DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

The fact that the NWA still "exists" is the most carny thing ever. 

The fact that Ricky Morton still wrestles in high school gyms and is better than 99% of the dudes on the rest of the card is carny as fuck. And I mean that as a compliment. I saw him in Waynesboro, VA a couple of years ago and he's still got it.

Isn't he the current NWA cruiserweight champion or something?

For that matter, I don't think I could name you ANY of the current NWA champions with absolute certainty.

The only reason I can name a few is because the NWA is still big in this area. Current NWA North American champ is Tim Storm and NWA Southern Heritage Champ is John Saxon,I think Barbi Hayden is still the Women's champ.

Does any person/organization actually own the rights to use "NWA" in reference to a wrestling promotion, or is it an acronym that just about anyone can use?

It is a an organization that feds can pay to be a member of. Supposedly last summer somethings changed. Cause 2 feds I know of joined up after saying for a few years they would never be part of the NWA.

I'm trying that Titan 1995 book, and I want to like it, but it has so many factual and chronological errors that it's hard for me to take it seriously.  I'm not talking small things, but just things in general that could've been corrected with one Google search.  

I'm not too far in it, but I don't understand why the author devoted nearly an entire chapter to the Randy Savage/Steph McMahon rumors. You can argue whether or not it's even worth mentioning, but nearly an entire chapter?

• Like 1

51AddDyRGKL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

Wow, I really did not care for this one. It's not that there wasn't anything inherently wrong with it, it was just...boring. If you're looking for tips on how to be a good ref and/or work with the office it's a good read, if you're looking for dirt or entertaining stories from the road, shy away. He does make reference to a second book several times, though.

Wasn't he the guy who got fired from WWE because he was posting inside info on an internet message board?

His spin on that angle is pretty funny, he was just giving an honest interview to someone that asked! His defense is that everyone had just assumed he had signed a contract with The E but he was only hired to work a few tv tapings, that there was nothing to be fired from. Apparently the fallout came to a hilt on an episode of ECW with a terrible match between Shannon Moore and another wrestler I can't remember, with him not used to working with an earpiece and calling matches on the fly. Also most people avoided him like the plague backstage.

I'm trying that Titan 1995 book, and I want to like it, but it has so many factual and chronological errors that it's hard for me to take it seriously.  I'm not talking small things, but just things in general that could've been corrected with one Google search.  

I'm not too far in it, but I don't understand why the author devoted nearly an entire chapter to the Randy Savage/Steph McMahon rumors. You can argue whether or not it's even worth mentioning, but nearly an entire chapter?

It's actually REALLY creepy how long the book spends basically trying to frame the Savage-Stephanie rumor as the only possible reason Vince never brought Savage back.  Apparently, if it's the only reason you can come up with, it has to be the truth.

And it's not even from the right calendar year.  The book's supposed to be about 1995!

Also, it's really obvious who/what he's using as sources when every single story has quotes from Bob Holly.

• Like 1

I'm about halfway through Jericho's new book at the library and I'm enjoying it more than the last one. I remember the Steamboat match on Raw and completely forgot about it after all these years. Suit Jericho sure did get some good heat; the D battery thrown and Taker telling him to get back in the ring after was hilarious. I'm surprised at the leniency Vince has in coming up with finishes because you think he'd be all over that.

I'm currently reading Ole Anderson's book. People can talk about CM Punk and ECW era Taz being real-life miserable jackasses in real life but Ole takes the cake. His book is really interesting b/c he definitely doesn't pull any punches and gives absolutely zero fucks what anyone thinks of him but he sounds like a complete jerk-off who only lived to fuck with other people.

• Like 1

It's actually REALLY creepy how long the book spends basically trying to frame the Savage-Stephanie rumor as the only possible reason Vince never brought Savage back.  Apparently, if it's the only reason you can come up with, it has to be the truth.

And it's not even from the right calendar year.  The book's supposed to be about 1995!

Also, it's really obvious who/what he's using as sources when every single story has quotes from Bob Holly.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

What is the basis for this rumor anyway? Other than Meltzer, I've never seen anyone of real notoriety give it any credence. You'd think that SOMEONE would've come out and been like "Yeah, I saw them together."

first I ever heard of it was in the sleaze thread. It blew up from there over the years to the point that people seem to have willed it into being the truth. Go figure

Lanny says in the new Savage doc that Nacho Man was part of it and Trips burying him on the mic in 2002ish. Randy was kind of edgy and seemed to take stuff very personally from most if not all accounts, so it could be something that petty.  Or not.