DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

I'm about 70% through JJ Dillon's book and it's really good. Actually doesn't talk much about his time with the Horsemen as it's really heavy on his earlier career as a wrestler. There are some interesting stories about his time working in the offices and booking JCP/WWF/WCW.

Could you please let me know how wrestlers are like seagulls?  I often wonder it but am too cheap or lazy to read the book.

Because all they do is eat, shit and squawk all day.

• Like 2

The Don Fargo book was good, a fun detailed but not too deep autobiography from a worker who was here, there and all over. I am a sucker for reading about the journeymen, carpenters and ring generals of the territory era. I had forgotten about DF jobbing on PWUSA/AWA TV from Las Vegas covered in biker and swastika tattoos, that was mind-blowing. He is quite disingenuous about his KKK & biker doings but brutally honest in other areas. He obviously has an immense charisma that has both permitted him to get away with much shenanigans and prevented him from learning to take  responsibility for his uncivilized behavior. Although he says he never realized it at first, he is an exemplar of a redneck/hick/poorwhitetrash self-educated man who was born to be a rassler. The books reads well for the most part, it being dictated informally (since he is 100% illiterate) to co-author Scott Teal (J M Kenyon supplies the historical veracity). Some versions of events are quite different than the ones I have heard from other vets, but this certainly is a warts-and-all tell all. Lotsa good photos, but several glaring errata and editorial glitches. A worthy purchase.

- RAF

Re: pre-'90s history

The NWA book is dry as all get out but as a historical work it's priceless. Same for the Stampede book except it's the exact opposite of clinical and boring. The Wrestling At The Chase book is a great addition in all respects, and as far as autobios go the Bobby Heenan book is one of the most entertaining and detailed I've read. Those four cover most all the ground you can ask for and if you add the Gary Hart and Terry Funk autobios for the Texas and international coverage, then there you go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, this thread's not dead.  My apologies for insinuating it was so.

As I noted in the omnibus thread, if you have the first edition of Death of WCW, DO NOT bother with the "10th anniversary edition".

The "new content" boils down to a few added quotes from Mikey Whipwreck, Lance Storm, and a few others, most of which were gleaned from blog posts and shoot interviews.  

On top of that, tons of errors in the first edition STILL haven't been fixed in this one, including factual errors.  Including spending pages bitching about WCW's handling of luchadores, then mislabeling La Parka as Psicosis in a caption.

Even worse, the hyped up "epilogue" is literally pages of a list of TNA fuckups stolen directly from the LOLTNA History page, some verbatim.  Absolutely pathetic and nothing but a money grab.

It does hold the distinction of being the first Kindle book I've ever returned for a refund.  I'm so annoyed by the cash grab done here that I'd return the first edition as well if I could.

• Like 3

How does one go about returning a Kindle book?

That info is disappointing to know since I just bought it a couple days ago but haven't read much of it yet.

Under Your Account on Amazon.com, go to Manage Your Content and Devices.  Check the box next to the book, then click the icon next to it (...) and select "Return for Refund".

I will say that if you haven't read the first edition, it's probably worth the $10, but if you have the original version, it's a complete waste of time and money.

• Like 1

That info is disappointing to know since I just bought it a couple days ago but haven't read much of it yet.

Under Your Account on Amazon.com, go to Manage Your Content and Devices.  Check the box next to the book, then click the icon next to it (...) and select "Return for Refund".

I will say that if you haven't read the first edition, it's probably worth the $10, but if you have the original version, it's a complete waste of time and money.

That's really disappointing, because I was really looking forward to it, what with all the hype from RD and all.

That's really disappointing, because I was really looking forward to it, what with all the hype from RD and all.

It wouldn't be wrestling without tons of hype having a shiity payoff . . . 

• Like 1

I just finished the Ole Anderson book at it was self-serving with many glaring omissions.  Seriously, imagine reading a whole book about the life and career of Ole Anderson and not getting a single sentence about the Four Horsemen stable and associated angles?  There might have been two sentences mentioning Arn Anderson, and one of those sentences was a throwaway noting that he was Matt Bourne's tag team partner on a night Bourne was hammered on drugs.  Ole is as bitter as a bucket of lye, to take the book at face value you'd think the only workers of any note during his career were Jack Brisco, the Funks, Stan Hansen, and, of course, Ole Anderson.  Even Ric Flair and Barry Windham get sneered at.  Vader gets no credit as a worker.  Harley Race gets grudging respect but only as someone who could work a good match when he wanted to but never wanted to.

Ok, then.  I have the original hard-copy already, so I'm good.  Thanks for the headsup.  I'll buy another book instead.

Surprised that they didn't add much to the 10th anniversary of the Death of WCW book. I like the first book but its kinda written from a smarky perspective and from what I remember reading from the first book, they were basically burying WCW throughout & making those in charge of booking & management look incompetent. Granted some of those in charge of WCW were incompetent as if they weren't, WCW wouldn't have gone out of business. Their business decisions weren't the best either, but none are really worse in what WWE and TNA are currently doing or have done. I would say it was the wrong decision bringing in Russo & Ferrera, but from one perspective, you are hiring the head writers for your main rival who helped beat you in the ratings. It's just that they should have filtered Russo's ideas, moved the main eventers like Hogan, Sting, Lex et al down the card or had them elevate the younger upcoming talents and slimmed down the roster, at one time they had like 70-80 wrestlers under contract and most were paid to sit at home.  I think they could have expanded the book with a lot more behind the scenes details such as the real reason why TNT cancelled WCW, why the Fusinet deal fell apart & if Bischoff was definitely leading a consortium to buy them, why the main eventers had such power, why they focused on trying to run WWE out of business instead of focusing on their own product when they were at the top. Also how the main talent from WCW are doing ten years on and added obituaries for the wrestlers/valets who have passed away since the first edition which they could have sourced from the Observer or had Dave write some new ones.  

RD has been bad about hyping up stuff for a few years now. The website and podcast have went to shit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jericho's newest is out. I read it on my kindle over a couple of nights. Pretty good stuff. A lot more Fozzy than the past books so be prepared for that. This one covers his whole "suit wearing heel" phase and his face turn.

• 3 weeks later...

Jericho's book is worth it just because of:

1. The story where Vince McMahon wanted to fight Frank Shamrock.

2. The story where Vince McMahon spent an entire day teaching Dennis Miller how to do stand-up comedy.

God damn, I would read crazy Vince stories for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

Jericho's book is worth it just because of:

1. The story where Vince McMahon wanted to fight Frank Shamrock.

2. The story where Vince McMahon spent an entire day teaching Dennis Miller how to do stand-up comedy.

God damn, I would read crazy Vince stories for the rest of my life.

And don't forget about Vince picking a fight with Kofi Kingston.

• Like 1

The wrestling stuff in it is pretty damn good, because it covers the "suit wearing heel" phase of his career. There's some Fozzy stuff, and some Dancing With The Stars stuff but the bulk of it focuses on wrestling.