DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

Savage did do some wacky promo from a gym that was on YouTube where he was playing into the urban legend saying "Ooooh yeah I had her first, Helmsley!"

Technically he said "I'm gonna take Stephanie McMahon and give her a ride around the block" .... Whatever the fuck that means.

http://youtu.be/n0nLzr4EDnQ

I'm pretty sure that this debunks the rumor. 

If Macho Man had been with Stephanie, he definitely would've gloated about it there.

It is disjointed but still a great book to me. Sam's philosophy on wrestling is interesting and the Brody stuff is great. You don't really need to real the Brody book Matysik wrote if you have Wrestling at the Chase. 

I didn't even know Hooker was in print; still never read it.

• Like 2

Finished Stan Hansen's "The Last Outlaw" and like pretty much every other wrestling autobiography co-authored by this Scott Teal fellow, it's a collection of interesting and mundane anecdotes compiled with limited attention paid to narrative flow or chronological consistency.  Hansen has had such a unique career as an established American star who found a home in Japan during a critical and interesting period in the expansion of Japanese wrestling and I'm glad I read through it, but long stretches were a slog.  

I read Schire's MN book, and it was interesting but not essential. Lots of recaps of angles & personality profiles, light on the behind the scenes stuff that I'm interested in.

If you're a longtime fan of the stuff from that area, it might be worth a trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here ever read Fall Guys: The Barnums of Bounce? It was written in the 1937 and details the first 30 or so years of the organized professional wrestling business and the transition from shoot to work. I'm about halfway through it so far and it's incredibly fascinating.

This has all the chapters if anyone's interested.

http://vintagewrestling.wix.com/wrestling-films#!recipes/c3zk

• Like 2

Some more recently and soon to-be released ones:

YRPcgqz.jpg

"For the first time ever, the entire history of the WWE at Madison Square Garden is compiled into one single publication! Including some of the top names in the industry as they speak about their experiences at "The World's Most Famous Arena" including "The Living Legend" Bruno Sammartino, "The Innovator of Violence" Tommy Dreamer, "The Mountie" Jacques Rougeau, Matt Striker, George "The Animal" Steele, Bill Apter, "The Genius" Lanny Poffo, Kevin Kelly, "The Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant, Dr. Tom Prichard, PWInsider.com's Mike Johnson, "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff, Drew McIntyre, J.J. Dillon, and many more! Since 2002, The HistoryofWWE.com has served as the premiere online resource for the in- and out-of-the-ring histories of multiple wrestling companies. Now, for the first time in print, you have access to the thousands of dates, cities and ring results that comprise pro wrestling's past. You can now find the hidden gems, the main events that drew thousands and the ones that only drew flies."

mwpCafX.jpg

"In Wrestling for My Life, WWE superstar Shawn Michaels shares from his heart about the highs and lows of his life inside the WWE. Included are some never-before-shared stories and an intimate look into his career as well as stories of hunting, family, and faith. With millions of fans, Michaels had adulation and all the attention he could ask for, but he discovered there was something more. When he became a committed Christian during his years in the WWE it had to affect everything. Michaels reveals what it is like to be a man of faith in this unusual world and shares insights for all of us."

uDMP4d9.jpg

"For decades, the northeastern part of the United States, better known to insiders as the territory of the Capitol Wrestling Corporation, was considered the heart of the professional wrestling world. Capitol territory — from Boston to Washington, D.C. — enjoyed lucrative box office receipts, and New York’s Madison Square Garden was center stage. Three generations of McMahons have controlled wrestling in that storied building and have since created the most powerful wrestling company the world has ever known.

Capitol Revolution documents the growth and evolution of pro wrestling under the stewardships of the McMahons, highlighting the many trials and tribulations beginning in the early 20th century: clashes with rival promoters, government inquests, and routine problems with the potent National Wrestling Alliance monopoly. In the ring, superstars such as Buddy Rogers and Bruno Sammartino entertained throngs of fans, and Capitol became internationally known for its stellar pool of vibrant performers.

Covering the transition from old-school wrestling, under the WWWF banner, to the pop-cultural juggernaut of the mid- to late-’80s WWF, Tim Hornbaker’s Capitol Revolution is the detailed history of how the McMahons outlasted their opponents and fostered a billion-dollar empire."

4oqRrmf.jpg

"Booker T. Huffman, 2013 WWE Hall of Famer and winner of thirty-five championship titles within WWE, WCW, and TNA, has once again paired up with best-selling coauthor Andrew William Wright to uncover Booker T’s story from his humble pro wrestling beginnings to becoming a global superstar and icon. Booker T: My Rise To Wrestling Royalty is Huffman’s highly anticipated follow-up to the 2012 award-winning Booker T: From Prison To Promise, in which Booker detailed his turbulent coming-of-age on the streets of Houston, Texas.

Revisit two hard-hitting decades with Booker T as he journeys through World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). During this time he blazed a trail of pro wrestling success on a road that took him from his tag team days in Harlem Heat, with brother Stevie Ray (Lash), to his unparalleled singles career that drew millions around the world to WCW’s Monday Nitro, and onward through his unforgettable matches that led to his taking the throne as King Booker and becoming the FIVE-TIME, FIVE-TIME, FIVE-TIME, FIVE-TIME, FIVE-TIME (and eventually six-time) world heavyweight champion."

I'm passing on the first two (with severe prejudice toward the second one), undecided on the third and definitely getting the fourth.

I have the biographies of J.J. Dillon (Wrestlers Are Like Seagulls), Jody Hamilton (Assassin: The Man Behind The Mask), Lou Thesz (Hooker) and Gary Hart (Playboy Gary Hart).

I want to make some drastic cuts in my library and have decided that I don't need these books anymore. I thought the good people of DVDVR might enjoy them. I'm not looking to make money or get anything in return for them, although it would be nice if, when someone has finished their copy, they pass it on to the next interested person. Of course, once I have sent the books, that is no longer in my hands, but I believe in the camaraderie of this rather dysfunctional but ultimately kind message board.

So if you're interested, send me a PM with the title of the book you want (let's keep it at one book per person) and your address and I'll send it in one of the coming weeks -- and if the book is already promised to someone else, I'll let you know as well. Keep in mind that I only have one copy of Gary Hart's biography, so I'm going to have to disappoint a lot of people as it's apparently so highly sought after.

• Like 1

Roman's post makes me wonder if there's enough interest in a general DVDVR wrestling book exchange/sharing network type thing? I know I've got a few I've got no special attachment to, albeit they tend to be fairly common ones (e.g. Jericho's newest, Death of WCW, etc.)