DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

I am very excited about this, but that price! I need a review or two, as well as an assurance that Jeebus won't be continually name-dropped, although the Debbil is acknowledges in the pitch.

http://www.maniacmarklewin.com/bookstore.html 

6154479.jpg

but this author pic is quite impressive:

1384476793.png

he's one baaad mother---

RAF (just talkin' about Haze)

I am very excited about this, but that price! I need a review or two, as well as an assurance that Jeebus won't be continually name-dropped, although the Debbil is acknowledges in the pitch.

6154479.jpg

1384476793.png

he's one baaad mother---

Apparently it's like 160 pages and semi kayfabed so you might as well get his Highspots shoot interview which is something like $10 to download.
  • Like 1

I know I already run my own thread but I figured I'd put a heads up in here for those who've not seen it, but I co-author the History of Wrestling books (The Complete WWF Video Guide, The RAW Files and Superstar Series) and just wanted to make note that Volume 1 of the Video Guide is available through to Sunday night on Amazon for just 99p / $1.61 thanks to a limited time offer price drop gimmick from Amazon.

The Complete WWF Video Guide: Volume I (322 pages)

7323437.jpg

• Every WWF VHS release from 1985 - 1989
• Full reviews of every tape
• Alternative wrestler biographies
• Exclusive artwork by Bob Dahlstrom
• The 37th Annual Volume I Awards
• Star ratings for every single match
• Plus much, much more

"Very comprehensive and a genuinely useful reference guide." - John Lister (Fighting Spirit, Turning the Tables)

"An incredible resource for our generation of wrestling fans." - Blake Norton (WOW Magazine, The Bagpipe Report)

"A lot of good information here…a fine research resource…fascinatingly nostalgic.” - Brian Elliot (Fighting Spirit Magazine)

Universal Amazon Link: http://getBook.at/WWFGuide1

• Like 1

6154479.jpg

1384476793.png

he's one baaad mother---

Apparently it's like 160 pages and semi kayfabed so you might as well get his Highspots shoot interview which is something like $10 to download.

Thanks for the heads up. My book-buying chum bought it (after I alerted him too it oops aaah he has a real job) and was disappointed, "Shades of the Great DDMantell Book Scandal" he said. I was hoping that ML's book would come soaked in seawater...

- *sigh*,

RAF

p.s. - Hey Bix! It's Bix! How are ya!

From Jericho's instagram "HBKs face was a crimson mask during this match in 2008 and as a result, the WWE 'blood era' ended on this night. The classic HBK/Jericho feud makes up a huge part of my new book that I'm putting the finishing touches on now...you're gonna love it!! #sept2014"

• Like 1

2357850.jpg

ONE WEEK ONLY SPECIAL OFFER! (Expires 11pm on Sunday, December 8th)

Also available this week at a special, one-time only discount of 99p (UK) and $1.61 (US) is the Kindle version of Volume 2 in the series! The blurb:

COVERED IN DEPTH:

• Every WWF VHS release from 1990 - June 1993!
• The decline of the World Wrestling Federation!
• The death of Hulkamania!
• The sex and drug scandals!
• The ascension of Bret Hart!
• The rise of Shawn Michaels!
• The birth of Monday Night RAW!
• The WWF's mass expansion across Europe!
• The arrival of the Real World's Champion!
• The sorry state of tag team wrestling!
• The madness of Randy Savage's commentary!
• IRS chinlocking everyone to sleep!

STARRING:

• Hulk Hogan!
• Bret Hart!
• Ric Flair!
• Shawn Michaels!
• Macho Man Randy Savage!
• Mr. Perfect!
• The Legion of Doom!
• The Undertaker!
• The British Bulldog!
• Doink!

PLUS:

• Full reviews of each and every tape!
• Alternative wrestler biographies!
• Exclusive artwork by Bob Dahlstrom!
• The 37th Annual Volume 2 Awards!
• Star ratings for every single match!
• Plus much, much more!

"Very comprehensive and a genuinely useful reference guide." - John Lister (Fighting Spirit, Turning the Tables)

"An incredible resource for our generation of wrestling fans." - Blake Norton (WOW Magazine, The Bagpipe Report)

"A lot of good information here…a fine research resource…fascinatingly nostalgic.” - Brian Elliot (Fighting Spirit Magazine)

Kindle from Amazon (worldwide link) - http://getBook.at/WWFGuide2

is David Shoemaker/The Masked Man's book "The Squared Circle" any good? I'm trying to get a hold of books that are past 300+ pages, so it's worth the time for me to actually read it.

It depends on how you feel about his columns. It's just a bigger feel, with a lot of columns put into the book.

On the plus side, the book did rein him in a bit- he didn't mention CM Punk's Pipebomb for nearly 180 pages. That's over half the book, instead of "tie in whatever's going on at this moment, or the history, to that one promo and claim it's a new era".like his Grantland work.

Forgot to throw this in here, on special offer until late Sunday and our last special offer for a while (if you're buying any of stuff from Lulu, use the code #decktheshelf to get 30% off):

8432994.jpg?424

Volume 3 is now on special offer until December 15th, just $1.61 / £0.99 for the Kindle version from Amazon, and it's the last special offer we'll be running for a while.

COVERED IN DEPTH:

• Every WWF VHS release from July 1993 - June 1996!

• The ascension of Steve Austin!

• The death and rebirth of The Undertaker!

• The return of The Ultimate Warrior!

• The rise of the Kliq!

•  The aborted push of the next American hero!

• The collapse of the tag team division!

• The Hart brothers tear their family apart!

• The inaugural WWF Divas!

• The wrestler who was half-man/half-bull!

• The worst WrestleMania ever!

• IRS STILL chinlocking everyone to sleep!

STARRING:

• Bret Hart!

• Shawn Michaels!

• The Undertaker!

• Lex Luger!

• Owen Hart!

• Davey Boy Smith!

• Razor Ramon!

• Diesel!

• Yokozuna!

• Mantaur!

PLUS:

• Full reviews of each and every tape!

• Alternative wrestler biographies!

• Exclusive artwork by Bob Dahlstrom!

• The 37th Annual Volume 3 Awards!

• Star ratings for every single match!

• Plus much, much more!

• Like 1

Haha, that was the intention! Get the best guys we could to make up two teams. Shawn was split down the middle for time spent as a heel and face during the era the book covers, but the babyface side was pretty top heavy so in with Camp Cornette he went.

The back cover has some "co-captains", although the guy who laid it out didn't put the right teams against each other like we intended. I think we had Savage & Perfect vs. Lawler & Austin, 123 Kid & Jannetty vs. Goldust & Mankind, Ahmed & Crush vs. Gonzalez & Borga, and Adam Bomb & Doink vs. Mantaur & Bastion Booger. I'll post it if I can figure out how to make it smaller. Volume 5 is going to have a King of the Ring theme so the back cover will have a tournament bracket based on actual matches in the book, covering the post-Russo/pre-WWE years (1999-2002).

So i'm reading Harley Race's book on the Google Books limited preview (and thus read about his 5 week cycle of steroid usage with the Bulldogs, and his problems with the 7 abdominal surgeries in 1988/1989. And his short-lived attempt to promote pro wrestling in Bolivia (which didn't go past a taped promo).

Reading parts of recent-ish books through the preview is one way to spend a 1am