DVDVR Message Board

[TV] July Television Discussion

Rev Ray

Gaten Matarazzo/Dustin as El Dandy Jr. is the cutest thing and cracks me up every time he's on screen. Love this show and I'm only a quarter of the way through the second episode.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Gaten Matarazzo/Dustin as El Dandy Jr. is the cutest thing and cracks me up every time he's on screen. Love this show and I'm only a quarter of the way through the second episode.

He's the best. For some reason, his generic blank hat cracks me up. I wonder if they looked for a kid actor missing his top teeth or if they just added that line to his bullies about them growing in, after he was cast, to explain it?

Nancy's boyfriend being a Jean Ralphio doppelganger is freaking me out.

• Like 2

One thing that has bothered me. Spoilering this for anyone who hasn't watched through episode 5 yet.

Spoiler

Hooper goes to the morgue and finds out Will's body is a dummy. At the beginning of the next episode, Will's funeral goes on as normal. Shouldn't the mortician that dressed the body have noticed it was a dummy too? I know the "State" sent in their own coroner, but they were gone by that point. Presumably Hooper would have zipped back up the body and it would have been handed straight to the mortician. Just one quick scene of someone from Hawkins coming across the cut up body would have helped quite a lot.

2 hours ago, elizium said:

One thing that has bothered me. Spoilering this for anyone who hasn't watched through episode 5 yet.

Hide contents

Hooper goes to the morgue and finds out Will's body is a dummy. At the beginning of the next episode, Will's funeral goes on as normal. Shouldn't the mortician that dressed the body have noticed it was a dummy too? I know the "State" sent in their own coroner, but they were gone by that point. Presumably Hooper would have zipped back up the body and it would have been handed straight to the mortician. Just one quick scene of someone from Hawkins coming across the cut up body would have helped quite a lot.

Spoiler

You'll learn that the staties are the public face of the DOE that control anything related to Hawkins National Laboratory. The State wasn't gone by that point. They're always there.

BTW, not to say the season was perfect, but my three biggest problems (if you want to even call them problems) were:

Spoiler

There's no way the Department of Energy lets Will, Hopper, Joyce, or anyone else just live. Realistically, they should all be dead. Maybe we'll find out in season 2 why they were allowed to live. Also, yes, I realize that Brenner told Hopper nothing would happen, but really, can you ever take an evil tv/movie government bad guy at their word?

The other problem I had was that the laboratory is still there, as is the portal, but nothing else is mentioned about either. Again, I'm guessing this comes up in season 2, but there have to be more monsters. Hell, they came across a hatched xenomorph looking egg.

Finally, how would doctors not do any kind of scan of Will's body to check for foreign bodies?

Like I said, those aren't huge issues for me, but they were things that bugged me. Some other spoilery random thoughts about the season:

Spoiler

When Barb is attacked and the world changes from light to dark, I think I blurted out, "holy shit, it's the Todash!" Sure enough, the Upside Down world is the world in between worlds where the stuff of nightmares lives. I fucking loved that.

In the finale after Will is rescued, I kept waiting for him to look like he was changed, and sure enough, he has been changed. Coughing up the bit of the Todash creature was fucking gross and flashing over to the Upside Down world was unexpected and cool. Really looking forward to where they go with that.

Non-spoilery takes, Hopper and Dustin are awesome, as is Steve's bat-work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elizium said:

I like thinking of him as young Judah Friedlander, he just hasn't learned the power of the hat.

On episode 7 now. I love how clueless Nancy and Mike's parents are about everything.

"You can talk to me!"

Finished the binge on an off day and overall am very pleased. I did think the series struggled the longer it went but never to the point of it being bad. I do worry a bit about a second season though.

It's very much a sign of the times though, in that it's a huge pastiche of a pastiche (Super 8). The original music was phenomenal though. And it looked great for a netflix budgeted series.

Started Stranger Things last and and finished tonight. Yeah, I'm definitely down for another season if it happens. It wasn't spectacular, but it was enjoyable with the weaker points not weighing it down too much.

Back in the 90s. I was on a very famous TV SHOOOOOOOW

Good so far...

I watched the entire season 1 episodes of The Shannara Chronicles strictly because it was on Netflix.  Bad acting, cheesy futuristic fantasy show...and I will be watching season 2.  Strange.

Someone needs to alert me when and if the score for Stranger Things gets released. I know the members of S U R V I V E did it, and most of their music is like that score (but more upbeat). There's a 10 minute version of the main theme floating around, too.

So apparently Sesame Street opted to not renew the contracts of Bob, Gordon and Luis. Bob is the last original human cast member left if I recall. This is kind of shitty to do to people that have devoted their professional lives to educating children

James

• Like 1