DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

My friend is buying all her gay male friends at her job bottle corks that are the dicks on little figurines. I suggest not buying one of those. (This is a bar/restaurant.)

• Like 2

On 2016-12-18 at 0:14 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

what do you buy a female co-worker for secret santa

If you know her well enough to know what her interests are, get something related to that. If you have no idea, then gift card is the way to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

That inner "NOOOO!" when you realize that someone from work bought you something for Christmas when you weren't planning on getting them(or anyone else) anything for Christmas.

On a slightly similar front, I did a cigar exchange and a spirit exchange.  We had a $20 limit for a drink, so I give whoever a bottle in that range.  The guy who drew me got me two regular sized bottles both in that price range (so maybe a tad less than $40 altogether)  I couldn't help but wonder if I should have gotten two bottles, but boy did I feel bad afterwards.

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's on them, not you.

Oh, I agree.  It was a temporary thought but not long after my mentality shifted to what you mentioned.

But still, can't go wrong with two bottles of booze.  Thanks, generous co-worker!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Someone bought me an hourglass for secret Santa. I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to indicate. 

You use it to murder your enemies and steal their shoes while they see their family appear in a crystal ball (sold separately, bluetooth connection) until a little fucking dog ruins the whole damn thing.

It's fun once but after that you'll never use it again.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2016 at 8:10 AM, Super Ape said:

My wife just threatened suicide to a mutual friend of ours. How delightful.

Aw Jesus man, that's horrible. My thoughts are with you and your wife. 

On December 14th my mother suffered a massive stroke.  The bleeding in her brain was extensive and occurred in some very important parts of the brain.  

That night at the hospital we were told it was a dire situation and it was unlikely that she would recover.  After a few more days of tests her doctors told us her best case scenario was most likely to remain comatose for months and if she ever awoke from that she would almost assuredly be in a permanent vegatative state.

My Mom had never talked to us about what she would want in a situation like that.  She was only 57 and we assumed we'd have a lot more years with her.

My sister and I felt end of life care was the right choice.  My Dad is a man of deep faith and he was holding out for a miracle.  Finally when it came to the point that he had to make a decision (before they had to start doing major surgeries on her) he agreed with us.

On this past Friday her life support was removed.  She passed quickly, within 45 minutes. She was also able to donate her kidneys, lungs and corneas to people in need of transplants.

I feel so drained.  It has been the most trying week and a half of my life.  Watching her go, trying to care for my handicapped father, planning a funeral with my sister, and trying to hold it together so my three year old (who doesn't understand why he can't see Geema) can enjoy Christmas.

I'm hoping that the funeral on Friday will bring us some peace of mind and serve as a fitting tribute to a wonderful woman.

I don't know you at all, obviously,  but I hope you get some sense of closure if that's possible and can't fathom having to go through something like that, but know I will one day no matter how far off in the future it is. Best wishes to you and your family. Life is too damn short as it is, give her the best tribute you can muster.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about your current circumstances, offspring515. When my mother passed away during holiday times it was at least early enough in the month that we had time to recover and pick up the mood with family at Christmas. I hope things get better for you and your family soon.

4 hours ago, offspring515 said:

On December 14th my mother suffered a massive stroke.  The bleeding in her brain was extensive and occurred in some very important parts of the brain.  

That night at the hospital we were told it was a dire situation and it was unlikely that she would recover.  After a few more days of tests her doctors told us her best case scenario was most likely to remain comatose for months and if she ever awoke from that she would almost assuredly be in a permanent vegatative state.

My Mom had never talked to us about what she would want in a situation like that.  She was only 57 and we assumed we'd have a lot more years with her.

My sister and I felt end of life care was the right choice.  My Dad is a man of deep faith and he was holding out for a miracle.  Finally when it came to the point that he had to make a decision (before they had to start doing major surgeries on her) he agreed with us.

On this past Friday her life support was removed.  She passed quickly, within 45 minutes. She was also able to donate her kidneys, lungs and corneas to people in need of transplants.

I feel so drained.  It has been the most trying week and a half of my life.  Watching her go, trying to care for my handicapped father, planning a funeral with my sister, and trying to hold it together so my three year old (who doesn't understand why he can't see Geema) can enjoy Christmas.

I'm hoping that the funeral on Friday will bring us some peace of mind and serve as a fitting tribute to a wonderful woman.

So sorry for your loss. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 4:53 PM, offspring515 said:

I lost my dad 6 months ago (he was only 62) so I know how much it hurts to lose a parent when they're young. I'm so sorry for you. 

• 2 weeks later...