DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

• 2 weeks later...

The Bryan book is very good so far. For a guy who's so overwhelmingly obsessed with wrestling he seems to have a pretty keen, easygoing ability to identify the things about it that are comical and ridiculous; it's a pretty funny read. It may just be that being friends with Brian Kendrick is an intrinsically hiilarious lifestyle though. 100 pages in and it's already had Kendrick happily wrestling his first match in charity shop pyjamas with Genie in a Bottle by xtina as his entrance music, AND having a disgusted Nick Bockwinkel walk in on him while he was giving a terrified indie wrestler an unsolicited demonstration of how to autofellate

Not such a big fan of the overwritten wrestlemania diary bits interspersed with it, it very much reads like the ghostwriter is some weird superfan of Bri and Bryan's marriage and likely exploited the assignment to surreptitiouslly accumulate a collection of her fingernails and hair

• 4 weeks later...

If I was to buy one of Adrian Street's books, which one is the best? I'm looking at "Violence is Golden" as it seems to focus on his arrival in the US and early days in the territories. Anyone know what chronological order they fall into and what book covers what territories?

Reading reviews on Amazon this would appear to be them in order:

My Pink Gas Mask

I Only Laugh When It Hurts

So Many Ways To Hurt You

Sadist in Sequins

Imagine What I Could Do To You

Violence is Golden

But it would appear that Violence in Golden stops in the middle of his US career so presumably there is at least one more book to come.

If i can selfishly expand books to include magazines ...

5e10560336ccae071780e0a1c081f8d9_zpsun55

Odessa Steps Magazine is pleased to announce publication of issue five of the magazine, with a spotlight on Lucha Libre. The issue will be publicly debuting with magazine associates in Mexico for the CMLL 82nd Anniversary show. The new issue contains the following:

· Interviews with luchadors Rey Hechicero, and Marco Corleone and luchadora Zeuxis.

· A detailed breakdown of the August 16 2015 Chilanga Mask. We ask: was it the Show of the Year in Mexico?

· A poignant look at the generation of luchadors from the 1980s nearing the twilight of their careers, as personified by Atlantis in the Anniversary Show main event.

· A preview of the mascara contra mascara showdown between Atlantis and La Sombra

· A look at the ageless Negro Casas (reprint from 2014 with updates)

· Examining the role of lucha libre in the Award-winning comic book Love and Rockets by Los Hernandez Bros

· A tribute to friend of lucha libre Eric Caiden, owner of Hollywood Book and Poster, who passed away in May 2015.

· Cover by Mexican cartoonist Kcidis

· Inside back cover by comic book artist Rhode Montijo

· Photos courtesy of Black Terry Jr

Odessa Steps Magazine issue 5 is a 20 page magazine, with color covers and black & white interiors.

The final chapter of the book discusses Backlund's personal ideas and values. Called the "Eighteen Principles of Healthy Living", it is a summary of the author's personal philosophy. Backlund stresses the need to maintain both physical discipline (healthy diet, regular exercise, proper sleep) and traditional values (respect for others, positive mental attitude, health self-esteem, reliability, honesty, self-reliance, hard work, fiscal responsibility, devotion to all pursuits). These beliefs are repeated throughout the book and are the values Backlund has always been known for. 

Heh. This should be interesting.

If I was to buy one of Adrian Street's books, which one is the best? I'm looking at "Violence is Golden" as it seems to focus on his arrival in the US and early days in the territories. Anyone know what chronological order they fall into and what book covers what territories?

Reading reviews on Amazon this would appear to be them in order:

My Pink Gas Mask

I Only Laugh When It Hurts

So Many Ways To Hurt You

Sadist in Sequins

Imagine What I Could Do To You

Violence is Golden

But it would appear that Violence in Golden stops in the middle of his US career so presumably there is at least one more book to come.

On eBay, you can get all the books as a bundle, autographed even - that's really the way to go. At first I was put off at the slow pace of the early books, as I couldn't wait for thee Exotic One to get to the USA. However, I really liked getting all the background, flavor and details of his life leading up to that point. If need be, get that final one and if you dig it, go back and get the set. Your series order is correct. Totally unique and fabulous.

- RAF

I bought "Violence is Golden". It's good but not very long. Adrian has a HUGE ego. Doesn't like Lucha, or Lawler, or Dusty Rhodes or JJ Dillon. The part of the book I've got to has loads of articles from wrestling magazines just in their entirety. Not that they aren't interesting to read but it seems like filler. I can't figure out how they possibly got 5 books out of his career before he even went to the US.