DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Spinning Its Wheels Until the Draft - 7/11/16

Niners Fan in CT

So Cesaro-Owens was fab-u-lux again.  

I have no idea what that New Day/Wyatts segment was.

And Shane to Smackdown and Stephanie to Raw.  

(EDIT -- Sorry Niners, your New Day-letion title was so much better, I'm actually sad it got lost in the thread merge.)

• Like 1

TNA has now officially done something better than WWE, and did it first.  There will be no living with Dixie now.

Steph is fucking grating with this petulant child routine.  And she put those stairs over more than she has any worker in the company.

• Like 1

Any guesses on the GMs?   Shane is all about giving the people what they want..  so have to figure babyface. Popular babyface. Guy who isn't doing much right now but would get a pop.

Come on down..  Daniel Bryan. 

As for RAW, Steph will likely give us a heel but maybe not. Maybe a tweener. I'll say Kane. Why? Well, I figure he won't wrestle much this year and I also assume it'll setup a SummerSlam segment with Team Hell No and the return of Dr. Shelby.

8 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

TNA has now officially done something better than WWE, and did it first.  There will be no living with Dixie now.

I think they already won that award when WWE tried to do a version of the Claire Lynch angle with Daniel Bryan and the massage therapist.  But yeah anybody that says they thought of that long before The Final Deletion is delusional.

Speaking of delusional, that Rollins segment before Dean Ambrose saved it was atrocious.   I loved how the background changed 3 times in that spliced up interview.  And then the classic  "He is not a good guy, he is not a bad guy, he is a suspended guy" phrase under his name.  It is utterly amazing to me that they think they have make him popular off of this shit

Cesaro deadlifting Owens -- even catching him in midair and holding him like a baby -- is such the coolest feat of strength ever since those Mark Henry vignettes. 

Bet you a million it ends up HHH (or Kane) and Bryan. 

This is the first Raw I've been able to watch in full forever and I've missed exactly nothing.

There's no way Ambrose-Rollins ends with anything but a Dusty finish.  Just a way to split the belts, maybe?  Feels like something else is going on, though.  Roman swooping in and grabbing the belt while kicking both out of the arena will be hilarious.  Rollins should buy Ambrose dinner for saving his hide with that promo.

Darren Young is going to win via wackiness.  Banana peels, Backlund strangling someone with suspenders, you name it.  It *could* be fun as long as Young looks competent while be lucky to be a winner.

I assume Steph picks HHH as her general manager.  Maybe.  Then again, she'll want someone who she thinks she can push around. Who does Shane go for?  Big Show as he transitions to a non-wrestling role, perhaps?

The New Day/Wyatt segment almost felt like a white power rally.  For a made for TV horror film it was decent.  But the multi-layered filter, just NO!

The show moved quickly, but not sure how much was accomplished.

I sorta really dug that Sasha/Dana match. It reminded me of the Carmella/Bliss match from NXT that I also liked. The execution on Dana's end still was sloppy. Her athleticism (and she's really athletic) hasn't translated into professional wrestling yet. So a spot like her attempt at a tumbling splash or the kick with Sasha in the corner might not look completely sharp. But the pacing of the match was really good. Dana's an awesome comedic actress with her timing and taunts and playing to the entire room. I could easily see her as some flunky in an all-female Police Academy, for instance. And Sasha's friggin' Sasha. She was in the right place throughout the match and knows how to work the crowd and her promo was fire.

• Like 2

Great pop for Cena's surprise save. I enjoyed the New Day/Wyatts thing for what it was. Certainly no Final Deletion but I wouldn't mind seeing them in a street fight when they face for the titles. Shane O's celebration to being named commissioner of SD was the best.

20 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I sorta really dug that Sasha/Dana match. It reminded me of the Carmella/Bliss match from NXT that I also liked. The execution on Dana's end still was sloppy. Her athleticism (and she's really athletic) hasn't translated into professional wrestling yet. So a spot like her attempt at a tumbling splash or the kick with Sasha in the corner might not look completely sharp. But the pacing of the match was really good. Dana's an awesome comedic actress with her timing and taunts and playing to the entire room. I could easily see her as some flunky in an all-female Police Academy, for instance. And Sasha's friggin' Sasha. She was in the right place throughout the match and knows how to work the crowd and her promo was fire.

DANA in Police Academy would be AMAZING! That's just brilliant casting.

• Like 1

The Rollins Report should have been really funny but it was too well-edited to get its point across to the audience.  In spite of the background changes, it was still fairly seamless cutting between the questions and answers so it kind of looked like Roman was actually answering Rollins' questions.  Sort of like when WWE did the Vince McMahon lie detector skit and flubbed it.  Like with the Wyatts, sometimes the WWE editing machine is a little too slick for its own good.

I did like the Army of Wyatts.  I guess it leaves the door open for possible additions down the line.  Barbaro Wyatt?  A man can dream can't he?!

Dean Ambrose's promo was wonderful, and it would be nice to see him go that route once in a while when the situation calls for it.  Tonight's promo kind of felt like WWE might be sticking with Ambrose long-term.

Darren Young getting a chant was amazing, as was his expression when he won.

Ending was classic WWE bait and switch: "I'm gonna announce a new Comissioner tonight" hinting that it might seomeone new, then naming Steph/Shane and promising new GMs for next week.  I want Steph to punish the fans/wrestlers with someone who is meaner than her, then announcing Dario Cueto as GM.  It's not, you know, going to happen but it would be amazing.  

Also noticed the writers/Vince not-so-subtly taking potshots at Cena/Lesnar for not being around all the time: "Would you take John Cena first overall knowing his other commitments and age?", "Would you take Brock Lesnar knowing he's not here all that often?" and Ambrose's promo having the line about people coming in and moving ahead of him, then leaving or taking time off.  Kinda seemed like Vince being annoyed at UFC selling for so much money.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Any guesses on the GMs?   Shane is all about giving the people what they want..  so have to figure babyface. Popular babyface. Guy who isn't doing much right now but would get a pop.

Come on down..  Daniel Bryan. 

As for RAW, Steph will likely give us a heel but maybe not. Maybe a tweener. I'll say Kane. Why? Well, I figure he won't wrestle much this year and I also assume it'll setup a SummerSlam segment with Team Hell No and the return of Dr. Shelby.

The one question with this, though: You know that you have full power anyway and one major authority figure in the McMahons.

With that in mind- why wouldn't Shane or Stephanie instead say "My GM is John Cena/Whichever of Ambrose/Rollins is WWE Champ after the match next week"!, give them the win- and then the first show of their own power, immediately fire them as GM and make them wrestle- getting a free first pick in the draft and knock someone off the draft pool early?

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Thinking Dana Brooke would be a great Proctor.

I don't have enough likes for this. Dana would be a perfect Proctor.

This show...my God did it go on and on and on.

I did love the battle royal. Did Apollo botch that elimination or was that supposed to happen? Either way Darren winning was great because it gives us Bob Backlund in a prime role on television for a couple of weeks now.

The one thing though, that Wyatt video. Now if someone was just flipping through the channels and just happened to stop on USA and saw this dark muddy video on I think at least in the mind of a casual viewer they'd want to know why were three good ol boys beating up three black guys in the back woods down south? Seriously the only missing from all of that was a burning cross of some sort. Never mind how horrible it was shot and edited and I saw someone on Reddit say that filter was something from Adobe Premier.

Skipping along to the end. I think Vince got a little lost because they were supposed to name the COO's but he ended up calling them commissioner's. They make you think it might be someone interesting and they draw it out just to make it Shane for Smackdown. They really could have started the show like that.

• Like 2

Oh no that was definitely the planned finish of the Battle Royal. Because nothing will get Darren Young over faster than fluke wins.

And I said this last night - I totally see Ryder winning the US title which is only acceptable if it means Rusev is winning the off brands world title.