DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

You know Scott? He used to post on WC and OLC, but haven't heard from him in many moons. He's a good man.

Yep. I work with him and go to local shows with him and his kid. He's busy working on Jim Ross's book right now, then he's got another one lined up that isn't 100% finalized with the publisher yet. But it's gonna be a must-read.

How many of the autobiographies have had audio book versions, read by the wrestlers? The only one I know about is Foley's first book, and the CD version was unfortunately abridged iirc and Foley didn't quite sound like he was confident enough during the reading to really knock it out of the park. Considering the number of books that have been written by guys who are known for being dynamite talkers, it'd be a shame if few-to-none of them ever did audio versions of their own biographies.

Jim Ross and Pat Patterson books are in the works? Oh gimme a hell yeah! That's the best-ever announcer and the best-ever match caller, hopefully their books are chock-full of great psychology and theory. Can't wait, those are the guys everyone could learn the most from in terms of Telling A Story in the ring.

I'm reading the WWE's official Heavyweight Title History book that just came out recently. It's not too bad, like all WWE books it's got a ton of great photos and access to everyone in the world for some good quotes. Problem is, the whole damn thing is written in kayfabe. Not insult-your-intelligence kayfabe, there's plenty of "read between the lines" moments where they kinda shoot about title switches done for business reasons, but the language is always so carefully guarded that it grated on me a bit. Not quite enough content for my taste either, the book's thick enough but the chapters are all really short and that's cheating to bump up the page count, since like half the pages in the book consist of one paragraph and a buncha white space.

Bill Watts smokes weed? Really? Color me surprised. That sounds like one of the few things him and Gary Hart would have in common.

Ditto. Watts is so conservative, so loudly anti-drug, that I'm mildly shocked that apparently he goes all RVD when it comes to ye mary jane.  

Shawn Michaels is coming to the Pittsburgh area next week for a book signing at a Family Christian store and I'm thinking of going.  The problem is I probably have to buy a book and I have zero interest in it.  I don't usually go to auto signing but Shawn is a guy I would still mark out for.  I guess I could review the book or something.

Posted this in the general thread by accident. In response to Jingus:

Austin's Stone Cold Truth got the audiobook treatment with Steve reading an abridged version. I didn't think much of it. But, yeah, there is a definite lack of audiobooks read by rasslers. The guy who did Jericho's latest book was botching pronunciations at a decent clip. Jim Ross and Dusty could and should change that.

Posted this in the general thread by accident. In response to Jingus:

Austin's Stone Cold Truth got the audiobook treatment with Steve reading an abridged version. I didn't think much of it. But, yeah, there is a definite lack of audiobooks read by rasslers. The guy who did Jericho's latest book was botching pronunciations at a decent clip. Jim Ross and Dusty could and should change that.

Fucking hell, I'LL DO IT.  Former announcer, remember?  Just point me in the right direction and I'll talk your ass off.  Er, but, it'll sound way better in audio than it looks in these few clumsy posts.  

Just noticed that Don Fargo's The Hard Way is finally out on Kindle. Bought it immediately, been looking forward to reading it for a while. Usually buy the physical copies of Crowbar Press's books but the postage from the US has got ridiculous lately.

DonFargo-TheHardWay_zps2ccd794d.gif

The Fargo book is... quite interesting. Definitely a good read, but it's far more revealing of himself and his unique place in the business than of 'rassling as a whole. Please let us know what you think. Still, it's a good snapshot of the old territory days (which I love to read about).

- RAF

p.s. - I gotta shill again for thee Exotic Adrian Street autobio series: half price, autographed, on eBay!

• Like 1

I would pay good money for a Dusty Rhodes autobiography with an audio book version... As read by Dusty Rhodes.

How much good money?

All.  All the good money.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if Hornbaker's Capitol book is still set for a release tomorrow?

EDIT:Yup, it came out today, at least via the Kindle Store.

I got it via Oyster and I'm digging it a lot. If you liked his NWA book you'll like this one too... just get ready to be very confused by the various title lineages.

Anyone know if Hornbaker's Capitol book is still set for a release tomorrow?

EDIT:Yup, it came out today, at least via the Kindle Store.

I got it via Oyster and I'm digging it a lot. If you liked his NWA book you'll like this one too... just get ready to be very confused by the various title lineages.

I finished it the other day, quite good, but I feel there needs to be a disclaimer for others if you're interested in reading it:

If you wanting to hear about Vince's purchase of the company and it's rise to power, skip it. The book barely touches on the ending days of Vince Sr.'s time before Vince Jr. buys it. If you're wanting to know about NWA and WWWF/WWF history going back to the turn of the century up until the early 1970's, by all means get this book. I knew it was going to focus more on that time period, but I didn't realize it was going to be that bottom heavy (90% pre-1975, 10% post-1975)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working my way through the Adrian Street books, and only have 1-4. So far the Rev doesn't steer us wrong-- they are really good.

Has anyone read the new one? It looks like it covers his days wrestling in the U.S.