DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

You know, you heard jokes about the Cubs winning the world series leading to the end of the world... but maybe.

If you'd told me the year the Cubs won the World Series would be the worst year ever, I wouldn't have believed you. 

I feel like I'm living in a high-concept t.v. series 30 years from now the premise of which is "Remember the 2016 election?  What would it be like if we had actually elected Donald Trump?"

Along the lines of "What would it be like if we had lost WW2?" or "What would it be like if Russia had taken over America?"...and as I type that last one I realize just how the dominoes can fall.

My main fear regards the environment ("CLEAN COAL!", withdrawing from the Paris agreement) and the Supreme Court appointment. Both of those shit storms will stink for far more than four years. 

• Like 1

I'm kind of in a 'wait and see' about this. I'm Greggulating.

A lot now depends on what Trump actually wants out of this, has he got two terms in him, to what extent he's going to be ecumenical in order to placate the markets, to what extent he focuses on remaking the GOP in his own image etc etc. A lot of unknowns right now, which is unsettling, and there's no doubt in my mind that some far-right elements will be emboldened. But likely we will have a better idea in the next few weeks what things are really going to be like.

The people who voted think they are...for reasons, racism and fear mostly. Manufacturing has been dead for over 30 years, nothing he does will change that, literally nothing could, we did it to ourselves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

So is this feeling of anger and depression how our UK members felt earlier this year?

Well, the thing is, there's still a chance that Brexit won't actually happen. Whereas you lads are pretty much buggered for the next four years whatever happens... unless he dies or something.

• Like 2

My wife and I at some point are going to move out from our tiny place in the city to a proper house.  When that is who knows.  But we've been doing this with the intent of having a child.  But I just can't imagine having a child during he-who-will-not-be-named's presidency.  If at this point in time we were ready for it I'd feel like a giant asshole working on bringing a child into this world.  My heart hurts so damn much, and as much as I'd love to move to another country that's just not possible for us.  This is beyond horrible.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

My wife and I at some point are going to move out from our tiny place in the city to a proper house.  When that is who knows.  But we've been doing this with the intent of having a child.  But I just can't imagine having a child during he-who-will-not-be-named's presidency.  If at this point in time we were ready for it I'd feel like a giant asshole working on bringing a child into this world.  My heart hurts so damn much, and as much as I'd love to move to another country that's just not possible for us.  This is beyond horrible.

Don't sweat it.  Having a kid is awesome and will change you in many cool ways.  If everyone decided to not have kids based on the perception that "whatever the latest horrible event is proves the world is too shitty to raise kids in," our species would have died out long ago.  

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I would love to have a kid and when ready likely will.  But it's just thoughts of "My gawd, what world are they going to be brought into?" that are currently running through my mind.  Hopefully when they're old enough to understand what's going on there'll be a far superior president running ship and they won't have to worry about this.

8 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Fucking REAGAN is spinning in his grave like a rotisserie chicken. 

I'm glad you said this because Conservatism or anything resembling it did not win today. The irony is Conservatives willfully vote for the death of it. Unbelievable.

Most years, a Republican win would have me elated, especially after enduring the last 8 years of horrible (in my personal view) policy, but I feel a lot of things today, sadly happy is not one of them. I really hope those people on the right (myself included) that say they care about the Constitution will make sure to fight Trump and the Alt-Righters on things when we try to do things to usurp our founding document.

• Like 1