DVDVR Message Board

Collecting and Selling Sports (and Wrestling!) Cards

Kevin Wilson

On 2/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, elizium said:

Kevin Durant and Logan Paul Agree: Sports Trading Cards Are the Future

Plus sports cards are having a bit of a moment in general. As someone who was a giddy obsessed child during the 80s/early 90s card boom, I don't see how this doesn't end in the same way.

Clearly this guy wasn't paying attention when the Ken Griffey Jr Upper Deck card dropped.

What a motley crew. At least with Bill Simmons around, Logan Paul can be assured he isn't the most detestable person in the group

I'm too lazy to read the article at the moment, but if the Goldin Auctions guy is Ken Goldin, Logan Paul would probably be 3rd in line. 

Ken has a "problematic" reputation in the card world. 

17 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'm too lazy to read the article at the moment, but if the Goldin Auctions guy is Ken Goldin, Logan Paul would probably be 3rd in line. 

Ken has a "problematic" reputation in the card world. 

Goldin has long since overcome that rep.  He got a lot of grief when he started his auction house because of his association with Don West and the late night shopping stuff but he's gotten past that.  He gets huge items for all of his auctions and draws big, big money for them.  And when personal collections are sold - like A-Rod's or Jackie Robinson's - they go to Goldin.  

I don't like Goldin but he's not seen as a problem anymore.

• 1 month later...

The Target near only sells sports Cards Boxes Friday at 8 AM now & you save your place in line via your phone number then they text you when it is your turn to make a selection. Turns out the reserve line starts the night before which I didn't know so I was 3rd in the actual line but it still took me over an hour to get a text. 

Since I just noticed this thread: I have a pretty complete collection of the first Marvel Masterpieces series, and the '90 and '91 Marvel sets. Anybody have any experience selling these things individually if they aren't complete? Some of the Masterpieces are beat up but man that is the best looking series ever. Google tells me that the '91s go for a median $14 a pop which doesn't seem too shabby.

Note, these have been long sleeved-up and squirreled away in a safe deposit box so it's not like they're rotting in a plastic tub in the garage. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 3 weeks later...

While I admittingly still don't understand the concept, I wonder if these NFT things will have some impact of sports and memorabilia collecting.    If I understood it these NFT is basically the same as one of those serial number out of 5 kind of cards that are in every single set now but there is no actual physical card 

Is there a good way to gauge how much specific cards are actually selling for beyond, like, just looking at completed ebay auctions?

I own exactly one sports card, but it's a Lebron James rookie card that's been in a hard sleeve since I took it out of the pack and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to go through the cost and hassle of getting it graded.

30 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Is there a good way to gauge how much specific cards are actually selling for beyond, like, just looking at completed ebay auctions?

I own exactly one sports card, but it's a Lebron James rookie card that's been in a hard sleeve since I took it out of the pack and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to go through the cost and hassle of getting it graded.

Ebay is where it's at.  Nothing else is close to accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been buying as many cards lately as prices have gone up due to the pandemic creating a sports card craze for unknown reasons, but I did get a couple cases of Topps WWE Women's Division since it has a handful of wrestlers I collect. Only pulled two cards that will go in my personal collection but not bad overall, these are the signed cards I got:

Spoiler

YdaOD0Y.jpg
GegD8ZZ.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, Zimbra said:

If you send it in the near future All the big grading places are backed up so it will be awhile before you get the card back. 

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I don’t remember. Do we discuss Panini stickers here? 

I don't see why not. Stickers, sports NFTs, I think any collectibles in the sports realm probably works better here than making a new topic.

3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

If you send it in the near future All the big grading places are backed up so it will be awhile before you get the card back. 

My step-dad asked me to send some of his cards to BGS in October. I did, we picked the "standard" speed option and well lets just say they still are sitting in their warehouse somewhere ungraded. Timeline for completion: TBD.

It is one of the reason why we are seeing almost a crash in the business now.   Apparently everybody decided to get their cards graded during the pandemic.    I believe PSA is go backlogged they basically shut down in order to catch up.  There are tons of new grading services available in the last year as well and they are getting flooded.   It used to be that you would go to a show and maybe half in the display case was graded cards.  Now there are some tables that have nothing but graded cards.  And again half of them they have to be taking a bath on money wise. 

My favorite from the card show last week was seeing a bunch of 1990 Skybox basketball with PSA grading.  I am thinking that you could buy 2 boxes of that shit for the cost of getting one of those cards graded.   A number of times grading cards is like putting a gold frame around an oil painting of dogs playing poker.   

Edited by hammerva

Luckily, for my personal collection I don't care if they are graded. I display mine and making them bigger would just make them harder to show, and I still have them protected. I have generally hand-waved the whole grading process, I've always sold my cards raw, but it can come in handy for older cards like my step-dads. But the crush is definitely real, now is definitely not a good time to try to get cards graded.

7 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Yeah, that's what I figured out as I started doing research.  I think I'm going to sit on it for a bit and maybe try in a year or so.

I follow Justin Cousson on twitter (he does really cool custom baseball cards) and apparently SGC is moving pretty quick. I've thought in the past of getting a couple cards graded, but I don't have any plans of selling anything anyway, so the cost of getting them graded would not be worth it

SGC also charges $250 a card for that type of turnaround so they better be able to do it quickly, unless he paid the "regular" cost and just got really lucky. BGS still has a 10 to 15 day turnaround for that cost as well. Its worth it in extreme cases but I don't think the average person is forking over that much for a graded card.

SGC is pretty respected though, I'd still be a little leery of the ones that have popped up just in the last year.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to float out to anyone that doesn't pay attention to such things - if anyone has any old Pokemon cards lying around, their values are currently the highest they've been since their original peak 20 years ago, and in come cases even higher. I had checked my old cards a few years ago and none had enough value to make it worth the trouble of selling. My brother and I went through ours again a few weeks ago and now they are worth a few thousand dollars (no super big hits, but some worth over $200). I think this window is going to be very small so if you have any, may want to check their current values if you aren't sentimentally attached to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I got about 30 of my pokemon cards graded, after carefully looking through my collection to what I think would grade well and what was worth selling. Overall I am really satisfied. I had to go with SGC, as BSG and PSA aren't accepting cards (not that the level I'd want to pay anyway). Only two cards got under an 8, and 17 cards at 9+. Even one Gem 10! Considering there are 20+ year old cards from my teen years that have just been stored in toploaders, it went about as well as I hoped.

Spoiler

kOH5QTr.jpg

2YwgLhI.jpg

It does take some research, took me and my brother a few hours to look up each card, see their value, see if it was worth the risk of paying $30 to get them graded depending on us guessing what the value would be depending on the grade, etc.  Some we just decided to sell non-graded, just depending on their condition and value. Our goal was to only send cards we thought would score at least an 8 out of 10 so I think we did a good job sorting it out in the end.

7 minutes ago, Tabe said:

You did great. Nothing below a 7 is terrific. Usually you will get a 5 in there because you missed a wrinkle. Well done!

My greatest Grading Shame is many years ago, I helped my step-dad go through his baseball card collection from when he was a kid. Had some older Mantles, Ryan rookie, etc.  I picked a bunch I thought would grade well, got the email they were done and one of the Mantles got a 2. And I'm like, a 2? WTF? I get it back and I hadn't noticed he had written all across the back in black pen ?