DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling moves that pretty much no longer exist

The combination of the "best/worst finishers" thread and a few mentions of Bob Backlund got me thinking of the atomic drop.  I have legitimately not seen anyone do an atomic drop since the late 80s.  In a world where we have the Canadian Destroyer and 35 leaping STO variations, has wrestling evolved to the point where smashing a dude's ass with your knee is where we draw the line of absurdity?  The atomic drop and the claw are moves that, off the top of my head, are examples of wrestling moves you just don't see anymore (or rarely).  What else ya got?

• Like 1

I feel like I've seen atomic drops in NXT women's matches recently. Either last nights or last weeks in fact (Alexa's matches are running together for me because I just watched last weeks on Tuesday).

No one does the slingshot suplex and its a damn shame. Gut-wretch suplex is a sweet move, I used to love when DiBiase would bust it out back in the day, with all the suplexing these days someone start adding it damnit.

• Like 1

The gutwrench is still used, just not in WWE. Jeff Cobb (Matanza) does rolling gutwrenches and it's insane.  Timothy Thatcher does a Karelin LIft suplex, essentiallya gutwrench where he lifts the grounded opponent off the mat in a gutwrench, then finiishes the move.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The gutwrench is still used, just not in WWE. Jeff Cobb (Matanza) does rolling gutwrenches and it's insane.  Timothy Thatcher does a Karelin LIft suplex, essentiallya gutwrench where he lifts the grounded opponent off the mat in a gutwrench, then finiishes the move.

Cesaro literally does a gutwrench in every single match.  The suplex that seems to have disappeared is the double underhook/butterfly suplex.  The last person I remember using it regularly is Bryan Danielson when he used to float over into an armbar.  You don't see many snap suplexes these days either.

• Like 3

I guess I differentiate between the gutwrench and the karelin lift too much. I want a nice standing gutwrench sometimes.

I miss Bradshaw always backsuplexing people off the top rope. Someone needs to start doing that as a signature spot again, I'm sure it's still being done all over the world but I want to see it more often. Sure it's pretty high risk for a signature spot but at least give it to someone as a finish. It'd be better than the supeman punch/spear combo for Roman.

Off the top of me head, I would say the claw with the glove (as per Blackjacks or heel DiBiase) needs to be seen again. Also, I really really dig the sleeper where the applier of the move then has to use the secret technique to wake the victim up before the lack of blood/oxygen affects the brain. Such heel potential, traditionally a gimmick for a wily Japanese. Often the revival move is hidden with a towel but is later revealed to be a vicious throat choke. Babyfaces would use a precise chop to the appropriate vertebrae. 

- RAF

Don't know if it's just me not paying that much attention or what but I feel like I haven't seen a back body drop in a while. And certainly not a Vince McMahon approved, "baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack body drop".

• Like 1

The suplex that seems to have disappeared is the double underhook/butterfly suplex.

Flair actually started busting out his butterfly suplex during his last WWE run. I remember him not using it for a long-time once he jumped back to WCW. However, I specifically recall him using it during the Greensboro RAW match with HHH (mainly b/c everyone thought he was going to pedigree HHH b/c he had him in a double underhook position) and he used it during the retirement match vs. HBK.

Did Scott Norton ever use the clawhold as a finisher? It seems like it would've played perfectly off his background as a champion arm wrestler. Whenever Ryback is able to join up with Lucha Underground they should have M.C. Gainey play some bitter old drunk Blackjack type and teach that big moron the clawhold or better yet Gary Busey do the same as the long lost brain damaged Von Erich brother.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nate said:

Wasn't the abdominal stretch the move that killed Shelly Martinez's vagina?

I've fantasized many times about killing Shelly Martinez's vagina, but never with an abdominal stretch. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've fantasized many times about killing Shelly Martinez's vagina, but never with an abdominal stretch. 

7 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Was that the match that caused the swelling to her Latina floppies?

CcGlzOv.gif

• Like 6

8 hours ago, offspring515 said:

Big E occasionally does a terrible abdominal stretch.

Forgot about him doing it. He slaps his opponents midsection in time with the "New Day Rocks" chant. Maybe his version would finally be the one that Gorilla approved of.

55 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Forgot about him doing it. He slaps his opponents midsection in time with the "New Day Rocks" chant. Maybe his version would finally be the one that Gorilla approved of.

Well, he won't get a submission out of it unless he wraps the toe around the ankle.

• Like 3

Count Bartelli (masked British wrestler in the 60s & 70s) used to use an Abdominal Stretch as his finisher, only it was a shoulder submission, not a belly lock. He'd set it up with Irish Whips where he'd hold on to the wrist and wrench the arm as they ran away.

Anyone still using the Straight Arm Lift? I think Cesaro used to use it in his past life sometimes. Not on the big stage though.

• Like 1