DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

Time for WWE Undisputed! I think this is why the thread got started in the first place. Undisputed is WWE's premium card set, each box costs $200 and comes with 10 'hits'. I got three boxes, here were my hits, plus a few extra goodies:

Spoiler

5fLAPw5.jpg

ezsHYRZ.jpg

tj31i42.jpg

SDql0bV.jpg

The value of those is solid (the Lorcan is a 1/1 and Goldberg is worth around $75) but the best one I got was this:

26W6Dhg.jpg

A shitty printing plate autograph. I say shitty because I don't like printing plates (and a redemption to boot since Bret is a lazy fuck that never signs the cards in time) but I should be able to get at least $250 for it. But I really like the new colors this year, all the base cards are blue which looks really nice, and all the autograph cards are on-card autos except for Taker and Goldberg. Taker cards are going for crazy money but sadly I didn't get one.

• Like 1

Okay, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I say this stuff as someone who hasn't bought any wrestling cards whatsoever since WCW was a thing, but also as the owner of a massive baseball card collection that's worth pennies on the dollar compared to what I paid for the stuff.

Will wrestling cards hold their value? Here's where I get really nervous when I hear Kevin talking about $200 boxes and $75 autographed Goldberg cards... Goldberg may fall just over the line of crossover celebrity to where his card will retain some value, obviously, someone like the Rock is a safe bet. However, the average WWE superstar is notable for what, five years? Ten, maybe. Let's look at Kevin's autographs and see if we can prognosticate:

Johnny Gargano - I'm really high on the guy, but I'm a hardcore. Does anyone really think that Gargano will be known outside of the hardcore audience in ten years?

Natalya - Hell, even with Total Divas, she's completely forgettable now!

Edge - As shown by whatever the name of that series based on The Colorado Kid was, Adam has the acting chops to have a nice second career in the public eye.

Charlotte Flair - Likely due to her name, Charlotte will remain known to the casual fan.

Dana Brooke - Put me down for totally forgotten in ten years.

Goldberg - Bill's a funny sort of critter, I don't think that anyone has had a better career based on doing less or maintained a public awareness by doing less in retirement. His post-wrestling appearances have been absolute genius as far as being at the right things at the right time and the only blemish on his record is being a jackass and punching out a window, which somehow gets him points in the "cool" column.

Xavier Woods - When I talk about a five-year shelf life, this guy is on the poster.

Alicia Fox - See Natalya

Big E - An odd situation, this guy has IT, but so far just seems to be missing that critical audience connection and I'm not sure why. He could still be a massive breakout star, or he could quietly fade away with the other members of A New Day. 

I could go on to do the blue background cards, but I think it safe to put them all in the same box. There isn't anyone there who will be remembered in ten years by anyone but the most hardcore of hardcores and can it be established that these people buy trading cards? I think that all of us posting in this thread bought other types of cards before wrestling cards an so were predisposed to card collecting when actually decent wrestling cards hit the market. Yeah, I have those early 1980s cards that I believe were a magazine insert and that ridiculous NWA set (missing about 8 cards) as well as the later WCW and WWF sets, and I'll probably wind up buying autograph cards of a few favorites, knowing that it's unlikely that they'll hold their value. 

I could be completely wrong, but from where I sit wrestling fans have really short memories. I'm looking at my magazine set and wondering just how many cards would have any sort of resale value today? Hogan? sure. Bruno? probably. The Destroyer? well Yohe and I would find it cool, don't know about anyone else, Superst*r Billy Graham? Probably not. The Masked Superstar? Probably not. The one card that I cared enough to get signed, Playboy Buddy Rose? Likely not. In fact, going through the whole set there are probably only four or five wrestlers portrayed that would have any resonance with fans today. Through shoot videos and what not it's easier for workers to remain in the public eye today, but thinking that there will be a demand in ten years for an autographed Dean Ambrose or Austin Aries card seems a bit of a stretch.

To most people, from my experience anyway, buying the single cards isn't an attempt to make a future investment but rather they buy cards of the wrestlers they like. The value is just higher because that given wrestler has more fans, which makes the price go up. For example, I buy Asuka cards, I have about 12. I paid anywhere from $10 to $50 each for them, but I don't plan to ever sell them as they sit on my display case and I look at them every day. I don't assume they will go up in value, in fact I am sure they will go down, but I enjoy them.

So to use Gargano as an example (his cards don't have a lot of value) - people that buy this cards are likely long time fans of his and are card collectors, so they want his card for their collection. Wrestling cards traditionally don't go up in value, so people that make investments aren't going to go into wrestling cards to do it. Unless they are really confused. So it doesn't really matter if the wrestler will be famous in ten years, if I love Gargano and want his signed card on my shelf and enjoy it, then if the card decreased in value from $10 to $1 over the next say five years, it doesn't really matter.

Now there is a reason I quickly posted these for sale, as values are always highest the first month or so after cards are released. People that collect a certain wrestler raise the values since they don't know if more will be posted. For example if someone loves Natalya and collects all her cards, and I post a /25 autograph, people may feel pressure to pay more in case more of them don't pop up on Ebay or the prices short term go up. And people get excited, which leads to increased prices.

I guess what I'm saying is, collecting cards is rarely an investment to those that buy it, but people buying things they want to personally enjoy. If I pay $60 for a brand new PS4 game, that game is worth $25 in a year, but if I enjoyed it then I don't care the value decreased. I don't see card collecting as much different.

I purchased this lot of Stardom cards for a stupidly high price, but some really rare cards in here:

c64rAem.jpg

Its a small picture since I don't have them in hand yet, but it includes four Io Shirai autographs (a single, two duals, and a trio), two Kairi Hojo autographs (one single and one dual), and two additional Mayu Iwatani single autographs. Its virtually impossible to find these cards, some I have never even seen pictures of before, like the Io Shirai/HZK/Momo triple auto. So I'm pretty excited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stardom released a new set of cards, I got 25 packs in today. I opened 23 of them (two are gifts) and got 29 autographs, here are most of them:

Spoiler

kyZO2WD.jpg

WjhRymx.jpg

s5Bd4FT.jpg

This set is very low on gaijin as the cards were signed when they only had a few on tour with them. Also no Kairi since it was after she left, but it does have Io in it. Overall a good value, I'll be able to keep the wrestlers I want for my collection and still easily make money selling the rest.

• Like 1

I got my first baseball cards in 1984. My dad bought me the 1984 Topps team sets of the Cubs and Tigers - because that's who everyone expected to be in the Series. I was in 5th grade. I collected heavily for the next few years. By about 1990, though, I was out of cards and fully into comics. Cards were getting expensive and complicated. Comics were, too, but at least you could read them. 

My cards are long since sold or tossed. The last batch I sold in bulk were some things in 2003 when I needed truck repairs. I have looked into getting back into cards over the years, expanding into football and non-sports. But it's as complicated and expensive as ever. (1970s-80s movie and tv cards were still pretty expensive last time I looked, and that's something I would like to collect.) 

With so many sets and what not, generally what I do for my personal collection is focus on a team or player/wrestler that I really like and get variants if possible. My personal collection is really small, I prefer quality over quantity, I'm picky about what goes in my collection since I have the cards in display in my living room.

For example, for this football season I am grabbing all the Bills in the Gold Standard set. I like how the set looks visually to display, and its a mid-range brand so they are quality cards but not super expensive. In the end I'll have about eight cards from the set (I'm being picky about prices) and they'll be on the shelf probably til next August when they get bumped back a row and so on. But by focusing on one thing it stops me from going crazy and spending way too much.

• Like 1

Yeah focusing on one team to collect or one set makes it easier.

Until Topps lost Football last year me and my dad always collected just that and built a complete set. Last year I tried several different products to see what I liked which was expensive this year I'm focused on one product.

For wrestling cards collecting your favorite wrestler is cheapest and simplest option unless you buy boxes then sell the ones you don't want on ebay.

1 minute ago, Kronos said:

The baseball sets back in the day were around 800 cards. 

How big are the rasslin sets? I assume we're talking about wwe, primarily?

WWE base sets tend to be around 100 cards, then with variations of those 100. Then course there are autograph or relic cards from there. I think variations is a good way to go as it tailors to different collectors. Like with one set I got all the variations of the Asuka cards, they are all different colors and look nice on display. But for others that just want every card, since the base set isn't numbered they are pretty cheap/easy to build by getting a couple boxes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Wonder why they don't number them? That seems weird. Maybe to keep you buying packs because you think you'll find another one. 

Haha sorry, I used the wrong terminology. They have numbers on them like 1-100 but they aren't serial numbered. Since they aren't serial numbered they are easier to track down since some people only collect cards that are serial numbered.

I was just watching an unboxing video for 2016 Then Now Forever. It was funny to see which wrestlers the kid knew and which he didn't. If he knew them, he would say the name enthusiastically. If it was Orndorff or Malenko or Anvil, he was silent and moved on. 

I like the look of the 2017 cards, including the ones that look like classic TV cards (Total Divas). 

16 hours ago, Kronos said:

I got my first baseball cards in 1984. My dad bought me the 1984 Topps team sets of the Cubs and Tigers - because that's who everyone expected to be in the Series. I was in 5th grade. I collected heavily for the next few years. By about 1990, though, I was out of cards and fully into comics. Cards were getting expensive and complicated. Comics were, too, but at least you could read them. 

My cards are long since sold or tossed. The last batch I sold in bulk were some things in 2003 when I needed truck repairs. I have looked into getting back into cards over the years, expanding into football and non-sports. But it's as complicated and expensive as ever. (1970s-80s movie and tv cards were still pretty expensive last time I looked, and that's something I would like to collect.) 

Perhaps it might be interesting for those of us that can recall what their first cards were to post memories of same... I started the year that we had both Topps and Fleer to choose from. Topps had the usual awful gum and Fleer had this weird sort of cookie, but Fleer also had Bazooka Joe Adcock and Willie Mays, which counted for a whole lot. Packs were five cents and you could re-deem soda bottles for two or three cents, so a day of scrounging around could work into three or four packs of baseball cards.

Let's see who can guess what year I'm talking about without looking it up... ;-) 

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I have been tempted to just grab an old (pre 89) box off eBay and open packs just for fun. 

If it wasn't for the (rumored) fact that it's very easy to steam open and re-seal wax packs I'd be all over a couple of really old packs that are on eBay right now. A box would be the way to go and most 1980s boxes aren't so valuable as to make it worth while for someone to have screwed with them. You know, my choice for unopened box would be an odd one, but hear me out... I'd go for the 1961 or 1962 Fleer Baseball Greats. By definition, you're going to get good cards in every pack (when the set is based on HOFrs and likely HOFrs it sort of goes without saying). Sure there are a few cards that are worth quite a bit, but nothing like a contemporary Aaron, Mantle, or Mays, so your cost isn't going to be off the charts. Granted, the potential rewards aren't that high either, and I've no idea about shipping waves or if it was all just one wave, but there's worse things in life than having four duplicates of Jimmie Foxx, right?

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I have been tempted to just grab an old (pre 89) box off eBay and open packs just for fun. 

Usually every year for X-mas my oldest son gets me a random non-sports pre-90 wax box. 2 years ago it was a box of Dinosaurs Attack. Ended up getting 3 complete sets of the base set and 2 complete sets of the stickers. 

Also talked a friend into trying out one of the sticks of gum that came in the packs. She ended up brushing her teeth for what seemed to be a hour to get the taste out of her mouth.

17 hours ago, OSJ said:

Perhaps it might be interesting for those of us that can recall what their first cards were to post memories of same... I started the year that we had both Topps and Fleer to choose from. Topps had the usual awful gum and Fleer had this weird sort of cookie, but Fleer also had Bazooka Joe Adcock and Willie Mays, which counted for a whole lot. Packs were five cents and you could re-deem soda bottles for two or three cents, so a day of scrounging around could work into three or four packs of baseball cards.

Let's see who can guess what year I'm talking about without looking it up... ;-) 

That's 1959.

My first were in 1976.  Somehow acquired a bunch of Topps cards that year despite being really young.  Mom tossed 'em all and I started over again in 1982 with some Topps rack packs that I got for my birthday from my uncle.  Good times!

I started sometime in late 70s. But as a teen, a friend of my dad gave me a bag full of 60s cards, including some big names, but all well worn. And then there is the 65 Mays where someone drew glasses on him. 

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

That's 1959.

My first were in 1976.  Somehow acquired a bunch of Topps cards that year despite being really young.  Mom tossed 'em all and I started over again in 1982 with some Topps rack packs that I got for my birthday from my uncle.  Good times!

Back in the day, I didn't care for the design of those '82 Topps cards. Now I look at them with fondness. 

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

That's 1959.

You are WRONG, sir! I was two years old in 1959, and while somewhat precocious, I didn't start reading until age 4. 1959 if I recall correctly, was the year that Fleer devoted an entire set to one Theodore Williams... I have one card out of that set, a pic of Teddy Ballgame and XX at Spring Training. 

No, the year I refer to (and I thought for sure that the Joe Adcock and Willie Mays would be the tip-off), is 1963! I was six, and that's just old enough to scrounge soda bottles or bum them off the neighbors in order to buy baseball cards.