DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

On 2/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, elizium said:

Kevin Durant and Logan Paul Agree: Sports Trading Cards Are the Future

Plus sports cards are having a bit of a moment in general. As someone who was a giddy obsessed child during the 80s/early 90s card boom, I don't see how this doesn't end in the same way.

Clearly this guy wasn't paying attention when the Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck card dropped.

What a motley crew. At least with Bill Simmons around, Logan Paul can be assured he isn't the most detestable person in the group

I'm too lazy to read the article at the moment, but if the Goldin Auctions guy is Ken Goldin, Logan Paul would probably be 3rd in line. 

Ken has a "problematic" reputation in the card world. 

17 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'm too lazy to read the article at the moment, but if the Goldin Auctions guy is Ken Goldin, Logan Paul would probably be 3rd in line. 

Ken has a "problematic" reputation in the card world. 

Goldin has long since overcome that rep.  He got a lot of grief when he started his auction house because of his association with Don West and the late night shopping stuff but he's gotten past that.  He gets huge items for all of his auctions and draws big, big money for them.  And when personal collections are sold - like A-Rod's or Jackie Robinson's - they go to Goldin.  

I don't like Goldin but he's not seen as a problem anymore.

• 1 month later...

The Target near only sells sports Cards Boxes Friday at 8 AM now & you save your place in line via your phone number then they text you when it is your turn to make a selection. Turns out the reserve line starts the night before which I didn't know so I was 3rd in the actual line but it still took me over an hour to get a text. 

Since I just noticed this thread: I have a pretty complete collection of the first Marvel Masterpieces series, and the '90 and '91 Marvel sets. Anybody have any experience selling these things individually if they aren't complete? Some of the Masterpieces are beat up but man that is the best looking series ever. Google tells me that the '91s go for a median $14 a pop which doesn't seem too shabby.

Note, these have been long sleeved-up and squirreled away in a safe deposit box so it's not like they're rotting in a plastic tub in the garage. 

Edited by Curt McGirt