DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My big question now is: what has to happen for "moderate" Republicans to jump ship or is that just not possible/realistic? 

Can that happen before theres a SC confirmation? 

McCain and Graham have positioned themselves firmly in the "Fuck you, we have always and will always think you're a piece of shit" camp and have been pretty verbally anti-Trump.  Now will that hold once something actually gets to a vote instead of everything getting implimented via Executive Fiat, time will tell, but at least those two have been at least publically showing a spine, unlike our Speaker.

God dammit.

President Trump has rewarded one of his most outspoken campaign surrogates, Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University and son of the Religious Right icon Jerry Falwell, with the top spot on an education policy panel.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reported yesterday that Trump asked Falwell to “head up a new task force that will identify changes that should be made to the U.S. Department of Education’s policies and procedures.”

On 2/1/2017 at 3:26 PM, Ryan said:

God dammit.

President Trump has rewarded one of his most outspoken campaign surrogates, Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University and son of the Religious Right icon Jerry Falwell, with the top spot on an education policy panel.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reported yesterday that Trump asked Falwell to “head up a new task force that will identify changes that should be made to the U.S. Department of Education’s policies and procedures.”

Look on the bright side.  At least you won't have to help your kid with science homework for the next four years.

• Like 7

Related; just got a letter from my daughter's small K-8 Lutheran school (read: a good school without all the dogmatic crap Catholic schools teach) that there's gonna be a vote in March for whether or not they should close for financial reasons.

We live in Philadelphia, and I'm sure I don't need to talk about the abysmal public schools here.

Fabulous.

1 minute ago, Super Ape said:

Related; just got a letter from my daughter's small K-8 Lutheran school (read: a good school without all the dogmatic crap Catholic schools teach) that there's gonna be a vote in March for whether or not they should close for financial reasons.

We live in Philadelphia, and I'm sure I don't need to talk about the abysmal public schools here.

Fabulous.

Best wishes, pal.

I am so glad I do not have children. I am worried for all my friends and relatives that do along with the fact my family has a lot of teachers in it.

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I am so glad I do not have children. I am worried for all my friends and relatives that do along with the fact my family has a lot of teachers in it.

My daughter's 18 months old. I have no idea what we're going to do. We may have to make some major sacrifices to home-school if things don't turn around before she's elementary age. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Paul Ryan hasn't been anything since Biden eviscerated him.

#1 verbal beatdown ever.  I legitimately thought Ryan was going to cry.

The education thing is awful, but honestly, schools as currently designed are very flawed anyway.  There are textbooks that try to refer to slavery as unpaid labor with the kidnapping, selling of humans, destruction of families, raping, and killing conveniently forgotten. Really?  REALLY?

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

#1 verbal beatdown ever.  I legitimately thought Ryan was going to cry.

The education thing is awful, but honestly, schools as currently designed are very flawed anyway.  There are textbooks that try to refer to slavery as unpaid labor with the kidnapping, selling of humans, destruction of families, raping, and killing conveniently forgotten. Really?  REALLY?

I'm sure this will make that better, not worse?

A lot of what goes in text books is decided on by lunatics on that one Texas board, so this is not surprising. They're not any better in charter schools. In fact in many they're way worse. Voucherizing the entire country under guise of school choice is what they want to do to push out the entire public education sector and privatize everything. That's the literal goal of someone like a DeVos, not just a conspiracy theory. Tax dollars paying for religious education regardless of whether you believe in it or not on a national level, somehow I don't think that's constitutional.

19 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

McCain being actively anti-Trump is amusing. I guess he remembers Trump calling him a coward for being captured, not all things are easily forgiven and I am sure he feels very comfortable in his position.

I'll wait until McCain actually does something before I pat him on the back.  W dragged his war record through the mud when he ran against him in 2000 and McCain still fell in line like a good little Republican after Bush was elected.  This is also the guy who held down MMA back in the Zuffa days (testifying that it was "human cockfighting") because he was in the pocket of boxing promoters.  The dude has no integrity and has lived off his POW stories longer than Ricky Martin lived off "Livin' La Vida Loca."

• Like 2

Never have I seen an administration actively do so much to either have itself forcibly removed or give it's own party enough reasons to impeach to just get rid of the headache.

Dear Republican Party,

Trust me, Mike Pence will do all of the same shit you want Trump to do, without all of the headaches, without having to call fucking Australia to apologize, without having to cringe while talking about inauguration attendance, without having to facepalm because your president and blogger in chief forces through such and such bullshit, etc. etc. etc. You have enough reasons to impeach the guy, but still be able to keep the world order, fuck around with public education, fuck around with health care, and more. You know you desperately want to kick this guy to the curb and there's no point in waiting for his approval numbers to drop low enough so you don't need to worry about his army of trolls coming after you.

And for you Paul Ryan, you likely get to become VP.

Be like Mike and just do it. Please.

Love,
America

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic