DVDVR Message Board

[TV] July Television Discussion

Rev Ray

There will be a season 2 of ACS about the mishandling of Hurricane Katrina. I think that's a misstep because I don't see there being nearly as much room for the kitsch and hamminess that made the OJ season so great, but who knows. 

About Uncle Buck... I just don't see how the concept translates to a series. Either he has to become a competent babysitter and the show isn't funny anymore, or they have to be the worst parents ever.

I finished up season 4 of ORPHAN BLACK last week.  I thought it was very enoyable overall but fell a little flat at the end. I guess I've just watched so much genre TV in my life that the old "recurring villain forms tentative alliance with the heroes, only to reveal they were secretly serving their own interests all along" trope doesn't really work for me anymore.  Like, all the stuff with Rachel was so obvious, I coudn't believe that's what they were really ending the season on until the credits came up.

I also disliked that the shape of the season meant that certain clones disappeared for long stretches of time.  Helena is MIA most of the season.  Alison sat out several eps, including the finale.  Even the new clone, Mika (aka BJORK CLONE), who seems so important early on, just kinda vanishes in the back end.

On 7/8/2016 at 7:57 PM, Brian Fowler said:

About Uncle Buck... I just don't see how the concept translates to a series. Either he has to become a competent babysitter and the show isn't funny anymore, or they have to be the worst parents ever.

I remember in the old series(back in the early 90's, didn't last very long), they killed the parents off(off screen) to solve that problem. Now WHY I would remember that is a whole different story. . . 

On 7/10/2016 at 11:38 AM, EVA said:

I finished up season 4 of ORPHAN BLACK last week.  I thought it was very enoyable overall but fell a little flat at the end. I guess I've just watched so much genre TV in my life that the old "recurring villain forms tentative alliance with the heroes, only to reveal they were secretly serving their own interests all along" trope doesn't really work for me anymore.  Like, all the stuff with Rachel was so obvious, I coudn't believe that's what they were really ending the season on until the credits came up.

I also disliked that the shape of the season meant that certain clones disappeared for long stretches of time.  Helena is MIA most of the season.  Alison sat out several eps, including the finale.  Even the new clone, Mika (aka BJORK CLONE), who seems so important early on, just kinda vanishes in the back end.

Some of the absences made sense, as Helena had to be out of the picture or she probably would have killed Rachel just for the sport of it. It was a weird season though. . . .

I enjoyed the season quite a bit, but still think EVA's critcisms are spot-on.  I thought Rachel's turn made sense, but was still so predictable that the other clones looked sort of dumb for trusting her, even a tiny bit.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:38 PM, EVA said:

The show jumped the shark slightly for me with the introduction of MK.  I know the sheep mask she wore is supposed to represent Dolly, but I can't help but associate it with the Wyatt Family so as a consequence, I can't take anything related to her very seriously..

11 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I enjoyed the season quite a bit, but still think EVA's critcisms are spot-on.  I thought Rachel's turn made sense, but was still so predictable that the other clones looked sort of dumb for trusting her, even a tiny bit.

Did they though? It seemed more to me that she just outmaneuvered them in general than anything else.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2016 at 9:51 AM, peterien said:

Burned through season one of Ballers over the last 2 days and i must say i really enjoyed it. I could easily pick out a dozen plotholes but that would take all the fun away. Thought it hit it's stride in eps 7-10 and am looking forward to s2.

Yeah pretty much.

I mean its fairly obvious to me that the majority of the early stuff is "plotlines we forgot to do for Entourage", but late in the season it gets pretty good.

• Like 1

Dunno if I've mentioned this already, but I caught a rerun of Eddie's World on Viceland and Cassandro showed off his lucha gym in El Paso, which was super cool. The pictures of him before being an exotico are pretty funny and it's good to see that if he isn't working in-ring regularly, he's teaching and has something good to fall back on. 

Speaking of which there are lots of cool new and old things on Viceland -- Black Market with Michael K. Williams (your standard NatGeo crime show but with Michael K. fucking Williams hosting), Eddie's World (great food/travel show with political undertones), Fuck, That's Delicious (great food/travel show with stoned rappers), Party Legends (animated party stories from semi-celebrities), the King of the Road skateboard massacre that just wrapped up, and all the great documentary stuff. At least Rupert Murdoch is doing one good thing in his miserable, mentally infantile life by funding something like this. You might get the hives over some shit like the other fat cook covered in tattoos but pick and choose and it's a great channel. 

Back to watching Kolchak before my Netflx expires.

the episode with the Knight has two great performances:

john Dehner as an actual amiable police captain and Hans Conreid chewing scenery as a museum curator. 

• Like 1

The most fanciful thing about this Kolchak episode is not the alien or its superhuman powers. 

a76f5818e4abd293f75ea9c9ad21d653_zpsqmgx

Also, a whos who of character actors

james gregory, mary wickes, dick van patten, arthur fiedler, phil leeds, len lesser and dick enberg as uncredited world series pxp radio man. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno if I've mentioned this already, but I caught a rerun of Eddie's World on Viceland and Cassandro showed off his lucha gym in El Paso, which was super cool. The pictures of him before being an exotico are pretty funny and it's good to see that if he isn't working in-ring regularly, he's teaching and has something good to fall back on. 

Speaking of which there are lots of cool new and old things on Viceland -- Black Market with Michael K. Williams (your standard NatGeo crime show but with Michael K. fucking Williams hosting), Eddie's World (great food/travel show with political undertones), Fuck, That's Delicious (great food/travel show with stoned rappers), Party Legends (animated party stories from semi-celebrities), the King of the Road skateboard massacre that just wrapped up, and all the great documentary stuff. At least Rupert Murdoch is doing one good thing in his miserable, mentally infantile life by funding something like this. You might get the hives over some shit like the other fat cook covered in tattoos but pick and choose and it's a great channel. 

Unless they've changed it since I last saw it, Fuck That's Delicious is hosted by a perpetually stoned Action Bronson, and the show with all the high rappers is "Traveling the Stars: Ancient Aliens with Action Bronson and Friends".

VICE Essentials is pretty great, too.

The best thing about KOLCHAK is how utterly corrupt the police are in it and how, at least for the first few episodes, there's like a different new corrupt Captain or Chief or whatever every week..oh and also the running gun battles that they are constantly having.  Like, the cops just show up blazing at vampires and aliens and never hit anything but maybe a few random people.

And, of course, how nonchalant Karl is in talking shit to them. God, I love that.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Unless they've changed it since I last saw it, Fuck That's Delicious is hosted by a perpetually stoned Action Bronson, and the show with all the high rappers is "Traveling the Stars: Ancient Aliens with Action Bronson and Friends".

VICE Essentials is pretty great, too.

Okay, pick nits. You know that Body and Alchemist are as stoned as Bronson most of the time but it doesn't show as much as it does with him. And Essentials goes under the "documentary" category I was talking about. As far as the new Ancient Aliens shit... that's gonna be hilarious. Melissa Etheridge? Too $hort? MC EIHT?! Yeah, I can laugh at that. 

Adding my voice to the choir. 2 episodes in and Stranger Things has been really entertaining. Love how its shot, love the score, love how they've cast actual awkward looking kids, even the attractive older sister is attractive in a real person way, not a Hollywood way.

2 quibbles; I hope Winona Ryder is given more to do than scream hysterically and what the hell is going on with Matthew Modine's hair? He's a small goatee away from being the new Colonel Sanders. There's a whole bunch of weird hair in this, like the boyfriend's crazy pompadour.

• Like 1