DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

The thing I keep thinking is, there's never been a President that's really delivered on the majority of their platform. They say what they need to to get elected, but then they never really do much of it.

Trump may get Obamacare repealed, but I doubt he's actually going to get stuff like the wall or anything like that accomplished.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, steve said:

The thing I keep thinking is, there's never been a President that's really delivered on the majority of their platform. They say what they need to to get elected, but then they never really do much of it.

Trump may get Obamacare repealed, but I doubt he's actually going to get stuff like the wall or anything like that accomplished.

Exactly.  That's what's keeping me calm right now.  It'll be bad but it won't be terrible.  I mean, we have a dumber, less prepared version of George W. Bush and that guy was pretty awful to begin with.  Trump is a carny who said what he need to say to rile up a bunch of marks.  None of the outlandish shit he said is going to get done.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Andrew Cuomo, Julian Castro, Sherrod Brown

Kanye West and Michael Moore have already announced. (Yeezy at the VMAs, Moore in his most recent release)

Cuomo is really unpopular in his own state so I don't know about that.

I agree with Castro and Brown and the aforementioned Cory Booker.

I have to assume that there are also people who are going to try and fast track Tammy Duckworth

Clinton, man. The arrogance of that campaign. Bernie overcoming a 20 point polling deficit in Michigan should have been the clearest warning sign that she needed to pay attention to the rust belt.

All of this centrist, "electability", lets play defense nonsense suppressed the vote.  Enough of it.

If Trump proved anything it's that the days of conventional campaign politics are over. It's time to swing hard left. Let's go for it.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, hammerva said:

While I understand, some of the people who are the most upset by this are the ones least impacted by all of this.  I mean how scared/unsure must you be right now if you are a Muslim living in America, an immigrant with questionable status in your family, gay, or the millions of Americans who actually did sign up for Obamacare.  

We are all worried because if how it makes us look but lot more people are worried about what will actually happen 

Some people don't care about an issue like losing their healthcare because it'll never happen to them. Other people care about the same issue because it shouldn't happen to ANYONE.

• Like 11

First of all, thank you to everybody for the posts in here.  It's comforting in a way.  @J.T.'s in particular was really awesome.

I don't understand people that didn't vote out of protest.  I understand that they couldn't vote Hillary, but at least vote somebody so Trump didn't have a chance to win.  I took part in a vote trading system where I vote whoever in a safe state (MD) in exchange for somebody voting Hillary in a swing state.  The idea didn't catch on with many, and I wonder if many knew that was an option.  It was perfectly legal and it'd help to ensure Trump didn't win.  Beats the tar out of not voting at all.

As for candidates in 2020, I can see a case for some of the ones mentioned.  Cory Booker seems like a good choice, but would need to read up on him.  Heck, I don't know his views on anything, but The Rock can't possibly be any worse than Trump as a choice.  There's those that really wanted him to run, and at first I thought it was nonsense.  But the guy knows how to build a solid team and will hustle like a madman to get stuff done.  There's better options, sure, but even if you take wrestling out of it he'd be a solid choice in my book.

And I don't know if you guys have been seeing the anti-Trump protests.  But they're fascinating to watch.  There's one at Inner Harbor tonight I'm thinking to check out, only a short walk from my work.

Vote swapping is not new. Heck - it was a small subplot on the West Wing like a decade ago.

I will just say this - just because it is "legal" doesn't mean people think it is "ethical"

Just to also tie things together - per Meltzer, he wouldn't be shocked at all if Linda McMahon ends up on Trump's cabinet as the McMahon's were one of, if not the largest, donors to his campaign and you had Linda immediately congratulating him on Twitter.

Yeah it sure does seem like most of Trump's cabinet is going to consists of the largest donors and biggest ass kissers like Christie, Gingrich,  and Rudy decayed teeth.  

So for all those people screaming CHANGE, yeah meet the new boss, same as the old boss.   Except with far less federal qualifications.  I mean can you imagine the email issues with Chris Christie

A few years ago I saw Ted Koppel speak. I remember him being asked, "after being a reporter for 50 years, after interviewing 5+ sitting Presidents, what have you learned about the Presidency." He remarked that everyone campaigns with all of these ideas and promises, but when you get to office, everyone is stuck with the same limited options. That's why so many thing stay the same and so few campaign promises are met.

If you remember, during the 2008 Democratic primaries, the candidates would go back and forth on how quickly they would close Guantanamo, the legality of the Patriot Act, and how quickly they would pull troops from Iraq. Today, Guantanamo is still open, the Patriot Act has stuck around and we only left Iraq because we had to.

Trump has already backed away from his wall-building and deportation force rhetoric. His last remarks I can recall on the issue was about deporting violent illegal immigrants. Which coincidentally has been Obamas policy. 

Will Obamacare be repealed? Symbolically it will. Will it be replaced by a very similar program that Republicans can put their stamp on? I believe it will. And honestly, that program may end up being far more effective than Obamacare as it would have the support of the Republican officials at the state level. 

I keep telling myself this stuff and hoping for the best. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Some people don't care about an issue like losing their healthcare because it'll never happen to them. Other people care about the same issue because it shouldn't happen to ANYONE.

My fiancee has a chronic medical condition and has had 11 knee surgeries in 3 1/2 years.  The thought of lifetime maximums and pre-existing condition screens coming back for insurance has been giving me panic attacks since Tuesday.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And I don't know if you guys have been seeing the anti-Trump protests.  But they're fascinating to watch.  There's one at Inner Harbor tonight I'm thinking to check out, only a short walk from my work.

Yea I was thinking of checking out the Baltimore protest too. What's even more fascinating has been the outrage over them. 

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So for all those people screaming CHANGE, yeah meet the new boss, same as the old boss.   Except with far less federal qualifications.  I mean can you imagine the email issues with Chris Christie

Funny... in the article I saw published yesterday morning about the Trump folks planning "revenge" on the GOP members who wronged them (obviously in the campaign's mind), #1 name on the hit list was Christie

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah it sure does seem like most of Trump's cabinet is going to consists of the largest donors and biggest ass kissers like Christie, Gingrich,  and Rudy decayed teeth.  

One of the strangest things about all of this is Trump was a fairly liberal democrat up until recently. And then you start looking at his cabinet. Outside of Gingrich, when you come down it, each were moderate republicans who moved further and further to the  right when they started having national political aspirations. Even Linda would be considered a moderate by today's standards. So who the hell knows what you're getting.  

6 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Yea I was thinking of checking out the Baltimore protest too. What's even more fascinating has been the outrage over them. 

Don't know what you look like, but if you do go let me know.  I'm very sure I'll be there, will have American Eagle hoodie on.

And it is fascinating seeing the responses to the protest.  I disregard them as noise, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard.  But if there's one good thing to come out of this is that it makes me actually want to say something and take part in stuff like this.  I've typed out stuff online that mainly falls on blind eyes, but with this typing just doesn't cut it anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Don't know what you look like, but if you do go let me know.  I'm very sure I'll be there, will have American Eagle hoodie on.

And it is fascinating seeing the responses to the protest.  I disregard them as noise, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard.  But if there's one good thing to come out of this is that it makes me actually want to say something and take part in stuff like this.  I've typed out stuff online that mainly falls on blind eyes, but with this typing just doesn't cut it anymore.

Awesome! If I make it down, I will look for you (likely wearing a hooded red jacket. My pic is on my twitter page, which is in my signature)

I've gotten more vocal on social media too, especially since a lot of Trump Supporters have this "let's just come together and move on" attitude. Today, I shared a story my boss told me this morning about her friend's son, who is Hispanic, being harassed on the school bus and being told to go to the back, with the blacks, because Trump is in office now. If it makes them uncomfortable, I don't care. 

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

First of all, thank you to everybody for the posts in here.  It's comforting in a way.  @J.T.'s in particular was really awesome.

I don't understand people that didn't vote out of protest.  I understand that they couldn't vote Hillary, but at least vote somebody so Trump didn't have a chance to win.  I took part in a vote trading system where I vote whoever in a safe state (MD) in exchange for somebody voting Hillary in a swing state.  The idea didn't catch on with many, and I wonder if many knew that was an option.  It was perfectly legal and it'd help to ensure Trump didn't win.  Beats the tar out of not voting at all.

As for candidates in 2020, I can see a case for some of the ones mentioned.  Cory Booker seems like a good choice, but would need to read up on him.  Heck, I don't know his views on anything, but The Rock can't possibly be any worse than Trump as a choice.  There's those that really wanted him to run, and at first I thought it was nonsense.  But the guy knows how to build a solid team and will hustle like a madman to get stuff done.  There's better options, sure, but even if you take wrestling out of it he'd be a solid choice in my book.

Dude, The fucking Rock is a Trump supporter and bitched out Last Week Tonight to corporate at HBO when Oliver went hard after Trump earlier this year. Fuck that guy.

A lot of people argued that a vote for Johnson or Stein was more or less a vote for Trump. there was only one realistic alternative to him on the ballot, as lame as that is. Protest votes during a time of such possible danger just don't add up in my mind. This election was different from most. It had a numerous moderate Republicans saying they'd reluctantly vote for Hillary because they knew a vote for Johnson was not going to accomplish anything.

Not to start an ideological war, but I'm confused by Tecnico's views on Sanders. I feel like one of the worst things about this election is that it has poisoned the well of populism even though it isn't inherently negative. Wall Street has continuously run amok since the deregulation of the Reagan administration, and an insider like Clinton was unlikely to being about real change in that regard. He had strong views on taxation, the environment, and generally was pushing for a egalitarian society. His popularity forced Hillary to the left. What's the problem?

9 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I've gotten more vocal on social media too, especially since a lot of Trump Supporters have this "let's just come together and move on" attitude. Today, I shared a story my boss told me this morning about her friend's son, who is Hispanic, being harassed on the school bus and being told to go to the back, with the blacks, because Trump is in office now. If it makes them uncomfortable, I don't care. 

It breaks my heart that the movement didn't wake up until after the election. I feel like we were so sure that logic and decency would prevail that we did not fully recognize what was at stake. I'm far more vocal now than I was before the election, but question whether it is too late. So much has been lost. I selfishly thought donating money was enough. Area volunteers kept on calling me asking me to donate my time and devote a day of the weekend to knocking on doors in a swing state county.   I kept on telling them I'd love to, but I have a newborn at home and it is just too much. Was it really though? Now my son will face a different future. I'm sure there were thousands of people just like me. Who thought they were too busy, or too old, or too whatever, to fight for the rights and beliefs they hold so dear. It breaks my heart. 

• Like 2

Seeing that many of my fellow wrestling fans are also compassionate, bright, and left leaning has helped my mental state tremendously. For that, I thank you. I live in the reddest state in the union and these fucking hicks are in full-tilt shit kicker mode so finding a spot of peace and intelligence is like an oasis in the desert.

• Like 7

I would like to know more about this John Oliver/Rock feud since I can't find anything about it online outside of Oliver making a joke about being banned from the set of Ballers