DVDVR Message Board

Matches that rule, but don't get pimped heavily anymore?(or never in some cases)

Biz Smarkie

The match that immediately came to mind when I saw this thread is Ric Flar vs Bobby Eaton 2/3 Falls from Clash of the Champions.  I absolutely loved that match when I was a kid, and clearly remember a bruised tailbone resulting from a Alabama Jam on my wrestling buddy. 

• Like 2

That was a hell of a finishing sequence.

Do people on this board like Bulldog vs. Hart from December '95? Just as good as Wembley IMO.

Yea, I'm in a Bulldog pimping mood.

Easily just as good.  In fact, it has always been one of my favorites.  Loved the blood in the match.  It worked great.  This is a GREAT example.  

Do people on this board like Bulldog vs. Hart from December '95? Just as good as Wembley IMO.

Easily just as good.  In fact, it has always been one of my favorites.  Loved the blood in the match.  It worked great.  This is a GREAT example.  

The IYH one where Bret blades so bad Bulldog's tights are stained pink? That match is so awesome.

Vader vs. Springsteen would fucking rule.

But would Vader agree to lay down and do the job for the Boss?

After a ref bump, the Boss is down and about to eat a Vader Bomb when Jon Landeau, potentially the greatest Heel Manager ever, waves out the Big Man. As those two Titans do battle, Bruce rolls out and reaches underneath the ring and pulls out....a mike stand!  Thundercrack!!!! An unconcious Vader is easy prey for a Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and the pin. 

• Like 1

Orton vs. HHH (last man standing, No Mercy 07): I don't think these two have had a good match together before or since, but this match was pretty much perfect. I don't know if it was the horrible setup or the fact that no one has ever really liked face HHH, but it never seemed this match got its just due. 

The IYH one where Bret blades so bad Bulldog's tights are stained pink? That match is so awesome.

Yep....Dec 1995.

Same show that had HHH vs. HOG in the mud pen match, an appearance by Santa Claus, and a Buddy Landel sighting.

Some things that come to mind:STEINERS VS. GORDY/DR. DEATH, CLASH OF CHAMPIONS 19 -- This was part of the NWA Tag Team tournament they held. This was a surprise match that came about because Doc and Gordy supposedly attacked someone or whatever. This is like 45 minutes of what feels like amateur wrestling but with punches. It's so friggin' good and brutal. The end of this RULES, too.

RAVEN/KAZ, SOME RANDOM WCW WORLDWIDE -- As much as a bloated mess as he became (and was), Raven was really awesome for a good amount of time. Here he's in this absurdly good 3-minute match with Kaz Hayashi (or whatever his name is). This is so friggin' good. The only match I can really compare it to off the top of my head is Dolph/ADR from this year after Wrestlemania in terms of how awesome a match can be in only a few seconds worth of time.RVD VS. BAM BAM BIGELOW, ECW -- I get all the RVD hate now but that dude was amazing for a lot of ECW stuff. This is the match where he beat Bam Bam to take the ECW TV Title in Buffalo, NY. It has one of the all-time craziest spots (and was on the ECW credits) where he does a forward flip from the corner into about the 18th row of the crowd.

STEVIE RICHARDS VS. SABU -- I forget what ECW shows this was at but this is legend. Stevie's the lost great worker of his era. Stevie was still in his Winger belly shirt era and the most disrespected guy on the roster. Here he's taking on The Homicidal, Suicidal, Genocidal madman in his prime in what looks, on paper, will be a squash of historic proportions. But something else takes hold. Stevie actually gets serious and gives Sabu all he can handle and more -- including hitting Sabu with what was then the nastiest Superkick of all-time. (Shawn Michaels/Shelton Benjamin since surpassed it.) Stevie doesn't get the 1-2-3 after that and knows his doom is here. Just great, simple storytelling.

EDGE vs. HEATH SLATER/JOHN CENA VS. DARREN YOUNG -- This was from that Raw where the whole show was Nexus singles matches and if anyone lost they were banished from the group. In the first match, a very game Heath Slater goes toe-to-toe against Edge. Edge is steaming mad because Slater pinned him the night before in that (also very good) elimination match. Edge finally gains control when Slater slithers to the floor. Edge is about to spear Slater into the steps but Heath wisely rolls into the ring to avoid it AND beats the 10 count because an infuriated Edge forgot about the count. The final match in the show was Cena vs. Young. Darren was the first Nexus member eliminated the night before and challenged Cena as a way to cement his standing in the group. He takes it to Cena and almost gets a series of flash pins. It then ends up on the floor and Young decides to use Heath's strategy against Edge and rams Cena into the ring steps in hopes to steal a countout win. Cena JUST gets into the ring on time (great near countout slide) and Darren Young has no Plan B past that. Cena then takes him apart and is going to hit the Attitude Adjuster but Young counters into a sunset flip. Cena, though, counters this into a very nasty looking STF for the win.

The match that immediately came to mind when I saw this thread is Ric Flar vs Bobby Eaton 2/3 Falls from Clash of the Champions.  I absolutely loved that match when I was a kid, and clearly remember a bruised tailbone resulting from a Alabama Jam on my wrestling buddy. 

One of my absolute favorite matches of all time. Flair does so much to put Bobby over and Bobby subtly sells everything The Champ does with just a little bit of extra oomph. Tells a fantastic story too.

Just got done watching this match as I go through all the Raws and ppvs of WWF 1996, Marc Mero vs. Steve Austin KOTR. Holy hell was this match great. You never hear anyone say anything about this match and I think I like it better than any of the Badd/DDP series which I watched a few months ago.

Windham and Luger Vs Tully and Arn from the first Clash is better than the oft-lauded Sting/Flair main event.

The Enforcers Vs Dustin Rhodes and Ricky Steamboat, in Steamer's WCW comeback match is probably the best mystery partner reveal ever.

The '91 War Games seems to stand in the shadow of the following year's, but is a great match in its own right, and features one of the best 5 minute segments of wrestling ever (the opening exchange between Windham and Pillman).

Whenever I hear Joey Styles or The Coach or Todd Grisham calling major WWE matches, I'm stunned.  They rotated through so many commentating teams during the hard brand split that I've completely forgotten who was calling RAW and when.

It still boggles my mind that Coach called a WrestleMania main event.

As has been mentioned, 2004 was a great Royal Rumble and will always be one of my favourites along with 2001. 1992 rightly gets praised lavished upon it, but these two are right up there with it in my eyes.

Also, even without a proper finish, this is a fucking great cage match. Really feels like a chaotic mess of a fight, in the best way possible, rather than just using the cage as a means to do one or two big highspots.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qp64_sd-14-03-08-edge-edgeheads-chavo-vs_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qqmr_sd-14-03-08-edge-edgeheads-chavo-vs_sport