DVDVR Message Board

CWC EPISODE ONE - 1st Round (7/13/16)

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

Maybe in the minority, but I thought Hoho Lun looked fine. He didn't jump off the screen and his German is not the right finish for him, but he's got a pretty effortless babyface charisma and connection with the crowd already.

You can teach somebody how to work tighter.

I thought Lun was clearly the worst guy, but watching him I think you can tell that with some time in the PC, he'd put it together.

I liked the presentation and arena setup. Less is usually more in that area. Mauro and Bryan were stepping on each others toes a lot, but both guys sound so professional and enthusiastic that it didn't matter. I'd love it if those two stuck together and got to work the main shows at some point.

The only thing I didn't like was how every match was a standard WWE-style face/heel setup, except for the main which was a standard WWE-style face/face setup. I was hoping to see more back and forth and the letting the crowd reactions happen organically and more of an indy feel to the matches.

The vast skill differences between the competitors adds a lot of charm to it, I think. It's like a big poker tournament where you have some world-class pros and several guys who have no business being there. Of the unknowns, Petiot impressed me the most.

Mauro was Mauro so that's all good, but I got really annoyed with Bryan after he kept going on about Lun's jet lag, as if he got off the flight from Hong Kong and rolled right into the ring.  That said, already best announce team in WWE.

I kinda wished they had worked the effects of Saez's weight loss into the match with Metalik, like him having trouble keeping pace and whatnot, but I guess that's not what they wanted out of it.

Lun  maybe has potential in a few years. He's got some charisma, and can execute moves in the ring, but he's still green as grass and doesn't have any instincts yet. Same with Saez.  Of the unheard of guys, I was a lot more impressed with Maluta and Petiot.

3 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Forgot to mention, Lun lost me immediately when after being knocked down at the beginning of the match, he casually fixed his hair.

Ha!  I thought the exact same thing.  

I liked the show but I do feel too many guys were trying to be something they weren't quite.  Saez would have been awesome if he had just taken his overacting down a notch.

I was happy to see Cedric get a great reaction considering the bracket special chose to pretend that he wasn't in it.

I loved Alejandro Saez. He had a wild-eyed intensity that I really enjoyed, even though it was a little over the top. I doubt he'll come back to the WWE-osphere in any capacity, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

This was my first time seeing Kota Ibushi. First impression is that he's great-looking, super talented, superbly executes all kinds of cool moves... and it just doesn't add up to as much as it seems like it should. In other words, he's the Japanese Finn Balor. Right now I'd rather watch another Alejandro Saez match.

• Like 2

Lun was definitely the least impressive guy last night and I'd rather see more of Saez or Petiot than more of Lun. Lun does have potential, hopefully the exposure gets him more bookings in places that will help him improve or he gets signed to development, but he was obviously a step below everyone else on the show and having him on a show with Dorada and Ibushi really made him stick out.

I hope that sometime in the future Dorada/Metalik gets signed by WWE he's so smooth and effortless, I think he came off the best, a hair above Ibushi who is so obvious a finalist in this that I almost feel like their setting it up for him to lose in the semi-finals or something, his whole push is just so HE IS THE BEST GUY IN THE TOURNAMENT that it's almost overkill but maybe that's just obvious to peoples like us who spend so much time thinking about and reading about and watching wrestling.

Ho Ho was sub Brie Bella level. Saez had a nice showing. I liked the Cedric/Petiot match, and thought it was a good showing from both guys. Ibushi/Maluta was a really nice favorite vs underdog match. Ibushi makes everything look great and was really working hard to make Maluta's stuff look good(including leaning into that awesome superkick).

Well, I enjoyed that. Granted, I'm long past the point where I really watch wrestling as intensely & as scholarly as the majority of folk on here, but the presentation was good, the commentary was good, and the matches were fun. I agree that Ho Ho Lun has some development to do, but otherwise I enjoyed Saez, he was endearing, & this was the first time I'd seen either Gran Metallik or Ibushi & they were both good fun.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of this.