DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

I won't say how much I spent on these cards, but I got in some super rare Stardom cards today. Io Shirai autographs are hard to come by since they rarely fall on the secondary market, but I got four in this set. Plus a couple Kairi Hojo and Mayu Iwatani for good measure.

Spoiler

UWc1ctG.jpg

lcmXSbD.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a bit of a break from WWE cards since Undisputed, but picked up a few the last few days. Hopefully I'll have some really cool stuff to post next week, I just wanted to alert any other WWE card collectors that Topps has discounted their NXT Mini Box to $12.50 (plus shipping). Each box comes with five cards with one autograph, the autograph list is really solid as it includes Shinsuke, Asuka, Bayley, Samoa Joe, and Alexa Bliss. So if anyone wanted to try a box or two they are reasonably priced, its rare to find anything that cheap with a guaranteed "hit" card.

The 2017 NXT box must have been a complete failure. It has ten autographs in it and was originally priced at $200 or so (same as Undisputed), but I am able to find the boxes for $98 with free shipping. $98 for 10 hits is a really good price so I got two boxes, and I got one of the 2017 Topps Legend of WWE boxes because the cards are too good to not give it a whirl. That one is $98 with four hits, but has tons of great autographs including "cut" autographs of wrestlers like Bam Bam, Savage, and Pillman.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was in Target buying Christmas gifts with a bunch of giftcards I had leftover and decided to grab one of the Topps: Then Now Forever mini boxes with what I had leftover.  It comes with a bonus relic card, which ended up being a Nikki Bella Duel Relic serial 2/50.  It also has a sweet looking Ted Dibiase in all white with the old school WWE tag championship - which will look fantastic with the Million Dollar Man/IRS Funko Pop pack I picked up at Walgreens on my birthday.  I really have no interest in the Nikki Bella card, but it at least looks like I'll be able to flip it on Ebay for at minimum the price of the mini box.  Probably going to head back and grab a couple more boxes today cause now I have the itch.  

Spoiler

zzHotlU.jpg?142zzEch.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For whatever reason, Alexa Bliss is the wrestler whose cards sell for the most, even more than Asuka, Sasha, etc. (the female wrestler cards tend to have more value, you can make your own guess as to why). So I was pretty excited to get this in my last box:

jOnly42.jpg

Not to keep because I think kiss cards are a bit weird but it should sell for at least $150. Since the box was $52, that's a good investment as I also got a handful of cards I wanted for my own collection. I'm going to quit while I am ahead and not get anymore.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

For whatever reason, Alexa Bliss is the wrestler whose cards sell for the most, even more than Asuka, Sasha, etc. (the female wrestler cards tend to have more value, you can make your own guess as to why). So I was pretty excited to get this in my last box:

jOnly42.jpg

Not to keep because I think kiss cards are a bit weird but it should sell for at least $150. Since the box was $52, that's a good investment as I also got a handful of cards I wanted for my own collection. I'm going to quit while I am ahead and not get anymore.

Kiss cards are definitely weird, but to highlight my own weirdness for a second, I would be all about getting a few if face painted male workers got to do them as well. I for one, would love to have a Goldust or Konnor or Viktor kiss card sitting on my desk. I think those are the only three that would work, but I would dig it nonetheless.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Kiss cards are definitely weird, but to highlight my own weirdness for a second, I would be all about getting a few if face painted male workers got to do them as well. I for one, would love to have a Goldust or Konnor or Viktor kiss card sitting on my desk. I think those are the only three that would work, but I would dig it nonetheless.

I don't want anything to do with Konnor or Viktor anywhere near my desk, but a Goldust kiss card would be the coolest thing ever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 1:18 PM, Uter79 said:

A little late to the party but...

A few are available on ebay.

They aren't cheap by any means. The handful I saw were all like $200. Not a fucking chance am I paying that for a single card.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, grilledcheese said:

They aren't cheap by any means. The handful I saw were all like $200. Not a fucking chance am I paying that for a single card.

Most I've ever spent on a card was $340.00 for a Goudey Autographed Chuck Klein card. First the wife-person said, "You can go to $300 if it's that rare!" "It's the only one I've ever seen and in $5.00 increments, it's at $315.00...  "Go ahead and throw $340.00 at 'em, maybe you'll scare 'em!" Two minutes later she was screaming, "We won, we won!" Just one of many reasons I love her. 

$200 for a wrestling card? That better include dinner at one of the Ribera Steakhouses with Naito... On second thought, there's a good chance that he was rude to the staff in a previous incarnation. Wrestling turns are a dime a dozen, as a restaurant customer, once you heel, you'e a heel for life. So let's play it safe and make it Will Ospreay, everyone loves Will Ospreay... Of course, he might scream through dinner, he seems to be doing that a lot of lately.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2018 at 6:53 PM, Captain Kronos said:

This twitter thread = memories. 

At least that one is nicely centered... I recall paying $320 for four  cards that were in primo condition. Of course, we used to get $100-$120 at the shop. What we used tot get for Upper Deck Griffey RCs was just obscene. Funny thing is even though it was clear to me that anything Griffet could do with a bat,  Barry Bonds could do better. However, people only wanted his 1987 Fleer RC not his actually potentially scarce cards like 1987 Donruss Opening Day (How many people bought those stupid things? Not many, I'd wager,) the 1986 Donruss Rookies or Topps Traded. I've always held that cards out of those funky little sets were printed in lower quantities than the regular cards.

Remember when any star cards from the 1984 Donruss set carried a premium price? I remember people paying me $20 for Ripken. I'm going to have to go through my stuff and cut it down to one set per year and two shoe-boxes of miscellaneous star cards. Might as well also hang on to my autographed 300-HR club. (Yeah, it was a stupid idea, but my first baseball book (something from Scholastic Press, likely written in 1960-1962, it postulated that the two magic numbers for automatic induction were 3000 hits and/or 300 HRs.) Seems pretty silly now when all a guy has to do is bop along for for 15 years having pretty decent seasons and he'll at least hit the HR number. I think Roy Sievers may have been the first guy to retire with the 300 HR that didn't get a sniff of the HOF. Kingman was the first with 400 HR to not get serious consideration with Palmiero being the first 500/3000 guy to not get in .  

Was Palmiero problem 'roids? Cuz 500/3000 is superstar numbers. 

I forgot about Ken Griffey, yet another who should have been a GOAT but couldn't put it together. (see also: Darryl Strawberry - speaking of expensive rookie cards)

I thought those '86 Donruss and '87 Topps (with the woodgrain) were gorgeous cards. But when the edges are not white, any little nick will show twice as badly. 

9 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Was Palmiero problem 'roids? Cuz 500/3000 is superstar numbers. 

1 of only 6 guys to go 500/3000.

Fuckin A right that's superstar numbers, but sometimes a dumb dick wants to sit in front of a Congressional panel and point his finger and swear under oath that he's never gassed up, then 5 months later get popped for PEDs. That's reason enough to keep a dude out of the HOF.

Interestingly enough, he's playing independent ball right now. Still hitting relatively well, although no surprise there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What really hurt Palmiero was his minor league scouting report said he was just a singles hitter then he got called up to the big club meet Jose got much bigger and hit it over the fence. I would still put him in the hall of fame because 500/3000 is great numbers even with the roids factored in. 

• Like 1

Palmiero is the poster-boy for the term "dumbshit", poking Sandberg's wife when it was obvious that they were going to get caught. His appearance before the congressional committee, where he could've done what most all of his colleagues did and give some vague and nebulous answers that didn't mean anything, but no, he has to climb up on his horse and carry on about never using peds and then he gets popped for them three months later, the stupid fuck.

Even with that level of dumb-fuckery, and even though we've seen "magic numbers" erased right before our eyes, (or the game changed so that certain feats will never be possible again). For right now, 3000/500 is an awesome combo of consistency and power and anyone that attains it should go in. 

Lots of the "never be possible" apply to single season stuff like 30 Games won. Pretty damn unlikely, when a five-man rotation (this is assuming that no one gets called up or there aren't any experiments with having a middle-reliever start, just the same five dudes all season , you only get 32 starts... You best not fuck up. In the days of four-man rotations you got 40 starts, which makes Denny McLain's season still pretty awesome, but he did have a little bit of wiggle-room. 

How about 3000 or 500, but not both?  I'm no longer sold on the former as it's possible for a Richie Ashburn type of player to bop along at 150 hits per year for 20 years putting up ridiculous figures like Lloyd Waner (See: Throw the Rascals Out 2017 edition). The first real test of this may be Adrian Beltre and maybe he played like a HOFr in Cali and Texas, he sure as fuck didn't play like one in Seattle. As for the latter, the object of the game is to create runs and even if you're a strike-out prone Dave Kingman type, by definition, we know that you've created at least 500 runs. If the guys in front of you are at least competent, the total is a lot higher. Yeah, you're in. 

Keeping Raffy out for roids is as ridiculous as it is to keep out any player of that due to suspicion. Canseco was right in that 90% of the players were using them and most got away with it, because the average person isn't going to get super-jacked anyway, you have to be pre-disposed to it, otherwise, your muscles will be stronger, heal more quickly and likely your performance will improve but there won't be any huge physical changes. No one in the WWF took more roids than Rowdy Roddy Piper, but he never got jacked up, wasn't genetically wired that way. Jim Hellwig on the other hand... (And no, dead or alive, I'm not going to call him "Mr. Warrior", I just won't.)

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, Hail Sabin said:

Anyone bought any WWE Topps 2018 yet? 

Thinking of getting a box. 

I got one box, I got extremely lucky and pulled this:

aXPF8sh.jpg

Which I promptly sold for $200 on Ebay. I like the card design, I wish that WWE wasn't flooding the market so much as they put out way too many sets per year for the exact same wrestlers. I'm afraid they will burst their own bubble but only they have access to their sales so I guess it is working. If it was me doing it I'd have two "normal" sets a year (spring and fall) the premium set (Undisputed in the summer) and a NXT in the winter. Four sets a year would be plenty, their turnover isn't that high to justify the nine sets they had in 2017. For awhile I was collecting all the Asuka autograph cards but with so many sets it just became excessive so I stopped.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I got one box, I got extremely lucky and pulled this:

aXPF8sh.jpg

Which I promptly sold for $200 on Ebay. I like the card design, I wish that WWE wasn't flooding the market so much as they put out way too many sets per year for the exact same wrestlers. I'm afraid they will burst their own bubble but only they have access to their sales so I guess it is working. If it was me doing it I'd have two "normal" sets a year (spring and fall) the premium set (Undisputed in the summer) and a NXT in the winter. Four sets a year would be plenty, their turnover isn't that high to justify the nine sets they had in 2017. For awhile I was collecting all the Asuka autograph cards but with so many sets it just became excessive so I stopped.

See, this is exactly the sort of shit that chased me away from the hobby years ago. I've always been about collecting sets and then on the side having files of individual players that I collect. The latter went being a completest to "whatever comes my way" with the advent of chase cards. The straw that broke the camel's back was the realization that in one year I needed to acquire eight different Frank Thomas cards from one manufacturer alone and that another manufacturer was producing an eight-card chase set of the big fella. All told, I believe that I added up (between regular sets and chase cards) nearly forty Frank Thomas cards for this one year. Add to this that I also collected Bagwell, Bonds, Carter, McGriff, Ripken, & Matt Williams and you can see that this was getting out of hand in a hurry. 

All of these individuals were being over-produced by a ridiculous amount and then we moved into the serially-numbered cards and the cynical one of one shit being foisted on collectors, further devaluing the regular set and making it impossible for all but those with the very deepest pockets to collect a favorite player. 

I haven't bought any wrestling cards since the WCW set which goes for about five bucks these days, but have been very tempted to build files of favorite wrestlers. However, the plethora of sets and the cynically produced chase cards have kept me away so far, though I am tempted as my taste in wrestlers is eclectic enough that in most cases I'm not going to be going after the most over-produced. Let's see, I'd probably start off with Pete Dunne, Finn Balor, Asuka; but as soon as we come to Asuka, we enter the realm of over-priced chase cards, so perhaps the best course is to remain on the sidelines. 

• Like 1

Watching the 1983 all star game on youtube, and it brings back a lot of memories. 1984 was the first year I really started following baseball, since my dad bought me my first cards that year, and it's pretty much all the same guys.

But why would the Comiskey Park crowd, who cheered most of the AL players during introductions, boo Dave Winfield?

@OSJgot any insight?