DVDVR Message Board

CWC BRACKETS

RIPPA

I made this it's own post just in case folks were even trying to pretend matchups didn't exist before seeing them (They also don't technically get revealed till 9 PM)

CmuKqatWYAA1mHm.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to guess Gran Metalik going over Tozawa.

ZSJ covers the UK, which I think hurts Gallagher's chances, and the same logic applies to Tozawa by way of Ibushi.

Semis then being ZSJ v. Metalik and Ibushi v. Swann, with an outside shot of Gargano...

ZSJ definitely seems to have the clearest path to the semifinals.  Gulak is the only guy that could really challenge him in that bracket.

The most wide open bracket looks to be the lower right.  Any of the 3 NXT guys could get the nod, but TJ Perkins is a strong darkhorse.  He got a lot of play on the preview show.

I really liked the intro show and the packages on different competitors, only I think it would have been much better if there had been something on every guy.  Just showing bios on a few select guys telegraphed the winners a bit too much IMO.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Him and Cedric Alexander were totally no sold during the program - that was... interesting

More interesting, given how the brackets would seem to project Gulak/ZSJ and Ibushi/Alexander as second-round matchups when both matches would seem like a quarterfinal match or further on paper. 

Alexander's other side of his bracket with Kendrick/Mendoza or Nese/Bennett may be relatively strong, but that Dar/Gurv Sihra and Daivari/Lun bracket seems pretty crystal-clear Gulak (if not also Cedric) didn't impress.

Having stayed spoiler-free so far, Hoho Lun vs. Daivari and Ciampa vs. Gargano seem to be the only two first-round match-ups, where the winner isn't obvious.

As far as people being or not being spotlighted go, it's interesting how much the Sihra brothers got, since their respective opponents seem like obvious favorites.

The Brian Kendrick redemption story was worth of all of this

Plus the Perkins but was great

And I am so fired up that they were featuring Jack Gallagher

God - imagine they did this for all their PPVs

• Like 1

This show was fantastic.  The only thing I wish is that they made this a four part series so they could have profiled everyone involved.  Most of these guys are unknown to much of their audience, so introducing all of them would have been good for them and us.  

• Like 1

Looking at the bracket it seems obvious who's moving to the second round save for one or two matches.  That, and it's giving me flashbacks to when I'd do Fire Pro tournaments with the indy guys I cared about.  Between that and the bracket special still can't believe this is on WWE Network.

It seems like ZSJ/Ibushi is the obvious final, but hot damn are there going to be some awesome matchups along the way.  I can't imagine the lesser-known guys going over guys like Swann and Metallik.  Assuming that every matchup second round on will be fantastic.  Cedric vs. Ibushi could be a thing, as would ZSJ vs. either Metallik or Tozawa.  Those all sound amazing.  So glad I kept away from spoilers.

Also, yay for Swann getting some love!  Beyond pleased to see him hailing from Baltimore so I'll be rooting for him.

• Like 2

I really liked the Network Special. I'm paraphrasing, but Triple H said he knew he had something special when he found Cruiserweights that Daniel Bryan hadn't ever heard of. I'm slightly surprised South Africa didn't get any love, with Zizou Middoux being an obvious choice. 

Agree with the quarterfinalists being fairly obvious with the exception of the lower right bracket. Swann, TJP, Gargano, and Ciampa all have a legit shot. 

They have gone so over the top with the IBUSHI IS THE CLEAR FAVORITE!!!! stuff I almost wonder if they aren't going to have like Perkins or Swann go over him to help "establish" them more (especially if Ibushi doesn't sign with them)

Hunter was p. great on this also. "I knew it would be good when I had guys that even he (Bryan) hadn't heard of"

Kendrick and Bryan's Shawn Michaels story.

the Jack Gallagher piece. Can't believe I saw him wrestle in front of about 30 people in Cumbernauld, Scotland of all places. 

ZSJ coming off like a megastar.  

So much goodness.  

• Like 1

There was one moment where Mauro talked over Hunter and I got worried for a second, but then he went over the top thanking him and Hunter seemed like a pig in shit. If Mauro had done that to Steph he would be announcing Swerved instead of Smackdown.

Do we know if we're going to get every match in its entirety, or if it's going to be like the Dusty Invitational and we only get some of the matches?  I can't bring myself to watch Raw or Smackdown, but I love everything about what they are doing outside of their main shows.  NXT is my favorite wrestling product since maybe 2001, and I'm really looking forward to this tournament.

I thought The Brian Kendrick would've been a great top guy on SD in 2008 when he was heading in that direction for awhile, including a win over Jeff Hardy at the time, he was doing great. Just watched the Bracketology special, good stuff and hoping Kendrick does well in the tournament.

• Like 1