, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:39)
Fabiano Pena (166) vs. Vaughn Alexander (161) - Alexander, TKO (corner retirement), R4 (3:00)
Tramaine Williams (124.5) vs. Christopher Martin (125.8) - Williams, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:44) 
John Bauza (143) vs. Brandon Sanudo (144) - Bauza, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:14) 
Bakhram Murtazaliev (159.5) vs. Alex Sandro Duarte (159) - Murtazaliev, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:33)
Enriko Gogokhia (146.5) vs. Jonathan Steele (146) - Gogokhia, DEC (unanimous) 

Attendance: 10,592
Buyrate: 135,000