DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

I thought the "two plane crashes" thing with Cornette was because both Gary and Ric had been in one apiece.

Well, yes and no. In the published version he added something like "If only he knew that I'd already been in two."

Could be something weird he decided to make up, but it's a really weird thing to make up.

It rates well with them. It's a bit more of a high level look/history. That's not to say it's not personal because it is, but each chapter (and there are many) will generally swoop in, give an overview of what was going on, explain Gary's thoughts on it, and give a couple of stories. I'd say that Mick and Bret cover more familiar ground in a much more in depth way, while Hart covers things that most people generally know a lot less about but there's less time to go over everything because there's just so much.

• Like 1

I'd like to check out the Gary Hart book too. For those who've read it, how does it rate in comparison to the likes of Cactus first book and Bret's in terms of best wrestling books?.

Matt D's description is pretty accurate. If you read and liked the JJ Dillon book, you should enjoy the Gary Hart book. They cover a lot of the same period of the territory system. The difference is JJ was more diplomatic and if you crossed Gary, you might get the business end of a straight razor.

It rates well with them. It's a bit more of a high level look/history. That's not to say it's not personal because it is, but each chapter (and there are many) will generally swoop in, give an overview of what was going on, explain Gary's thoughts on it, and give a couple of stories. I'd say that Mick and Bret cover more familiar ground in a much more in depth way, while Hart covers things that most people generally know a lot less about but there's less time to go over everything because there's just so much.

OK thanks. I'd say Cactus first book is my favorite wrestling book I've read so far, because of the funny stories, like the one where they put biscuit crumbs in DDP's bed and things like that. Y2J's first book (which I forgot to mention) is another favorite, because of the stories too and I find some books which are too detail driven can get bogged down by the facts and they can drag on. Like for example the NWA history book, it's a OK read, but I find it to be a book you can come back to and read in parts rather than a 'can't put down' one like Mick's. But I suppose it depends on the subject matter, the Stampede book is similar in context, but I found that to be an easier read, but I guess it could be down to the author(s) writing style too.

I haven't read JJ's book, but that would also be of interest, as I'm sure he has some great Horsemen stories and also a behind the scenes look at the WWF when he was there. I think I asked this in the questions thread before, but was JJ there at the time when Arn & Tully, Ronnie Garvin, Terry Taylor, Tony Schiavone et al came over and was he instrumental, or have any influence in their moves to the then WWF?.