DVDVR Message Board

Pokemon Go!

What's funny is that Niantic just used all the data from their other game and slapped the Pokemon skin on it

The fact that no one said anything before makes me giggle more than I should

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I totally see Vince having it on his phone because of his Grandkids

It might be the one thing in the last 20 years he is current on

Sort of.  He keeps yelling at them not to look for pacmen in his office.

Anyway, moving on.

I'm totally fascinated by the game's popularity. Yesterday I took my kid and girlfriend to the art museum on the Notre Dame campus. Due to all of the stadium construction, you have to park in a far lot and then walk about 20 minutes to the museum. On the way to the museum I lost count of the people playing Go. We passed even more people on the way back playing go. The two guys walking behind us the entire walk back to our car (maybe parked in the same lot?) talked about Pokemon Go strategies and ways of gaming the system.

The whole thing is such a phenomenon that I wound up downloading the app. It's interesting to say the least.

EDIT: Also, now I wish I had the app before we went to the museum. I'm sure I probably would have found some on the walk to the museum and back.

I have seen more than one person claim that if you are quick enough - if you miss a pokemon with a toss, quickly tap on the pokeball and you can get it back

Again - who the fuck knows if it works.

One of my sisters started playing last night. She talks about not understanding why its its such a big deals as I drove her to her apartment only to then ooh over her water fountain being a landmark and take several minutes to leave the car because she was so focused on capturing a rattata.

• Like 1

A friend of mine was not sold on it at all when trying out the game.  But after she found out some tips to try she's big-time into it.  Same with me, I had no intention of playing this until Monday.  But after trying it for a bit the game is indeed fun.  You never know sometimes what will amuse you enough to give it a shot.

Ok, just read an article about the Auschwitz concentration camp people reaching out to the game developers and asking them to take the site offers their map. 

Pokémon Go players... do not capture Pokémon at a fucking concentration camp memorial!!!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Why. Why even come in here to say that? Christ...

A better question would be: "Why not?" ;-)

One would think that the sort of person who runs around in public places looking for Pokemons would have cultivated a bit thicker skin.

I remember Phil Hendrie doing a bit where he was interviewing Bobbie Dooley (asshole suburbanite mom) and she was gushing about planning her fun trip to Germany and to the amazing box lunches she was planning for their trip to Dachau.  The whole joke was how absurd it was for anyone to be that clueless....People are astounding*

* in that scientific way where the horrifying can be reduced to "fascinating"

52 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Ok, just read an article about the Auschwitz concentration camp people reaching out to the game developers and asking them to take the site offers their map. 

Pokémon Go players... do not capture Pokémon at a fucking concentration camp memorial!!!

Add that to the list that includes the Holocaust Museum, the 9/11 Memorial, and Arlington National Cemetery.

If you're hunting Pokemon at Arlington National Cemetery, hopefully the ghost of Chesty Puller will rise up out of the grave and chokeslam the shit out of you or something.

Our Wing Commander and/or base PA page hasn't put out anything like some of the other warnings yet, but I'm guessing it's coming sooner or later.

• Like 1

It is horrifying to think where these locations are.  When plotting out Pokestops and gyms they should have considered where they were plotting these.  

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What's funny is that Niantic just used all the data from their other game and slapped the Pokemon skin on it

The fact that no one said anything before makes me giggle more than I should

If you're referring to Ingress then I'm amazed nobody said anything.  The game wasn't nearly as popular as this but it had its followers.  So the fact that in both games they were at similar locations is quite alarming.

Turn them in to the Professor (swipe down to the bottom of each one's description and hit Transfer).  Once you have reaped your XP & Pidgey candy you can evolve the strongest to Pidgetto or Pidgeot (who's decent). 

And you can also live with the fact that you've sent all your Pidgeys to be murdered by that sick fuck. 

• Like 3

I was visiting my parents today and in the hour I was there ten Pokemon showed up in their dining room.  They live close to a park that has like 8 pokestops in it.  I don't know if that had anything to do with so many showing up.

The cool thing is that my Dad, who has limited mobility and can't do the walking around aspect but was curious about the game, got to check it out. 

My 2 1/2 year old caught a Pidgey today and it only took him like, all my Pokeballs.  The ride to the orphanage  after was rough, but it was right next to a pokestop so you know...silver lining. 

• Like 2