DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

Since the other thread got sidetracked about 400 times, some fault of my own and closed for obvious and good reasons. I figured this would be useful for the people in there who were dealing with life troubling personal life issues with family, health, and what-not and hopefully wouldn't get sidetracked into petty squabbling. If this doesn't work out, feel free to close this too, but the catharsis seemed useful for a lot of people.

• Like 6

Well, hardly a major "life event", but certainly worth a few "gosh darn its" at the very least... Not only did Newt manage to get out of the house when she went into heat (coming back pregnant, of course...) but I've learned that we have prairie dogs in the vacant lot down the street. How do I know this? Simple, because she's killed three of the damn things and dragged them into the house!!! The damn things are about the size of a squirrel, or roughly half the size she is (she's a very small cat, but apparently ferocious.) 

Can't get the damn thing away from her as she's growling and giving me the "take my lunch and I will fuck you up good" look. It ain't about taking her lunch, the thing is dead so I could care less... I just don't want her imparting hunting wisdom to the "kids" Raffles & Waldo (nine months) or Tyrion and Varyas (three months).  We don't need an army of killers hiding their handiwork around the house. Prairie dogs, for fuck's sake...

I have three cats, 2 large(r) and  1 medium or small. All have been mousers at one point or another, and I'm pretty sure the older boys(Jack, 13 and Billy, 12) have taught the younger Gidget(5) the skill. Because she's the one leaving "presents" now.  I should note that there is a field as part of the property, so they get plenty of chances at it. Good luck on the keeping the younger cats from doing it. . . 

My wife took the baby to the beach for the week with my in-laws. I'm going down after work tomorrow for a couple of days, but I miss them terribly. This was the longest we've been apart since my daughter came home from the hospital. 

• Like 2

Last weekend, I went to my girlfriend's dad's memorial.  He died in October when a car ran a red light and plowed over his motorcycle, but because his wife had no family still in Montana to help set things up and the weather was about to go nuts, they made the decision to cremate him immediately but wait til his next birthday for the actual memorial (not a religious ceremony, obviously).

It's been weighing pretty heavily on me since; several days of finding out all the authors etc we had in common, being given a really nice coat of his, etc. took a few days to really hit me but it hasn't gone away.  Hearing nearly everyone tell me he would've liked me, it's a shame we never met, etc. got to be pretty brutal--especially since she told me that she only started dating again because of his death.  I'm not sure what it means that it's still fucking with me a week later, but it is.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2016 at 1:25 PM, Kuetsar said:

I have three cats, 2 large(r) and  1 medium or small. All have been mousers at one point or another, and I'm pretty sure the older boys(Jack, 13 and Billy, 12) have taught the younger Gidget(5) the skill. Because she's the one leaving "presents" now.  I should note that there is a field as part of the property, so they get plenty of chances at it. Good luck on the keeping the younger cats from doing it. . . 

It's too late... Varyas brought a lizard home today, he was just completely pleased with himself. After making sure all the other cats saw it, he presented it to Kathy and went back out to (I guess) look for another one... It's funny, but the cats that moved with us from Seattle can't be bothered with lizards or rodents, they're still hell on wheels when it comes to birds. The cats that were born here in NM instinctively go after the lizards.

• Like 1

Do cats actually eat lizards and such? We have some cats that mouse around here, but all we have are moles and toads which I'm unsure they'd eat.

Mostly my cats don't eat the mice. I've seen my cats play with grasshoppers and not eat them. An old cat of mine(who disappeared without a trace) once ate a bird, whole, snake style, when I tried to take it away from her. She was a little thing too, maybe 8 pounds, but she wasn't going to give up her treat. 

On 7/19/2016 at 4:07 AM, Ryan said:

Do cats actually eat lizards and such? We have some cats that mouse around here, but all we have are moles and toads which I'm unsure they'd eat.

When Cersei was still pretty much a kitten Seven (who is the most amazing hunter I've ever seen*), brought her six lizards over the course of one day and damned if she didn't eat them all save for heads and tails.

*One evening he was sitting outside with me and suddenly went into this pointer-like stance for a few seconds, then he took off up the hill some sixty feet away, dived into some bushes and came back down with a fairly good-sized blue-tail skink. Now how the hell he saw the critter in the bushes from that distance and managed to catch it is something I can't begin to explain. I know they see things that we can't but that's just ridiculous.

On related matters, I've seen how Newt decimates the prairie dog population... She just makes herself comfortable behind one of their holes, when they poke their heads up to make sure the coast is clear, it's all over... One thwack stuns 'em and then she's got her teeth in their throat and the fat lady can commence with the aria (or dirge, as is more appropriate.) I'll freely admit to having a lot more sympathy for the lizards. Reptiles don't do anything to bother me and prairie dogs are just like squirrels without trees (squirrel = bushy-tailed rats = "vermin", OSJ = not a fan).

• Like 1

We got home from our mini-vacation last night to find the house/dog sitter gone and vomit and feces all over our rug. Our 4-year old pit mix looks to have maybe eaten some grass, but our 13-year-old Pom was extremely bloated (she weighs four pounds, but she felt like a concrete block.) The sitter wasn't answering our calls or texts, so we were completely in the dark. To make matters worse, the baby slept the entire car ride home and then stayed up all night completely miserable.  Around 3 am our carbon monoxide alarm went off, and although we figured it was the battery we didn't want to chance it, especially considering how ill the dogs were. So, we ended up standing outside until nearly four while the fire department checked our basement and replaced the battery for us. (They were very nice, but I felt like an ass.) 

Both of the dogs seem okay now, and we're chalking it up to nerves from our absence. 

Needless to say, I wasn't a ball of fire upon returning to work today. 

• Like 1

We lost Daisy, our Pomeranian, today. It seems to have been a brain aneurysm and not related to her bloating from a few days ago. I feel so terrible for my wife. She'd had her since high school, and she essentially became my dog as well when Shannon and I started dating ten years ago. I'm really devastated. I fed her and left for work and got the call that she was gone less than an hour later. This was from shortly after my daughter was born last year. 

My dog had a seizure this morning. First time that it has happened. Taking him to the vet in a few minutes. He's a wheaten terrier, turning 6 in just a few days. He seems fine, but I'm definitely worried. I was really hesitant calling my wife about it, since she's at work for the next 8 hours and can't do anything about it, but I decided, in the end, to fill her in. I'm worried it was a mistake, really, because now she's just going to be panicked at work for the rest of the day.

Anyway, I hope it's not a symptom of something serious. Don't know what I'd do if I lost the little guy. Wheatens are long-lived and it's not unusual for them to live 16+ years.

My uncle Dennis passed away about an hour ago. If you ask me, he didn't deserve the exit he got. Not even close.

If there's a moment of humor in all of this, it's that when I was talking to a friend of mine to vent, I had to correct him- "no, you've got this uncle confused with my other terminally ill uncle." If I was creative enough to make a situation like this up I'd get a lot more done.

Still looking for a job.  It's been a little over 10 months now.  I recently made it to a second interview for one particular job, and that seemed to go pretty well.  A couple weeks later the company contacted me, asking for my references, so I gave them those.  A week after that, they contacted me again and said sorry, you didn't get the job - and that same day, an ad for the position that I was rejected for goes back up on their website.

I had contacted all my references at the start of this job search, and all of them said they'd be fine with being a reference for me.  I e-mailed them all again a couple weeks back and let them know that this company would probably be getting in touch with them.

So... I guess I gotta go back to them and make sure they're all saying positive things about me?

Ugh.

It's been a month now since my dad passed away and I'm still so seethingly angry over it, but I feel like I need to keep it hidden so the rest of the family doesn't worry any more. We've all done enough of that watching him fight cancer for 5 years, I don't want to pile on any more unnecessary worrying. 63 is far too young for anybody to die, and while I know people mean well when they tell me "he's in a better place now" it only serves to piss me off even more. I don't want him in a better place, I want him HERE. With me. I should have had 20 more years with him at least and I feel cheated, and I just can't move past this burning rage I feel. There's no history of cancer anywhere in our family, and of all the people to get it it had to be him? The only one of his siblings that didn't smoke and excessively consume alcohol? It's not fucking fair. My birthday is 10 days away and it'll be the first one where my dad hasn't told me he loved me and he's proud of me. I know this is just the "anger" phase of the 7 stages of grief but god damn is it going in full force. 

Just needed an outlet to vent. 

I may or may not be dealing with kidney stones. The first round of X-rays to determine what the stabbing pain in my left side is proved...inconclusive. Seeing a urologist later today to see if we can get to the bottom of things. I know it's not appendicitis, at least, since they yanked that out years ago. :P

All I know is that it hurts like a motherfucker. Thank god for pain meds. Current dose is just kicking in, so I may get a bit more sleep tonight after all.

Damn man, I'm sorry for you. My dad had kidney stones once and he was in agony.  And this is a guy whose pain threshold was so high he walked around with a fracture in his ankle for 2 months before finally seeing a doctor. 

My thoughts go out to you all.

@BrianS81177: I understand how you don't want people to see you upset, wanting the person you've lost back and losing out on more years spent with that loved one. Fucking sucks. My Mum was only 53.

@Shane: Kidney stones are horrible. One of the worst pains I've ever had. I had 40 of them and by the time I got my appointment to get rid of them, I got rid of them naturally (cymbal crash). I still have pains round there but not as bad,

The house I inherited when my parents died three years ago has a lien on it. Chances are very high that by the end of the year (perhaps sooner) I will have absolutely no place to go, considering I'm the black sheep of my family, for whatever reason, that rules out any help. Alcoholism, decade-long depression and this are creating a very toxic cocktail. 

I'm thirty and regret every second. 

I've been battling a migraine for about a week now. And now I had a filling fall out and its old location is grinding against my tongue with a nice sharp dental stalactite. I expect to be mainlining codeine for the next 60 hours or so. Fun!

Well, the good news seems to be that kidney stones are *not* the culprit. The accompanying bad news is that I now don't know what the issue is...

I'm not necessarily feeling too anxious just yet, but as someone who only seems to have bad luck, it was a pretty heady phone call. My mind went in a lot of directions for sure.