DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

I just saw Foxcatcher, does anyone know what the best book on Dave Schultz is?  Is Mark's book a good one?  Did Meltzer do a write-up on the movie recently, btw?

He didnt do a review, per se, but did discuss it a few weeks ago in the observer.

Basically, thought the actors were great, but the movie was slow.

• Like 1

I agree completely with Street's books.  I've read two of them, and his story about "Busty Rose the American Queen" had me in stitches.

If anybody's interested in checking them out, he's also selling them through his Ebay store under seller name rupetbear for half price -$12.50 and he'll sign them for free as well.

I'd seen Gary Hart's unbelievably matter-of-fact description of the fatal Magic Dragon SAA-295 crash quoted in this thread earlier, but when I got to that bit of the book in context I was still sitting there slack jawed just going like "but...y...uh..." for five minutes

the next chapter being like ANYWAY,  IT WOULD BE AWESOME TO HAVE A CHRISTMAS SUPERCARD AT THE REUNION ARENA coming along hot on the heels of that bombshell in the manner of Goldust in the 2015 Rumble

• Like 1

From the WON obit of Robley:

"Robley, an old-time carny character like out of a 50s movie, was very close with Bruiser Brody, and would book him to promoters around the world. Other said Robley used his friendship with Brody to get booking jobs, but Brody always praised Robley as having great street smarts, great ideas, until he had success and ended up loaded, and he was somebody you could learn from. When Brody was murdered, Robley got messed up, grabbed a gun and had to be talked out of flying to Puerto Rico to try and kill Jose Gonzalez."

The book certainly never gave you that impression.

His first book was ok, glossed over a lot of things.  Felt very ghostwritten, if you know what I mean.  Lots of Jesus stuff in that one too.  I'm not religious myself but it generally doesn't bother me unless it's super over the top.  He is really pushing the faith aspect of the new book so it's probably pretty heavy on his christianity.

On that note, how is Bill Watts' book for the hamfisted Christianity stuff? The title has me leery of giving it a shot, even if I'm very interested in Watts otherwise.

It's a mixed bag. 33% is him talking about how he beat people up via Steven Segal-esce methods like breaking arms and removing eyeballs, 33% is him preaching, and the other 33% is him talking about how he likes weed.

• Like 1

On that note, how is Bill Watts' book for the hamfisted Christianity stuff? The title has me leery of giving it a shot, even if I'm very interested in Watts otherwise.

I haven't read it yet, but one of my best friends is the cowriter. I've resisted reading it because I'm an atheist, but Scott told me he structured the book in such a way that the religious stuff is seperated by chapter and paragraph breaks so that anyone who isn't interested in that stuff can skip it and not miss the narrative.

I haven't read it yet, but one of my best friends is the cowriter. I've resisted reading it because I'm an atheist, but Scott told me he structured the book in such a way that the religious stuff is seperated by chapter and paragraph breaks so that anyone who isn't interested in that stuff can skip it and not miss the narrative.

I can confirm this is true, there are entire sections you can skip over for this.

It's a mixed bag. 33% is him talking about how he beat people up via Steven Segal-esce methods like breaking arms and removing eyeballs, 33% is him preaching, and the other 33% is him talking about how he likes weed.

Going purely off of that statement, Bill Watts sounds like one of the coolest guys around.

I'm not sure if I'd read the religious chapters of Shawn's book to say I read it, but it does intrigue me.  I have an Amazon gift card to use so I might as well pick that up.

And Meltzer confirmed Patterson is writing an autobiography.  I'm not big on reading about historical wrestling, but I'd be very interested to read that Pat would say in his book.

Pat's book is gonna be awesome no matter what, but it'd be even better if they wrote it in Pat-Speak with all the French-Canadian grammatical errors.

"I remember that moment, the crowd went BANANA!"

This would be trememndous and award-winning if that happened.

• Like 2

You know Scott? He used to post on WC and OLC, but haven't heard from him in many moons. He's a good man.

The Watts book is definitely worth a read. Tons of great information in there, even if you skip over the religious stuff.