DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

"At least I got a finisher at this point. I hadn’t had a real finish up until then. I used something off the top rope back when I was Sparky Plugg: either a cross body, a splash, or a kneedrop. After I’d become “Hardcore,” I usually won matches by using foreign objects.I did use a pump-handle slam sometimes, but Vince Russo came to me around the time they were starting to push the hell out of Test and asked if I would mind giving the move to him. “Do I have a choice?” I asked. He replied, “Not really.” So why ****ing ask me?!I tried the Falcon Arrow for a while but didn’t really like it. It didn’t help that Russo wanted to call it “the Hollycaust.” That got stopped quickly when the office decided the name would offend a lot of people. After I watched a whole bunch of documentaries on the subject, I understood. It’s something people don’t want to be reminded of. To try and shock people, Russo probably would have pushed for me to use it to beat Bill Goldberg, Billy Kidman, and all the other Jewish wrestlers." - Bob HollyYes, he had to watch documentaries on the Holocaust to get it.

As a tribesman, I wasn't actually offended by the "Hollycaust" name the handful of times I heard it- there's more than one definition to the word, after all. That said, with Russo booking I could see the word usage getting really out of hand.

• Like 2

That line from Jericho's second book about Hogan had me chuckling for a solid 3 minutes. Hogan doing things on the fly seems like it could be awesome.

Jericho's first book was one of my favorite reads when I read books more often. How is the second one?(besides the awesome line about Hogan?)

It's not nearly as good as the first.  It's about half wrestling stuff (which is good and offers some good backstage WWE insights) and half Fozzy stuff which I personally didn't give a shit about.

I liked both those halfs but I agree with everyone here saying Jericho's first book is the best. The three best wrestling autobiographies I've read are Mick Foley's first book, Bret Hart's and Chris Jericho's first book.

Just finished Bob Holly's book and it is indeed awesome. I love that he goes into specific details about things, from how much he made for certain PPV matches, to what he was making per year, to his steroid cycles and which ones he took (!). Just a ton of interesting and honest info that you don't see a lot. And with the way it's written you just can't not read it in Hardcore Holly's voice, which makes it funny as hell. Highly recommended.

I got "Drawing Heat" and "Long Days and Short Pays" today. Anyone else read them?

If it's Drawing Heat by Larry Matysik, I have. I hated it. It was 90% him complaining about modern wrestling, mostly.

Consequently, I'm currently reading the E's version of The Rise And Fall of ECW. Now I am by no means an ECW expert or a fan when it was around, but it seems like there's a lot of inaccuracies in it. For example, they claimed that Shane Douglas won the WWF TV Title in 1992. Also, some of the photos identify the wrong wrestlers.

I got "Drawing Heat" and "Long Days and Short Pays" today. Anyone else read them?

If it's Drawing Heat by Larry Matysik, I have. I hated it. It was 90% him complaining about modern wrestling, mostly.

Consequently, I'm currently reading the E's version of The Rise And Fall of ECW. Now I am by no means an ECW expert or a fan when it was around, but it seems like there's a lot of inaccuracies in it. For example, they claimed that Shane Douglas won the WWF TV Title in 1992. Also, some of the photos identify the wrong wrestlers.

It's not Matysik's book, it's another book by Jim Freedman. Originally published in 1989 but recently republished by Scott Teal and Crowbar Press.

Posted Image

Yeah I got it from Amazon, I got "Long Days and Short Pays" at the same time.

Posted Image

For any UKers that interested, it was quite a bit cheaper ordering them from amazon.com than it would have been ordering them from Crowbar Press. Postage was less than $8 combined compared with $20+ from Crowbar.

One of the Crowbar Press books that doesn't get much attention is the Downtown Bruno book.

He's such a character and has had such a weird career. He's very honest in his opinions, and has some really strange ones. Worth a read, especially if you like Memphis stuff.

It depends. Backlund is crazy and a freak for language so it could be really weird. But if not, it'll probably suck. He was pretty straight-laced so any road stories would be ones he witnessed.

EDIT: As in, ones he didn't participate in. Then again Jericho did say he got plastered on that Japan tour due to Murdoch and it was pretty funny...

Also, I really wanna read that Downtown Bruno book. Talk about road stories!