DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

19 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I can honestly say that the insights into booking from Gary Hart's book helped me out a LOT in the business in the past few years.

I feel like between reading Hart's and Dillon's books (plus the insights that JJ gave into Eddie Graham's booking style), I could be a somewhat competent booker. Those guys knew their shit.

The one thing I really loved was JJ talking about how if a heel attacked a face, Graham would make up a logical reason why the face's friends wouldn't be there to save him. Like he had a face who was a friend of Jack Brisco get attacked later in the show. To explain Jack's absence, Jack wrestled earlier and did an interview after. The interviewer said something like, "oh I know we have to make this quick b/c you have to visit the children's hospital but can I get your thoughts on (insert issue here)?" Just a quick throwaway line like that and the fans weren't wondering where he was when his friend was getting his ass kicked later. Contrast that with Cena where we're all wondering, "where the fuck is Mr. Hustle, Loyalty and Respect when Kane is throwing his wheelchair bound friend Zack Ryder off the stage?"

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Victator said:

As wresting becomes more open the writing gets worse.

I would *love* to sit in on a WWE writers' meeting one of these days as they pitch ideas, just to see how long I could go without screaming out an expletive.

The wrestling books I really enjoy are those that really get me into the mindset of the person - I don't care about the whats so much as the whys.  Foley's book, Bret's book, Gary Hart's book, many others get this, but many others don't.

• Like 4

On 9/9/2013 at 7:28 PM, Tromatagon said:
On 9/9/2013 at 0:06 PM, Lazlo Woodbine said:

Has anyone read Adnan Al Khaissie's book? Knowing a little about his life I assume it could be interesting, but is it a good read?

I heard it is full of bullshit

i bought it and read it. it is awesome. some stuff might seem like lies but i managed to validate it through research. the book says the truth,even if it at first might seem too unbelievable sometimes

also,LOVE Gary's book!i have TONS of respect for him after reading it. He was a manager's manager and a booker's booker :')

16 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I would *love* to sit in on a WWE writers' meeting one of these days as they pitch ideas, just to see how long I could go without screaming out an expletive.

The wrestling books I really enjoy are those that really get me into the mindset of the person - I don't care about the whats so much as the whys.  Foley's book, Bret's book, Gary Hart's book, many others get this, but many others don't.

That's one reason I found Patterson's book so disappointing. I just didn't feel like I was reading something that Pat Patterson wrote b/c it was very superficial. Which is sad b/c he could have such a great story to tell.

On 10/7/2014 at 9:36 PM, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

I just finished the Ole Anderson book at it was self-serving with many glaring omissions.  Seriously, imagine reading a whole book about the life and career of Ole Anderson and not getting a single sentence about the Four Horsemen stable and associated angles?  There might have been two sentences mentioning Arn Anderson, and one of those sentences was a throwaway noting that he was Matt Bourne's tag team partner on a night Bourne was hammered on drugs.  Ole is as bitter as a bucket of lye, to take the book at face value you'd think the only workers of any note during his career were Jack Brisco, the Funks, Stan Hansen, and, of course, Ole Anderson.  Even Ric Flair and Barry Windham get sneered at.  Vader gets no credit as a worker.  Harley Race gets grudging respect but only as someone who could work a good match when he wanted to but never wanted to.

HIGHLY Disagree with these.it was one of the best autobiographies i ever read. he is as brutally honest in it as bob holly is in his,and it is very informative and interesting. only thing i didnt like is him not talking about the 4 horsemen at alol,but the reason,as he explained in shoot interviews,is that he loaths that stable and regrets ever being a part of it as he believes that it was "all show business".

EDIT:

"An interesting new book that will go behind-the-scenes of WWE is set to be released in 2015.

"Nude and Rude: The Naked Endeavors of WWE Superstars" will be hit store shelves in February. The book, written by a former WWE employee under the pseudonym "John Dough", will, according to publishing company ECW Press, "take the audience on a journey into what the WWE superstars do when their clothes are off and nobody is watching".

Upon reading the press release, we contacted the publishing company to get more information. They sent us the following e-mail:

"You need not worry about our "Nude and Rude: The Naked Endeavors of WWE Superstars" book. This will not be an expose on wrestling or wrestlers. The book will not be about the sexual activity of WWE stars, merely the funny moments that happen in and out of the locker room while the wrestlers are undressed.

For example, the writer tells a story in which a wrestler placed a pair of "googly eyes" on his buttocks and then proceeded to shake, much to the amusement of the guys in the locker room. Another story features a wrestler who fell asleep in the shower while other wrestlers showered with him still lying there. Still another talks about a female wrestler who flashed a celebrity guest moments before he was to enter the arena.

These are the kinds of stories you'll find in the upcoming book. The wrestlers will be named, but we feel there is nothing for them to feel ashamed of. The stories are all innocent fun that happen to involve nudity. The intent is not to ruin careers or cause scandals."

Upon our asking, they also confirmed that the author proved to them, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he is is indeed a former WWE employee. For his own protection, they wouldn't reveal his name or even his role within WWE, as the subject matter will undoubtedly make him very unpopular with his peers.

It should be noted that while ECW Press has published a number of wrestling books, the initials in its name are purely coincidental."

WTH Happened to this book lol? sounds incredible XD

• 4 weeks later...

Read YES! recently and it was enjoyable. The ending is doubly sad: first, for the afterward about his dad passing, which was very touching; and second, the "hindsight being 20/20" angle where Bryan says he'll probably retire when he either has two kids or physically can't go anymore. You mean, less than a year after this book was written? :(

On 12/30/2016 at 2:40 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

I can honestly say that the insights into booking from Gary Hart's book helped me out a LOT in the business in the past few years.

I Just finished Gary Hart's book. It was a great and insightful read! Definitely interesting hearing about the business from a bookers stand point. 

• Like 1

Checking Amazon, some interesting future releases:

61uO5Gtq4QL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Second Nature: The Legacy of Ric Flair and the Rise of Charlotte

For the first time ever, WWE’s illustrious father-daughter duo “Nature Boy” Ric Flair and Charlotte come together to tell their legendary story.

Ric Flair is a 16-time World Champion and two-time WWE Hall of Fame Inductee. His four-decades long career is recognized as one of the greatest of all time, but with success comes a price. Despite his effortless brilliance in front of the cameras, his life away from the cameras includes personal struggles, controversy and family tragedy. Through his bond with Charlotte, he’s becoming the father he needs to be while rediscovering the legend he has always been.

Charlotte grew up in the shadow of her famous father, "the dirtiest player in the game," but now she is poised to take the Flair name to new heights. As the inaugural WWE Women's Champion, Charlotte has had an impressive career, and she's just getting started. With the (dare we say it) flair of the “Nature Boy” running through her blood, Charlotte is destined for greatness. Find out how she embraced her heritage and battled her own challenges through her rise to the top of WWE.

For these two Champions, sports entertainment is simply SECOND NATURE.

51ZTOj+X53L.jpg

Wake Up!: It's Feeding Time: A Professional Athlete's Advice on How to Succeed in the Game of Life

Ryback, also known as "The Big Guy", may seem like he has it all - success as a professional athlete, health, money, and a physique to envy. But in Wake Up, It's Feeding Time he reveals that he hasn't always been so successful; he had to earn it.

The key to his success - and yours too, if you heed his advice - is to "believe in yourself, even when nobody else does", set smart goals and work toward achieving them.

In this inspirational book, Ryback hands out gem after gem of useful life lessons, and shows you how you too can take charge and live the life of your dreams.

A Surprising and Unique Self Improvement Book

If you thought WWE wrestlers were all brawn and no brains, you'll be amazed as you turn each page of Wake Up, It's Feeding Time. Ryback shares with you an incredible number of practical things you can do to improve your life.

From nutrition and fitness tips, to financial advice and how to stay focused, he covers it all. He gives you some of his favorite motivational quotes that inspire him to do his best, work hard, and overcome his challenges. He even shares valuable insights for how to forgive, how to love, and how to be your best in every way.

There's something for everybody in this book. Teens to grandmas will find motivation and inspiration in the words Ryback shares.

51TeE7IQ+RL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Crazy Is My Superpower: How I Triumphed by Breaking Bones, Breaking Hearts, and Breaking the Rules

Recently retired WWE superstar AJ Brooks is a powerhouse – strong, quirky, and totally confident. But that wasn’t always the case. Growing up, AJ was a quiet girl trying to act “normal” when she felt anything but. As her family struggled with drug addiction, poverty, and mental illness, she found escape through comic books and video games, inspired by the tough and unconventional female characters. It wasn’t until she discovered the WWE that she learned superheroes could be real.

Determined to become the superhero she’d always needed, AJ trained and sacrificed for years to finally achieve her dream. Yet, she quickly faced industry pressure to play the role of the damsel in distress and dress more provocatively to cater to male fans. But she fought back and created an ass-kicking alter ego that was a genuine representation of herself: nerdy, enthusiastic, and a little bit crazy.

With humor and tremendous heart, AJ opens up for the first time about her harrowing struggle to understand her demons and gain control over her life. What most people view as a hardship, AJ embraced as inspiration for her superhero persona.

Charting her journey from a scrappy girl in an unstable home to empowered WWE champion, Crazy Is My Superpower is an unflinchingly honest and bravely confessional story about the long road to self-acceptance.

51GxKgDPc7L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Best Seat in the House: Your Backstage Pass through My WWE Journey

If you ever wondered what it is like to be a giant wrestling fan and work at WWE under Vince McMahon and travel the world with co-workers who have been the stars of pro wrestling from the 90s through today, this is the book for you. This is the story of a passionate professional wrestling fan who wanted nothing more than to be the ring announcer for World Wrestling Entertainment. Best Seat in the House covers Justin Roberts ambitious journey to becoming the full time ring announcer at WWE- traveling on the road with the wrestlers and announcing all over the world for the weekly live events, TV shows and monthly pay-per-views for over a decade. Wrestling fans always want to know how he got his job, and this book discusses the path he took to get there, the people he met along the way and the experiences that helped shape his character. From his WWE tryout to his final night on the big stage, Justin gives you an in-depth look at his journey to catch and live the job of his dreams. From playing with action figures of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan to actually announcing them to the ring Justin truly lived out his dream. Apart from announcing the top wrestlers in the industry from Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock to John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Ric Flair and The Undertaker, Justin also describes the politics, travel requirements of WWE talent and the overall treatment from the monopoly that drives the wrestling industry. There were so many ups, but also so many downs, and this title is the backstage pass for those who have always wondered what it would be like as a wrestling fan to actually get to work at the Disneyland of wrestling. With no hopes or interest to return to WWE, Justin is completely honest in sharing his story. This is a rare and extraordinary look from within, at the worldwide phenomenon that's more than just scripted ballet and spandex. This is the inside story of working with individuals who are hardworking athletes and real-life superheroes to all ages, genders, and ethnicities around the world.

And last but not least....PETE GAS

51zvoiqjNBL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How did an untrained former college football player end up in the middle of a ring, wrestling during the highest-rated segment during the WWE’s acclaimed Attitude Era?

That’s the story behind Looking at the Lights. As a childhood friend of Shane McMahon, Pete Gas was given the opportunity most only pray for. Beginning with appearances to interfere in McMahon’s matches, his role blossomed into becoming a full-fledge wrestler and leading the Mean Street Posse to WrestleMania, becoming one of the most fascinating success stories of the era.

From his humble upbringing and friendship with Shane (and the McMahon family as a whole), Gas shares how a 9-to-5 average Joe got the chance of a lifetime and made the most out of it.

But getting your foot in the door is one thing; staying is a completely different animal. With all eyes on him, knowing his lack of training and meal ticket being the boss’s son, Gas knew he had to win over all those doubters: from the fans and announcers to the wrestlers themselves.

Knowing he had to prove himself, Gas took beatings, chair shots, and additional training to not only show that he could wrestle, but that he belonged with such superstars as The Rock, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, and The Undertaker.

Featuring forewords by Edge and JBL, who famously nailed Gas in the head with a steel chair, readers will get an inside look into not only the training and sacrifice these athletes go through, but the behind-the-scenes workings of a day in the WWE.

I want AJ's book.

Otherwise, I can't believe we live in a world where those all get published. Remember we back in Foley is Good when Mick talked about how publishers didn't think wrestling fans read?

Of course WWE isn't publishing any of those, the only listing they had was a book about the New Day scheduled to come out in October. I kinda want to look at Pete Gas' just for the sheer curiosity of what he could write something book-length about, and the forewords. Also "Ryback Reeves" is one of the most hilarious names I've seen put on a book.