DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

8 minutes ago, piranesi said:

That's actually good politics.  Like Reagan bringing Bush into the fold.  I'm disappointed that all Trump's republican opponents are now getting bound to him.

Or they are scared of  Omarosa's comment that Mr. Trump has a long memory and we're keeping a list comment.

I'd like to think Romney is not a political opportunist and is interested in a cabinet position out of a sense of duty to our nation. He's not perfect but he is intelligent, calm and collected. I would prefer a Romney representing our country in foreign affair versus the alternatives. It's not even close.  

• Like 4

I think he might be worse than Hillary Clinton when it comes to changing regimes in foreign countries. Meddling with North Korea and attempting a coup there is pretty dangerous, but he's on record saying he would like to do it. He wants to bring the Muslim world into the modern age, but I don't know how a white Mormon man is supposed to convince people to do that and accept things they just don't see as being "right" - much like him saying he would vote for a ban on all abortions, or opposing gay marriage, you can't convince him otherwise. His views on Russia doesn't really jive with the line of thinking Donald Trump has about Putin, either. He also thinks our influence in the world isn't what it used to be, or should be, and that's directly counter-productive to what Trump's idea of "America First" and isolationism (if he even meant that).

Yeah, in a cabinet full of crazy people, he's the least crazy for sure, but that doesn't absolve him from still being your typical Republican warhawk. Confronted with the alternatives, he's a good choice for sure. But I still don't know about living in a world where America's foreign affairs is overseen by someone who once said, "America hasn't dictated; we free nations from dictators" and doesn't see how that directly changed many of the regions where we "freed" the people from dictators.

• Like 2

I mean, does ANYONE have the same fears you have now if it was Romney who was just elected and not Trump? I'm a lifelong liberal, albeit with some libertarian ideas, and I wouldn't even be on anxiety medicine if Romney were elected. You remove ALL of the unpredictability with Trump and add in all the experience that Trump lacks.

So now the game is to surround Trump with as many intelligent or experienced people as possible and if some of those are remotely moderate then that is really what is for the best. We're in damage mitigation and survival mode now. This is just part of it. When people say they're hoping for the best, this is part of that. 

One thing ignored with a Romney SoS instead of someone crazier is getting Putin back to the table for START, resume the ban on intermediate range battlefield nuclear missiles, and finding some workaround for our agreement to turning plutonium into mox until we have a facility able to do such a thing.

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't have a problem with a Mitt Romney or Jeb Bush or any other Republican being President, besides all of the fundamental things I disagree with them on. The problem with Trump is that he's surrounding himself with a bunch of people like Steve Bannon or Jeff Sessions or Rudy Giuliani or Mike Pence, and then some moderately okay (for Republicans) people like Mitt Romney. To call Romney "moderate" is a stretch, but I'll let you have that I guess. Compared to everyone else right now, I guess he's moderate.

I don't really know if Romney would "get Putin back to the table" because he, personally, sees Putin and Russia as our enemy. Maybe Trump can get him to look past it, but I'm not holding my breath about anything involving Trump and his cabinet.

As a Conservative-leaning libertarian, I'd feel more at ease with this whole thing if I felt like Congress was going to focus on items such as fiscal responsibility and limiting the power of both the executive branch and the federal government in general; however, we currently just have different flavors of statism and crony capitalism in both parties to ensure that most of society's overall feelings towards governance is pessimistic. 

In a quote often attributed to (but maybe not said by) Mark Twain, "“No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session.” 

• Like 2

I certainly don't want President Romney, but, yeah, no, Trump and team is a whole different level.

Even then, there are degrees. Like, Rudy Giuliani has clearly lost his mind, but him as AG would be a defensible pick with logic to underscore it. But when there was talk of him as SoS.... Well, ole RMoney starts looking better.

Romney is the only rumored SoS short-list guy where I would be relieved to have at least an adult handling those affairs. He'd be better than the Rudy, Bolton, Newt. All 3 are war hawks who have not been politically relevant in at least 20 years..

It's kind of the same thing with Sessions. You knew he was going to get a high ranking post, but AG was the least ideal post for him to get in a Trump cabinet. I thought he would get Defense since he basically wrote Trump's foreign policy platform.

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a high-profile Bernie Sanders supporter during the Democratic primary, is “under serious consideration” for various cabinet positions in president-elect Donald Trump's administration, according to a senior level official within the transition team.

According to the official, the 35-year-old Hawaii congresswoman is being looked as a potential candidate for secretary of state, secretary of defense and United Nations ambassador positions. If selected, Gabbard would be the first woman as well as the youngest pick for Trump's cabinet.

say WHAT.

People forget that Trump has spent most of his life as a Democrat. If you really timeline out his donations, he didn't start swinging more Republican until Hillary lost the primary to Obama. That's the sad part about this election. A lot of the right are being hoodwinked into thinking this guy could be a Conservative candidate even with the Alt-Right nonsense, and a lot of liberals have chosen to ignore the fact that Trump has been on their side of the aisle for longer than he hasn't.